Flicker on the Ursa Mini 4k EF. Normal?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Harri Järvinen

Flicker on the Ursa Mini 4k EF. Normal?

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 6:16 pm

I would like to ask your opinion:
I get flicker in every shot that shows up in image and waveform monitor evenly across the whole rgb-signal. Always the same type on pattern. Happens also in natural light. Dark shots and light shots.
Support says this is "within tolerances" for this camera.

Here is a example video file, size 55Mb:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10uBC6 ... OuNaneR8bI

Waveform behaviour:

(Open fullscreen to see better)

I have seen footage from this camera shot in low light but there is not this kind of flicker present. Only regular noise and fixed pattern noise, which would be totally ok, but this flicker is affecting low light shots for me and I dont know how to fix it in post. In lighter shot it doesnt really show but it's still there even in those shots, so it's not a low light issue(?)

I appreciate any info!

Jack Fairley

Re: Flicker on the Ursa Mini 4k EF. Normal?

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 6:20 pm

That shot is way underexposed. Can you provide a sample of the recorded media itself, and not a youtube video?
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Harri Järvinen

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:That shot is way underexposed. Can you provide a sample of the recorded media itself, and not a youtube video?

Hi, theres a download link in the message for downloading a sample file. It's shot a in a very dimly lit room (theater)

Michael Moore

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 8:05 pm

I'm afraid that the answer is: is normal for ursa mini 4K.I have shooting with 3 different UM4K and all have flikering in underexposed area.At maxim 800 ISO is more visible, at 400 is less but still there.Its a big issue of this model.Blackmagic don't solve this from 4 years ago when is annoucement this model.

Harri Järvinen

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 8:49 pm

Michael Moore wrote:I'm afraid that the answer is: is normal for ursa mini 4K.I have shooting with 3 different UM4K and all have flikering in underexposed area.At maxim 800 ISO is more visible, at 400 is less but still there.Its a big issue of this model.Blackmagic don't solve this from 4 years ago when is annoucement this model.

Thanks for this info! Its good to know this.
No flicker visible in this example:
Last edited by Harri Järvinen on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RTX 4080, Ryzen 7th Gen, 64 RAM
  • Resolve 18.6 /w Decklink 8k Pro
  • Nvidia Studio Driver
  • Win10

Jack Fairley

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 8:50 pm

Harri Järvinen wrote:
Jack Fairley wrote:That shot is way underexposed. Can you provide a sample of the recorded media itself, and not a youtube video?

Hi, theres a download link in the message for downloading a sample file. It's shot a in a very dimly lit room (theater)

I don't know if you could have exposed the image better, but that is WAY too dark for the Ursa cameras. They are native ISO 400, and get noisy when there isn't enough light.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Harri Järvinen

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 8:53 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:
Harri Järvinen wrote:

I don't know if you could have exposed the image better, but that is WAY too dark for the Ursa cameras. They are native ISO 400, and get noisy when there isn't enough light.

May I ask, do you consider this type of flicker to be noise? I'm a bit confused by your wording.
RTX 4080, Ryzen 7th Gen, 64 RAM
  • Resolve 18.6 /w Decklink 8k Pro
  • Nvidia Studio Driver
  • Win10

Harri Järvinen

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 9:28 pm

I ended up selling the camera to a guy who knew about the poor low light handling and was ok with it.
I won't be using any blackmagic camera in the future.

Return to Cinematography