BRAW is actually Macro-Blocking RAW

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

pnguyen720

Re: BRAW is actually Macro-Blocking RAW

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Anyway, what real improvements in Braw has there been since the first version. I don't care if it is version 1.5 or whatever, what dues that mean, what improved?? Has so much if the stuff discussed back then been fixed up?

Thanks.

I thought the 1.5 release was just the new Player and the Adobe Premiere integration. Nothing to do with in camera.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 6:03 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:After I applied a better de-noising method through NeatVideo based on a noise sample of the camera, the sky looked, well, neat. :D

But, Neat is temporal based if I recall. You're needing to apply NR in camera to make an image more easily compress-able, so it has to happen real time. I think that's the trickier part to deal with.

JB

Neat had both method space and temporal NR, but need a lots of computing power to work (in excellent way, I’m neatvideo customer from 2001),
I doubt that today it’s easy to add that kind of algorithm in a camera for real time denoise, I need 3 gpu (980ti) to have neatvideo on 4K raw file at 12 FPS ...
May be in future... :-)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Robert Niessner

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 6:15 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:After I applied a better de-noising method through NeatVideo based on a noise sample of the camera, the sky looked, well, neat. :D

But, Neat is temporal based if I recall. You're needing to apply NR in camera to make an image more easily compress-able, so it has to happen real time. I think that's the trickier part to deal with.

John, NeatVideo has spatial and temporal NR.
And there are new methods by using deep video to reduce noise in real-time without using motion compensation:
https://github.com/m-tassano/fastdvdnet

and the paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.01361.pdf

With that method BMD could shoot a lot of scenes uncompressed and feed those sources into the network for training and than apply that algorithm in camera. I guess that will only be possible with a future camera with tensor cores or a similar neural network processor. But it would yield superior results.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Wayne Steven

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 2:32 am

Lol. As I keep saying, mobile or Nvidia tegra.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/autonomous ... d-systems/

Ambarella uses temporal noise reduction in there little cheap chips. I imagine the Sony mirrorless 7 series also use one of it's more advanced designs. They have done a lot of work for Japanese brands.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 2:34 am

pnguyen720 wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:Anyway, what real improvements in Braw has there been since the first version. I don't care if it is version 1.5 or whatever, what dues that mean, what improved?? Has so much if the stuff discussed back then been fixed up?

Thanks.

I thought the 1.5 release was just the new Player and the Adobe Premiere integration. Nothing to do with in camera.

It would be hard to believe they didn't do a lot of performance improvement since the first showing.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

antoine

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 9:48 am

They are changing small details, like metadata, bug fixes and API changes. Maybe they'll add a new Blackmagic Color Science version at some point. Feels like the compressor and decompressor didn't change (so blocking artifacts won't change), why would they change it ?
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

levisdavis

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 4:21 am

Processing wise, thanks for the feedback! For what it's worth, sure appreciate the here and now. Truly a great moment.
Levi Davis
Professional Imagery. Simple.
azcamera.biz

deezid

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Lol. As I keep saying, mobile or Nvidia tegra.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/autonomous ... d-systems/

Ambarella uses temporal noise reduction in there little cheap chips. I imagine the Sony mirrorless 7 series also use one of it's more advanced designs. They have done a lot of work for Japanese brands.

Even Panasonic does and I don't want it.
It always creates ghosting and smearing artifacts with low contrast detail...
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

Wayne Steven

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Fair enough Dennis. With poor tracking that it does that.

Re-edit. Hmm, maybe the fpga design lacks processing implementation power to do that. Let me think. Nope, nearly 3am. One way would be to determine if an object has moved, leave old noise in place in hard situations, for resolve to deal with. Instead of ghosting etc, you get noise for resolve to clean up. At least I hope that is the artifacts you mean. Maybe, resolve can be programmed to clean up the present problems you see. If only they used something like that NVIDIA system, which is set up for artificial intelligence computational video feeds, they could do it on camera, probably?
Previous

Return to Cinematography