Resolve M2 crash

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

toti0001

Resolve M2 crash

PostThu Dec 07, 2023 6:47 pm

HI

RESOLVE CRASHES WHEN MINIMIZE WINDOW but only when there is media loaded in project??

mac studio m2 max

THANKS

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: RESOLVE CRASHES WHEN MINIMIZE WINDOW

PostThu Dec 07, 2023 10:31 pm

After restarting Resolve from such a crash, generate a Resolve diagnostics log from the Resolve Help menu, then put the log file on a file sharing site and provide a link to the file here.

New forum users may not be allowed to post URLs. If that happens, just put a space near the front of the URL so the forum system doesn't see it as a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

toti0001

Re: Resolve M2 crash

PostFri Dec 08, 2023 7:35 am

Thank you for you help

but for some reason today ofcorse, its not doing it anymore to create the crash report!

toti0001

PostSat Dec 09, 2023 9:31 pm

nope, its still doing it again

here is the crash log

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgD-yqk0fRgXnaQ3xHe ... A?e=k2gRM2

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 6:22 pm

Looks like the 2 crashes on 12-7 were with this project: Untitled Project 1

And the most recent crash on 12-10 was with this project: MOONTIDE PROJECT FILE V3

Is it possible that those 2 projects are the same or similar?

Please send project export .drps for both projects, unless they are the same, then just send a drp for the Moontide project.

Please also send a Mac System Information .spx file.

What window are you minimizing that causes the crash?
Dwaine Maggart

toti0001

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 6:31 am

hi there

here are the requested files. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgD-yqk0fRgXnaQ8aV1 ... w?e=KK3zjp

its when i minimize resolve itself, as in the whole program when i minimize it to the dock, it never crashes otherwise. also it lets me minimize it for about ten minutes after a restart with no issues. but after that short period when you minimize it to the dock it minimizes half way gets stuck and hangs up for a minute then goes blaack and im back to the log in screen and all the apps have to re open once i log back in. Im not sure what happens in those ten minutes after opening resolve after a restart to cause it to do this.

toti0001

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 6:44 pm

so after process of elimination i have found that resolve only crashes when minimzing into application icon

when minimizing into the dock

when changing the setting "minimize windows into applications icon" too off resolve will minimize without issue but when set to minimizing windows into application icon resolve crashes every time when minimizing the window. no other applications do this.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 7:11 pm

Probably never would have seen that, as Minimize to Application Icon is not the default setting.

I always use CMD-h to minimize Resolve, and I assumed you were doing the same. And doing that, I see no difference between having Minimize to Application Icon on or off.

I had to find an online video showing what this was supposed to do. And that shows me that if you use the yellow dot to minimize, Resolve ends up in the right hand side of the Dock, with Minimize to Application Icon off.

So now I see what it's supposed to be doing for you. I guess. But minimizing this way with Minimize to Application Icon ON, I'm still not seeing any crash behavior when minimizing with the yellow dot with your project loaded. On an M1 Pro MBP running macOS 14.1.2.

I was hoping your .spx file might have a Panic log that would provide a clue, but no Panic log. And nothing else obvious. So I'm not sure why this is happening for you.

Would be interesting to see if anyone else uses Minimize to Application Icon and is having this issue.

Maybe you could leave Minimize to Application Icon off, and use CMD-h instead?
Dwaine Maggart

toti0001

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 7:34 pm

Yes of course I can do this but I would still like to know why it's crashing in this way. I have installed and reinstalled resolve and it has not fixed the issue. Maybe it's an M2 max thing?

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 4:49 am

toti0001 wrote:Yes of course I can do this but I would still like to know why it's crashing in this way. I have installed and reinstalled resolve and it has not fixed the issue. Maybe it's an M2 max thing?

I avoid minimizing Resolve on Mac period, and just use multiple desktops using Spaces:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... h14112/mac

This allows me to quickly change screens, copy files in the background, upload something to the web, write a note, and then jump back into Resolve without any delay. No minimizing, no hiding, just a ^ -> (control-right-arrow) or ^ <- (control-left-arrow) to get wherever I need to go. Try that.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

toti0001

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 5:22 am

so i have an update,

it not only happens when "minimize to icon" is on but also has to be in scale rather then genie mode for this too occur, you can minimize to icon when in genie animation mode selected and it will not crash :ugeek:

jeremias monnerat

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 2:12 am

This happens for me too on m2 pro mbp 14, with the most recent version of davinci. When it freezes, I can only fully shutdown the laptop by holding the power button and restart.

Kyrad777

PostFri Dec 22, 2023 5:13 pm

I have a M2 MAX 96GB running Sonoma 14.2 and Resolve 18.6.4 build 6. I am not able to recreate the issue.

I know this doesn't solve your issue, just trying to provide more info for troubleshooting.

Uli Plank

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 1:28 am

Switched to scale from 'genie', but can't reproduce the issue either.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 12.7.3
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve