Render cache/Render in place a selected transition?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bmgnamdd

Render cache/Render in place a selected transition?

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:04 pm

Hi guys,
I'm usually in this situation: I've added many transitions to my timeline. Now the one I've just added is a heavy Fusion transition and the only one that my machine can't play in real time.
- If I turn on Smart render cache, Resolve will start caching all transitions and fusion effects. I will have to wait for everything to be cached just to get to the only one transition that I do want to be cached. It wastes time and storage space.
- If I turn on User mode render cache, it will cache all transitions which still wastes time and storage space.
- If I uncheck "Automatically cache transitions" in User mode, then right-click the clips around the transition, set Render Cache Fusion Output to on, it will cache the clips and not the transition.
- If I Render in place the clips around the transition, it renders out two separate clips and not the transition.

So is there a way to make Resolve render cache selected transitions instead of all transitions? (I know I could make a compound clip and render it in place but it'd be more steps and slower than render cache)

kinvermark

Re: Render cache/Render in place a selected transition?

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 4:55 am

AFAIK there it no way to limit the caching activity to a specific part of the timeline. Would be nice to have!

IMO the render cache is too "fragile" for me in practice, so it ends up re-caching all the time -which is a real problem if you are using heavy fusion effects!

Best compromise seems to be to only allow resolve to cache all the minor transitions in the background (user mode), but use the compound clip / render-in-place workflow for the big stuff - as you have suggested.

Be interesting to hear what others do to handle the heavy fusion stuff ?
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 2070 Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio 18 beta

Steve Alexander

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 12:33 pm

It is odd that there is no 'render' option for a selected transition considering that Resolve can render transitions in User mode. Great feature request.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.2.1

panos_mts

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 12:55 pm

A workaround is to put an adjustment clip on top of the transition, right click on it and enable the "Render Cache Color Output"

Steve Alexander

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 12:57 pm

panos_mts wrote:A workaround is to put an adjustment clip on top of the transition, right click on it and enable the "Render Cache Color Output"

Nice tip, panos! Thx.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve