lens question

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Vespertine

lens question

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 pm

if i buy the pocket cinema camera, will i be able to use all my active canon EF lenses? if i need an adapter how much will it cost for an active one? and does anyone have a preference to a specific model?

also i have a tokina 16-28mm lens that i use...what is the crop factor on the pocket cam? what will my lens become then? and is this too zoomed in even at 16mm for filmmaking? or is is seen as acceptable.

adamroberts

Re: lens question

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 9:14 pm

I don't believe there are any active adapters that will let you control EF lenses from an MFT body.

There is however this option, bits its expensive. About as much as the camera:
http://www.mtfservices.com/home.html?pa ... egory_id=2

adamroberts

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Crop factor when compared to full frame DSLRS (135 film) is about 3x

Vespertine

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 9:37 pm

adamroberts wrote:Crop factor when compared to full frame DSLRS (135 film) is about 3x

wow, so much for filming in a room LOL...damn..how dissapointing =( so basically to film in my room ill be needing a 3mm fisheye? i was about to sell my 5DMKii for othe picture quality the BMPCC could give but i dont know now..it seems to have this crippling crop factor....dont kno wwhat to do

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Vespertine wrote:if i buy the pocket cinema camera, will i be able to use all my active canon EF lenses? if i need an adapter how much will it cost for an active one? and does anyone have a preference to a specific model?

The Pocket CC - like all BMD cameras - does not control zoom or focus at all, and aperture can only be set electronically before recording. So there is not much activity through the "active" mft mount anyway, yet at least it provides power to in-lens stabilisers and - hopefully - motorized powerzooms. You may loose part or all of this functionality depending on the type of EF-adapter you use.

also i have a tokina 16-28mm lens that i use...what is the crop factor on the pocket cam? what will my lens become then? and is this too zoomed in even at 16mm for filmmaking? or is is seen as acceptable.

Crop factor is 2.88, so your lens will look like a 46-80 mm lens. If that's acceptable for your filmmaking needs is totally up to you - personally i'd at least add a wider prime lens, maybe a 12 mm (looks like 35 mm), or better something below 10 mm (looks like 29 mm), if you can afford it.

adamroberts

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 6:21 am

Vespertine wrote:
adamroberts wrote:Crop factor when compared to full frame DSLRS (135 film) is about 3x

wow, so much for filming in a room LOL...damn..how dissapointing =( so basically to film in my room ill be needing a 3mm fisheye? i was about to sell my 5DMKii for othe picture quality the BMPCC could give but i dont know now..it seems to have this crippling crop factor....dont kno wwhat to do

Welcome to the world of Super 16mm. Many films have been shot on Super 16mm without an issue shooting in rooms.

All thus has been discussed at length. You should read the other threads on this forum as most of your questions will be answered.

If you are moving from a 5D you would be better off with the BMPC4K as it has an active EF mount and a Super 35mm chip.

Return to Cinematography