DaVinci 18.1 build 16 is crashing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cesarhrnandez

DaVinci 18.1 build 16 is crashing

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Hi,

I'm facing a frequent DaVinci Resolve crashing it's closing suddenly no matter what I'm doing it just crash even when I'm doing nothing. Sometimes it shows this message "gpu memory is full". I have re-installed NVIDIA drivers (using latest studio version) and re-installed DaVinci Resolve as well but same issue.

I have tested "automatic" GPU selection and manual GPU selection as well (NVIDIA) but nothing helped.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 16 threads, x86-64
RAM: 32GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 6GB

Jim Simon

Re: DaVinci 18.1 build 16 is crashing

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 4:19 pm

Give the FAQ a good read. It goes over some troubleshooting steps, as well as what information to post if those fail.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

drknsss

Re: DaVinci 18.1 build 16 is crashing

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 4:48 pm

I hope this helps:

1. If you are coming from the free version to the paid version there are more options available in the paid version and these features will quickly use up all available memory on a card with less than 16gb and crash out.

2. My first time using the update it crashed once every 5 minutes. I just kept going and eventually the crashes became less frequently. after three days no more crashes..., Note that i upgraded my gpu and that could of contributed to the instability of my computer.

3. I have upgraded from a 1070 to a 2060 to a 3070ti to a 3090 in the past 2 years and at each upgrade I had less and less issues with the software...., you will not read much about this aspect of Resolve but this is the reality. As one forum member put it " the software is free but the hardware to run it properly is not".

4. I hope you stick with Resolve as in the long run its the best platform for creators once you learn it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve