Best Walkthrough for Resolve 18.5/6

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EireTV

Best Walkthrough for Resolve 18.5/6

PostSun Nov 26, 2023 11:55 pm

Guys coming from Adobe CS6 into Resolve is so far a very frustrating experience.

And I went straight to buy Resolve Studio btw....

The method of importing the Temples and Sound is convoluted and more complicated than it shoud be.

Trying to work through outdated tutorials is confusing....for instance trying to apply effects like Lens flares from a tutorial it seems that they are not embedded in a box which means tutorials on these are outdated.

Why go this nodes way and not just sequence effects through a timeline anyway which is how it was always done.

Robert Niessner

Re: Best Walkthrough for Resolve 18.5/6

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:41 am

EireTV wrote:Guys coming from Adobe CS6 into Resolve is so far a very frustrating experience.

And I went straight to buy Resolve Studio btw....

The method of importing the Temples and Sound is convoluted and more complicated than it shoud be.

Trying to work through outdated tutorials is confusing....for instance trying to apply effects like Lens flares from a tutorial it seems that they are not embedded in a box which means tutorials on these are outdated.

Why go this nodes way and not just sequence effects through a timeline anyway which is how it was always done.

I understand your frustration as Resolve works very differently from Adobe CS6.
But believe me, you have to sit through this for some time and when it clicks you won’t look back.
Have been on the same journey.

Don’t try to learn everything at once. The feature list is massive and overwhelming.
Start with the edit page, do simple editing tasks. Learn the keyboard shortcuts. Work through beginner’s tutorials for some days.
Then get accustomed with the color page. Nodes look complicated at first, but need just to click in too.
Do only simples tasks and beginner’s tutorials, otherwise it will throw you off.

After a few weeks you will start to see the picture.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Peter Cave

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:50 am

Also, effects can be applied in both the Edit Page timelines and the Color Page nodes.
Don't compare to Premiere, learn the way Resolve works as an integrated package.
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 2:43 pm

The biggest mistake I made after switching from Premiere Pro was thinking that my previous experience meant I could just jump into a new NLE without difficulty.

Nope.

Thankfully, BMD has made some really great training resources available for us.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books

I recommend the Beginner's Guide as a solid groundwork for working with Resolve. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve