Davinci Resolve rendering video strangely and now crashing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

vogtin

Davinci Resolve rendering video strangely and now crashing

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 2:58 am

Hey everyone.

I recently started teaching myself how to use Davinci Resolve and created a few of my own videos, so I don't know that much about it overall, but I have a small bit of experience. I offered to make a testimonial video for my work, and I have just finished making it.

However, whenever I try to render it (I have tried with different frame rate render settings and different resolutions just to try to make it work) and it either comes out with the audio faster than the video, so about 5 seconds out of time, or no sound at all. The last time I tried making a new timeline with the project settings FR set to 29.97 and copied everything over, I rendered it with a codec of H.265, 1920x1080 resolution, and a frame rate of 30, it took nearly 2 hours, and the resulting video file wouldn't even open.

My project and video & audio clips (attributes) are all at 29.97, but render only allows options of 24 or 30 frame rates (I tried rendering with both).

I also had a lot of problems with editing because it was so laggy and slow that it only played normally for about 2 seconds before lagging and jumping. I tried EVERYTHING the internet suggested to make it run smoother; maybe this ruined something in the settings to make it not render properly. Towards the end, DR just started crashing, so I tried to update to 18.6.3 (I backed up an export to my hard drive in case, but it seemed fine), and to be honest, I think it made it worse. I can't open it anymore now because it keeps crashing.

I am using an HP ProBook with 24GB RAM. I have limited DR to using 15.5GB of memory. Is there any other info you need?

Please help :( the video and audio are both fine separately, I have no idea why it isn't working, I worked really hard on this, and I was really hoping to impress my boss...

Marc Wielage

Re: Davinci Resolve rendering video strangely and now crashi

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 5:42 am

Without opening up a project, go under the Resolve Help menu and choose "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop," park that on a file-sharing service, and post the link here on the forum.

I'll be honest: Resolve on a laptop is tricky, depending on the source file format, the timeline settings, and how hard you push the session in terms of processing.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

vogtin

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 7:51 pm

Thanks for your help, I have attached the diagnostics log.
Yes I know that a laptop isn't optimal, I am updating to a desktop soon but I have created 2 (nearly finished the 3rd) youtube videos on it (/@inkaandfabi), that are way longer than this one, with more cuts on the videos, audio and effects and they were completely fine while editing and rendering - didn't have any problems at all other than slightly laggy while editing, but it was doable.

I tried creating the diagnostics log, but davinci crashes before that happens... It loads a ZIP file to my desktop, but the file is empty. :(

Like I said before, this never happened before, and I have spent at least 100+ hours editing already on different projects... Should I revert to 18.6.2? or 18.6.1?

vogtin

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 10:40 pm

Return to DaVinci Resolve