Where you storing your BMCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jules Bushell

Where you storing your BMCC?

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi,

I keep mine in my camera bag at the moment but probably bad for getting fungus and things? So thought I'd ask where/how you keep yours?

Regards,
Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Randy Walters

Re: Where you storing your BMCC?

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Mine actually stays out, fully rigged on a tripod - it's all ready to go. I have a van, so it's easy to lug the whole setup, fully intact, to wherever I'm heading.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Camera "bags" are usually not airtight (they're "breathable"), so will allow moisture to evaporate/escape over time. Depending on what a bag is made out of, and how it's designed, some bags are more breathable than others.

Water-proof cases (such as Pelican) and other hard-shell cases (such as shipping cases) tend to hold moisture in. When closed, this trapped moisture can promote mold to grow in lenses, causing permanent damage. When possible, keep the case's lid cracked open (and the cases' pressure release valve, too) so moisture can escape.

When waterproof/hardshell cases are closed, put dry silica-gel packets or canisters inside the case to absorb moisture. Silica-gel packets are available in a wide variety of sizes from camera dealers. Periodically the silica-gel must be replaced or refreshed (baked/dried), or it won't be able to absorb moisture.

A tip: I keep a #1520 Pelican case containing my camera & lenses cracked-open slightly when not in use (with the latches not latched) for ventilation. However, to prevent the inevitable accident of lifting the case by the handle and spilling the contents on the floor, I thread a lanyard through the padlock holes on the case, and loosely tie the lanyard in a knot, as a safety. That way the contents of the case can "breath", I won't break my lenses, and when home my cats won't mess with the contents. :-)

-

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Camera "bags" are usually not airtight (they're "breathable"), so will allow moisture to evaporate/escape over time. Depending on what a bag is made out of, and how it's designed, some bags are more breathable than others.

Water-proof cases (such as Pelican) and other hard-shell cases (such as shipping cases) tend to hold moisture in. When closed, this trapped moisture can promote mold to grow in lenses, causing permanent damage. When possible, keep the case's lid cracked open (and the cases' pressure release valve, too) so moisture can escape.

When waterproof/hardshell cases are closed, put dry silica-gel packets or canisters inside the case to absorb moisture. Silica-gel packets are available in a wide variety of sizes from camera dealers. Periodically the silica-gel must be replaced or refreshed (baked/dried), or it won't be able to absorb moisture.

A tip: I keep a #1520 Pelican case containing my camera & lenses cracked-open slightly when not in use (with the latches not latched) for ventilation. However, to prevent the inevitable accident of lifting the case by the handle and spilling the contents on the floor, I thread a lanyard through the padlock holes on the case, and loosely tie the lanyard in a knot, as a safety. That way the contents of the case can "breath", I won't break my lenses, and when home my cats won't mess with the contents. :-)

-

Cat 1: Oooo! Case! Oooo! Lens! Scratch!
Cat2: Is this my new litter box?

Good tip on the Pelican case. I'm going to keep mine cracked from now on.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Jason Dunphy

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 8:47 pm

I just keep mine out. Put it in the case when I'm ready to go

Aaron Scheiner

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 9:51 pm

I keep my cameras in Porta Brace PB-4100F Pelican-like cases :) . Enough space for a Switronix Powerbase 70wHr battery, a Tiffen filter kit, a lens and a pack of SSDs :P .

Alexander Arndt

PostSun Jul 07, 2013 12:05 am

as far of Glases , store them under 60% humidity. Ill think that will do for BMCC,too.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Jul 07, 2013 12:20 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote: ...Cat2: Is this my new litter box? ...

Several years ago, Cat-1 did exactly this with one of my large hardshell shipping cases.

Was not funny at the time, but has become a running joke (so to speak) since.

D*mn cats! :lol:

-

Benton Collins

PostThu Jul 11, 2013 1:51 pm

I often keep mine out too, all rigged and on a tripod, but I place a thin nylon laundry bag with a draw string over the whole rig to keep dust out.

Return to Cinematography