Color Correction Issues - New User - Meh

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DanniiCat

Color Correction Issues - New User - Meh

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 7:34 pm

Hello there - first post on the forums!!!

I am used to Reddit, so if I am in need of being flamed, bring it on - but after you answer my question, please, haha.

I am NEW to this video thing- and ALL self taught, originally learning DAWs in the late 90s and early 2000s on pirated copies of Acid and FruityLoops. Only recently have I traversed into video editing, and good LORD - color correction - WHAT THE ACTUAL EFF? The BM format that the BMPCC 4k records in - the muted bleh tones - which are great if you know what you are doing, and I totally appreciate that t provides absolute control for you talented artists behind the computers making the visual art we see on the screens, but for some of us middle aged, ornery old woman, man....my patience - thin it is....

My question is, I am mid level-expert in Vegas. (Don't act like you aren't impressed, LOL.) But I was never trained properly. What do you masters recommend someone who is REALLY having trouble with color grading to do - like start at "This is a camera. This is a lens." sort of tutorial. Or is there a color correction overview that basically applies to all visuals. In audio, once you master the art of reverb, key signatures and compression, whatever the program is, you can figure it out. No so much here. Unless I am the problem.

Going from Vegas to DaVinci and my AUTO COLOR button no longer doing all the work for me - I am spending WAY too much time on messing with curves and gains and whatever the heck histograms are. My video all look different, though I shoot from a static location. It drives me NUTS.

Can't you cheat through color grading like learning Photoshop, just a few OH THAT'S HOW - keystrokes or is it something you really have to UNDERSTAND?

Stupid good programs like this make dummies like me have to learn stuff. THIS is why I never got into ProTools and ditches audio all together. (kicks sand....)

Thank you for any help offered, and if I offended anyone with my intellectual inferiorority, well, meh.

Thanks again!!

~dannii

Charles Bennett

Re: Color Correction Issues - New User - Meh

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:26 am

I would suggest that you have a look at the free training materials provided by Blackmagic. You will find them here.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/training
There is also the Color section of the Resolve Reference Manual which you will find in Resolve's Help dropdown menu.
You may also find these YouTube channels useful.
https://www.youtube.com/@DarrenMostyn
https://www.youtube.com/c/LearnColorGrading/videos
Last edited by Charles Bennett on Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Ninja 2, Zoom H2n.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:33 am

Well, you can’t really spare learning a bit more in depth about color grading. It just takes time and experimentation.

Blackmagicdesign has some really good free tutorials for many aspects of Resolve on their website.

Cullen Kelly has an excellent YouTube channel regarding color correction.

But I understand that everything can look very daunting at the beginning and you need some easy beginners approach.

If you are not happy with the look Blackmagicdesign’s LUTs will give you, you can try my free LUTs here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=151668
I think the LBK-BMD_Gen5_neutral_High-desat_v10 can be a good start for a finished look.

You can copy the LUT onto your SD or CFast card, or onto your SSD drive and then import the LUT into your camera. The camera user manual has a how to import and use custom LUTs, it’s pretty straight forward.

You can also place the LUT into Resolve’s LUT folder for usage in Resolve.

If you are recording in BRAW make sure to get a good exposure (preferably stay at ISO 400 and adjust lighting and lens aperture). You can set the white balance, but with BRAW also adjust later in post.

Import you footage, edit as usual. In the color page go to the RAW tab
https://images.blackmagicdesign.com/ima ... 1601274732

You can change the RAW settings for a clip after you selected for „Decode using:“ „Clip“
Here you adjust your white balance and make other adjustments.

Then place my LUT on the last node (if you have more than one nodes). Right click the node and select the LUT from the LUT list or drag it from the LUT window (activate it in the upper left corner).

That should give you a good basic look.
You can apply your settings to other clips by selecting them and then middle clicking on the graded clip.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Peter Cave

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 9:01 am

You are using a very sophisticated professional Media Mangement, Editing, Effects, Color Grading, Audio mixing and mastering app. It is NOT a simple app to use and is really NOT designed for the casual user who wants automatic "one click" solutions.

You either invest some time and effort learning it or use a simpler easier software like Vegas.
Understanding the principles of color grading is required to get the best from the software.

It's a bit like moving from a regular car to a Formula One racing car... the average driver will crash on the first turn! It's not the car's fault, it's the lack of driver experience.

Wishing you the best of luck with Resolve. Many others have made successful transitions to resolve from other software. Persistence & patience will pay off!
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Nick2021

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 10:41 am

DanniiCat wrote:"This is a camera. This is a lens." sort of tutorial. Or is there a color correction overview that basically applies to all visuals. In audio, once you master the art of reverb, key signatures and compression, whatever the program is, you can figure it out. No so much here. Unless I am the problem.

I hope the first part is a joke because if you need help with the camera you need to start there and get all the basics down. The bigger the mess you make in camera the less hair you'll have left once you've cleaned up the mess. Assuming you can even clean it up. In short ignore colour grading until the stuff coming out of the camera isn't the issue. You don't want to learn grading on bad recordings. It would be like learning to drive on a car with broken steering and pedals that don't really work. :o

Resolve has an auto colour feature. The question I'd ask is what's your goal? There are people here who can point out how to grade a Hollywood feature film. But if your goals are more modest there isn't much point in learning every single dark corner of the alchemist's lab.

Assuming you want more than the auto colour button start with Colour Managed.

Start with him.

Jim Simon

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 2:37 pm

Stat here, Dannii.

And then...do the training! ;)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

DanniiCat

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 9:12 pm

Wow - these responses have been incredible - thank you so much for your input - I actually had NO idea there were Blackmagic tutorials anywhere. Shows you my research prowess, eh? Like the one post said - you start looking and get incensed at how much it looks like you have to learn, dizzy with ADD thoughts and NO idea where to start, I stayed stagnant.

And, yeah - I opted for a setup for something that honestly would have been perfect with an iPhone and a mic setup - well, Samsung, anyway - Haha.

But seriously, I was talking to the marketing guy here at work, and he actually said that color correction would tickle the same neurons in my brain that physics and chemistry seem to. He thinks I would actually love the OCD aspect of it - and he mentioned that it's cool watching movies after you get familiar with color correction, grading, etc, and noticing the subtle nuances that these adjustments allow the cinematographers to be able to convey emotions and anxiety - just with light and shadows.

My inner nerd "emo" girl cracks a grin at that, actually.

I like that these tutorials start at color grading. In the past, with DAW tutorials anyway, I have had to sit through classes that started way earlier than my skill level and got bored and clicked off right away. Adult ADHD: it sucks.

Thanks again everyone - loved the Formula 1 reference. Even Scott, the marketing guy, said, "Do you even REALLY understand the level of awesome the camera you have has and the freedom it allows you to create with?"

Humbled me in one punch.

Off to watch these vids - actually a little later - after work, anyway. :)

Thanks again. You guys are the best!!!

~dannii

DanniiCat

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 9:27 pm

"It's a bit like moving from a regular car to a Formula One racing car... the average driver will crash on the first turn! It's not the car's fault, it's the lack of driver experience."

This hit home SO much. I used to - AGES ago - be a pretty (very) good (top 6 in the state, against 3500 other girls) flute player. I started on a piece of crap Yamaha when I was around 10-11 - always wanting to upgrade to the pretty Miyazawa flute, but my teacher would not let me. I begged and begged - and she let me TRY hers. It sounded like CRAP. I was HEARTBROKEN. She said until you learn on that one - motioning to my $200 beginner's flute, you will not be able to truly understand what it takes to make this one sound as good as it can - gesturing to her $13,500 flute.

What-EVER. :roll:

She was right. And so are you. I never upgraded to that fabulous one- but at around 17 years old, I did upgrade to a really nice professional Gemeinhardt that would have been a nightmare for my 11 year old self to even attempt to use. You have to start slow and learn and FAIL - to understand and appreciate it.

So, I TOTALLY get it.

Square one - here I come. Thank you for being patient with me, yet honest with me at the same time. :P

~dannii

Robert Niessner

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 7:49 pm

Glad we could motivate you to dive deeper in the beautiful art of color correction :-)
Once it clicks you will enjoy and explore even more.

If you have questions along your journey just ask and we try to help or at least point you into the right direction.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 5:14 am

DanniiCat wrote:Can't you cheat through color grading like learning Photoshop, just a few OH THAT'S HOW - keystrokes or is it something you really have to UNDERSTAND?

I've been doing this for more than 40 years, and it's still a lot of hard work, learning new things every day, keeping up with tutorials, reading the manuals, and practicing. I tell students: "learning how to be a colorist is a journey... not a destination."

For the basics, Mixing Light, FXPHD, Ripple Training, Lowepost, TACResolveTraining, iColorist, MonoNodes, and Demystify-color are all good. Each has something the other doesn't have, but they're all useful. The free textbooks and videos on BMD's site are a good place to start for beginners:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve