Don't be like me kids

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Stephen Dixon

Don't be like me kids

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 12:00 am

I am doing a multi screen projection, and for sanity-preserving reasons I'm doing the whole thing as one big comp. This of course is taxing the memory limits of my GPUs, and has turned into a bit of a nightmare. Every. Single. Night. My. Render. Was. Failing. So I broke it down into smaller units, attempted pre-render everything, and still every morning I was coming and finding the Resolve had crashed. Absolutely nothing worked, even the simplest pre-render would die. I have been pulling my hair out trying to get this stupid thing to render.
Then today I noticed that my USB license dongle is plugged into my monitor. Yes, so? Well, what do I do every night after I've started the render, turned widdershins thrice and drawn a chalk circle around the computer? To save the polars and keep Greta Thunberg happy, I switch off my monitors, don't I? The monitors with the license dongle in them. That dongle that Resolve checks for every few minutes. Resolve wasn't crashing it was just checking for the dongle which was hanging uselessly from the switched-off monitor and quitting.
Pro-tip: Plug your dongle into the onboard USB slots.

CougerJoe

Re: Don't be like me kids

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 12:46 am

Resolve wasn't crashing it was just checking for the dongle which was hanging uselessly from the switched-off monitor and quitting.

I've read about this happening with other software too. When there's a licencing problem such as a lack of a dongle or a firewall, the software just closes, instead of stopping and saying 'no licence' or what Adobe does 'no subscription for product'

Do these companies think they are confusing people who are trying to hack their software, I very much doubt that, it confuses paid customers.

Stephen Dixon

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 2:44 am

Yes, exactly. I could have saved several day's work if on the first day I'd found a 'license check failed, render aborted' error or somesuch instead of just no Resolve open. Sometimes BMD like to sneak in some really evil UX, like the "Render All" button on the export tab that changes to "Render 1" when you add something to the queue.
What would really help is a standalone command line renderer, like AE has. Then errors and messages get logged to stdout / stderr and can be recorded and acted on.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 5:07 am

Stephen Dixon wrote:Pro-tip: Plug your dongle into the onboard USB slots.

Yeah, Blackmagic Support has always been very specific that the dongles and also the control surfaces only work reliably when they're plugged directly into the computer. Even a USB hub can cause issues. We got around it by gradually replacing our USB dongles with electronic licenses instead, but we saved the dongles "just in case."
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

visualfeast

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 12:05 am

Some monitors will have a setting to keep USB ports alive/not sleep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/75TB RAID/3080ti/Intensity Pro 4K/2x ProArt PA278CGV/Dell U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.2 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Return to DaVinci Resolve