DaVinci Resolve Lagging

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

frxsh_7

DaVinci Resolve Lagging

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 2:13 am

So this has bugged me for a little while now, I built my pc only a couple months ago, but this issue is really starting to get under my skin.

I'm in the cut page, just doing a rough cut on my footage. It's 1080p 30fps, with a simple color grade added, some audio grading, and the media is optimized and rendered in place. The audio continues to cut out and not play while the video continues, and this is remedied (somewhat) by going into a different timeline and then going back to the one I was working on.

The footage is overall just REALLY laggy!! And, when working with the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor, the whole "smooth" idea of the scroll wheel gets taken away when I'm having such crappy performance.

Oh, and I'll bet it's not my machine's fault; it's built with an Intel core-i9-13900K (Not overclocked), NVidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, 64 GB of DDR5 RAM, and I have 3 TB of fast SSD storage and 6 TB of semi-fast HDD storage.

I don't think this affects it, but the footage is stored on the HDD, and I'm pretty sure the render in place version of the footage is stored on the SSD. This is really bothering me, and making my work take so long. And before anyone mentions it, I've turned down timeline proxy resolution to quarter, and made sure that Resolve is running on my dedicated GPU.

I really don't know why this is so sluggish, unless this is just how the software is, which would be really disappointing and underwhelming. I would really appreciate help with this.

(Extra: my PC scored ~39,000 on cinebench, and on BlackMagic Raw Speed Test, CPU got 115 FPS (Max test settings) and the GPU got 54 FPS.)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci Resolve Lagging

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 2:23 am

Is your timeline set to 30fps and HD res?
Try updating GPU driver.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

frxsh_7

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 3:01 am

My timeline settings are right, and I just finished updating all my drivers (I believe. I had to go into device manager and update my Graphics Card Drivers in there, no updates found, then updated with some other Windows feature it offered, and then had to restart the computer, not bc it crashed, it just needed to finish the update. I'm new to windows) After that, I opened Resolve again, and I'm still having the stuttery playback, but even worse, now I don't have ANY audio!! Other applications play audio, so it's not that my volume is turned down, but Resolve isn't outputting any audio!! I don't really understand all of the drivers stuff, so sorry if this is an obvious fix, but now I need help with this too.

Thanks

frxsh_7

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 3:05 am

Nevermind about the audio. I went into preferences and changed the audio output from my microphone to my headphones... Sorry *slaps forehead*

I'm still having video playback issues. I also forgot to mention in the original post that I've also had audio lag troubles, the audio is cutting out or is playing really slowly for a sudden second, out of sync with the video, and then seems to catch up just fine. The footage was recorded with a built-in mic, so the audio syncing isn't the problem. The audio isn't always out of sync, just occasionally.

Thanks

Steve Alexander

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 1:11 pm

frxsh_7 wrote:...had to go into device manager and update my Graphics Card Drivers in there, no updates found, then updated with some other Windows feature it offered, and then had to restart the computer...

This is not how one should update their graphics card drivers. You should go to the nVidia site and download the STUDIO driver for the 4070 (maybe the latest driver would work but sometimes you have to try a couple of different drivers). Note that when you install the nVidia driver that you really must select the 'Custom' install option and then click on the checkbox to perform a clean install of the driver (removing all settings of the old driver).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.2.1

frxsh_7

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 12:47 am

Thanks for the replies, I updated my drivers following your suggested method. I now have GeForce Experience installed and updated everything to the latest drivers with the custom setting. I'm still having the same problems running DaVinci Resolve smoothly, but most of the problem seems to be in the Cut page. The Edit page is still underperforming as well, but it seems that it's significantly worse on the Cut page. I'm open to trying more suggestions, thanks for your willingness to help, everyone.

Nick2021

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 5:43 am

What kind of source material?

frxsh_7

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 9:31 pm

The clip I'm working with is a 45-minute, 1080p 29.97 fps .mts file. The file is about 4 GB. The total video bitrate is 12,020 kbps, and audio is 256 kbps, 48 kHz. Seems like pretty normal stuff. Should I try overclocking my RAM? I have 64 GB of DDR5 6400 MHz RAM, but Task Manager says it's operating at 4800 MHz.

Nick2021

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 4:14 am

I can't see how overclocking your ram would help. You can turn on the XMP if it's an Intel system but I doubt it'll fix your problem.

Dave1943

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 4:44 am

What CODEC is being used to record the problematic footage?
Apple M1 Ultra
20 Cores
128 GB memory
GPU Cores 48
2TB SSD

frxsh_7

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 9:53 pm

The Video Codec is AVCHD High L4.0 and the Audio Codec is AC3. I didn't shoot the footage. Also, I think I figured out why (at least partially) I was lagging: I color and audio graded before the editing. Turns out that slows down a system a lot. I found the bypass fusion effects and color effects button at the top of the timeline viewer; that helps a little bit, but going forward, I'm going to grade with adjustment clips when I'm done with the cutting (It's just a lot of small cuts. That's why I graded before, so that it would copy the grade to every clip; it's all one shot, so it works fine on paper. I think adjustment clips would do far better for system optimization tho)

Thanks

Return to DaVinci Resolve