Positioning multiple Text or Text+ clips w/mouse

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ashley Thomas

Positioning multiple Text or Text+ clips w/mouse

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 8:24 pm

Anybody else not able to mouse-transform several Text or Text+ clips at the same time per ref guide page 790?

Resolve 17.4.6 Build 4

Experience: I selected 3 Text clips on the timeline, the Inspector indicates Multiple at which time I adjust Inspector/Transform/Position Y by dragging on top of the Position Y field (aka virtual slider) but the result is that all clips jump to the same Y position, then move together, ending up at the same Y position.

From Page 790 of ref guide:
Adjusting Multiple Clips at the Same Time

There’s an easy way to make adjustments to the Inspector parameters of multiple clips at the same
time, without needing to use Paste Attributes (described later in this chapter). All you need to do is
simultaneously select every clip you want to alter, and then modify the parameter in the Inspector that
you want to change. As a result, every selected clip will be adjusted by the same amount. This works
for compositing effects, transforms, text parameters, filters, and audio settings, just about anything that can be simultaneously exposed in the Inspector for multiple selected clips.

When you select multiple clips, the Inspector will display “Multiple Clips” as the title. If each of the
selected clips have different values in the parameter you’re adjusting, that parameter will have two
dashes in the value field. There are two ways you can make adjustments to multiple clips:

– If you want to make a relative adjustment to all selected clips while keeping their original offsets
from one another, then drag the virtual slider in the parameter field which will display a + or –
before however many units your adjustment is.

– However, if you want to set all selected clips to the same value, you can double-click in the
number field, type the value, and press Return.

Ashley Thomas

Re: Positioning multiple Text or Text+ clips w/mouse

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 8:41 pm

The following video shows what I'm observe when attempting to select and adjust Position Y for multiple Text clips at the same time...

Peter Cave

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 10:45 pm

The quoted User Manual text is explaining numeric entry, NOT mouse dragging. Mouse dragging will not allow a relative value adjustment as it sets all values in the entry box to the same value.

Have you tried using the on-screen controls to achieve relative positioning?
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

xunile

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 12:03 am

Peter Cave wrote:The quoted User Manual text is explaining numeric entry, NOT mouse dragging. Mouse dragging will not allow a relative value adjustment as it sets all values in the entry box to the same value.

Have you tried using the on-screen controls to achieve relative positioning?

I just tried it with mouse dragging and it worked as stated in the manual. It works with the Title tab and the Position setting. I tried it with the Settings tab and Position and it acted like in the OP's video. I tried the Zoom under the Settings tab and it worked correctly as well.
Attachments
2022-06-24 (6).jpg
2022-06-24 (6).jpg (304.02 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
2022-06-24 (7).jpg
2022-06-24 (7).jpg (303.92 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.5.1| Fusion Studio 18.5.1

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Peter Cave

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 12:19 am

Text and Text+ behave differently.
I just tested and dragging works as per the User Guide on Text but not Text+.
The Title attributes are hidden when selecting multiple titles on Text+.
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

xunile

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 12:25 am

That seems to be the case.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.5.1| Fusion Studio 18.5.1

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Ashley Thomas

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 4:06 am

Not required but in case anyone else reads and wonders about Page 790, it is referring to "virtual slider" usage defined on page 60...
Virtual Sliders and Fields
When number fields appear, they can be used as a “virtual slider” by hovering the pointer over them
until you see the “virtual slider cursor” and then clicking and dragging to the right to raise the value, or
to the left to lower the value (white arrows indicate the direction of change). Typically, using a field’s
virtual slider lets you make more precise adjustments than the actual slider to the left.

Thank you for both trying this out and clarifying... that is it... virtual slider Inspector attribute adjustments affecting multiple Text clips works, while the same w/Text+ does not. When trying other Inspector attributes, seems generally that DR/Text+ ignores Text+ multi-selection state for virtual slider Inspector attribute adjustments.

Workaround: If I wrap each Text+ in a Compound Clip, the multi-select works great (just as with Text+) with those Compound Clips. The only pain point would be one's need to open those clips to make fine-grained adjustments of the wrapped Text+ clips. But if the Text+ behavior is somewhat finalized, it's not a big deal.

Thank you both again... I was past manual edits so may not have even looked for the workaround without the nudging created by your helpful responses.

TitusKing

PostThu Dec 07, 2023 11:30 pm

Back from the dead!

There is another way you can do this. Change the position of one text+, then ctrl-C Copy. Select all the clips you want and Paste Attributes. Check "Position" and click ok. That moved all of them at once.
DR Studio 18.6.4
Editor Keyboard
(Micro panel soon I hope!)

Ryzen 7 2700X
48GB DDR4-3200
RTX 4070 Eagle OC 12GB GDDR6X

Return to DaVinci Resolve