Color space and export settings for windows (davinci free)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Color space and export settings for windows (davinci free)

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 6:32 pm

Hi,

I wanted to ask if an expert can tell me if I am using the right settings for "Color space" and for the export. I use Windows and the free version of Davinci.

I use for color space these settings:
Color science: DaVinci yrgb
timeline color space: rec.709-a
output color space: rec.709-a

In the general settings:
Check:
automatically tag rec.709 scene clips as rec.709-a

In the export settings:
Advanced settings
Color space tag: rec.709
Gamma tag: rec.709-a
Check:
bypass re-encode when possible
force sizing to highest quality
force debayer to highest quality
Last edited by govind on Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Offline
User avatar

Cary Knoop

  • Posts: 1411
  • Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 pm
  • Location: Newark, CA USA

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 6:56 pm

Unless you need the quirky Apple approach to Rec 709 curves you do not need it.
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 6:57 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:Unless you need the quirky Apple approach to Rec 709 curves you do not need it.


so what do I need? Please tell me what I have to use.
Offline
User avatar

Cary Knoop

  • Posts: 1411
  • Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 pm
  • Location: Newark, CA USA

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 7:10 pm

If you use YRGB then everything Rec.709
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 7:48 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:If you use YRGB then everything Rec.709


and if use that I will export in 1-1-1?
An expert of YouTube says no. The only way to achieve 1-1-1 is the settings I use rn.
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 29396
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 8:46 pm

Here's what I use for Rec.709 footage.

RCM SDR.png
RCM SDR.png (17.75 KiB) Viewed 504 times


SDR Deliver.png
SDR Deliver.png (107.1 KiB) Viewed 504 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 8:52 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Here's what I use for Rec.709 footage.

RCM SDR.png


SDR Deliver.png


I appreciate your help but I cannot personalize so much my exporting settings cause I use the free version of Davinci.
I am looking for a personalization for the free version.

I can change the color space settings. If use those settings how can I change the exporting settings in the free version? Should I copy only the settings that are available in my version?

And the final question remains: after that, my export will be 1-1-1?
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 29396
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 8:55 pm

govind wrote:after that, my export will be 1-1-1?
No clue. I've never needed to pay attention to that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 8:56 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
govind wrote:after that, my export will be 1-1-1?
No clue. I've never needed to pay attention to that.


Hope there is someone who can help me. I know that is the mode for YouTube.

But regarding the other questions I made you in my last message:
I can change the color space settings. If use those settings how can I change the exporting settings in the free version? Should I copy only the settings that are available in my version?
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 29396
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 9:03 pm

govind wrote:I know that is the mode for YouTube.
For that, I've always used the Cineform Codec (at Medium) in the AVI container.

I find I got better end results than uploading more compressed formats. (But...I do have a 1 GB Fibre connection.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 9:06 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
govind wrote:I know that is the mode for YouTube.
For that, I've always used the Cineform Codec (at Medium) in the AVI container.

I find I got better end results than uploading more compressed formats. (But...I do have a 1 GB Fibre connection.)


what is the AVI container?
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 29396
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 9:07 pm

The very first option under Format when you're setting up the export.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 9:12 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The very first option under Format when you're setting up the export.


you mean that to achieve a 1-1-1 for YouTube I can export like that but the file size will be huge?
Attachments
Screenshot (47).png
Screenshot (47).png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 29396
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 pm

govind wrote:you mean that to achieve a 1-1-1 for YouTube
No. Like I say, I've never needed to pay any attention to that.

I use the huge Cineform files for uploading because I get a better end result after YouTube recompresses it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 9:18 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
govind wrote:you mean that to achieve a 1-1-1 for YouTube
No. Like I say, I've never needed to pay any attention to that.

I use the huge Cineform files for uploading because I get a better end result after YouTube recompresses it.


Ok thank. Anyway having huge files is not practical atm. And another question: if I export in 1080p but with 45000 or 80000 kb/s it is better for YouTube than exporting (upscaling a 1080p footage) in 1444p? And which method has a smaller file at the end?
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 29396
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 9:20 pm

File size is dependent on bitrate, so higher bitrates will produce larger files.

Another forum member likes to upscale his output for YouTube. I've never tried that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 9:21 pm

Jim Simon wrote:File size is dependent on bitrate, so higher bitrates will produce larger files.

Another forum member likes to upscale his output for YouTube. I've never tried that.


Ok, thank you
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 9:37 am

Ok but I dont have an answer to my question.

Can anyone tell me what Color space and export settings for Windows in DaVinci free version should I use?
Offline

Geoff_C

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:25 pm
  • Real Name: Geoffrey Candy

Re: Color space and export settings for windows (davinci fre

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 7:24 pm

Have you followed the thread?
Your colour space in #1 look OK. Jim Simon also provided color space setting in #6*.
Export settings Again settings are given in #4. For the free version why not simply render & test. A lot will depend on your source material. If your source is low quality your output will be similar. Just experiment.
DVResolve Studio.(18.1.3)
Sys 1 Gig Z370-HD3, i7 8086K @ 5.0 Ghz 16gb ram, 250gb SSD, 3x2Tb hd plus 1TbSSD for render cache, GTX 4060 8Gb BMIP4k video out. (PS 750W)
Drivers IGPU 31.0.101.2125, nVidia 31.0.15.3742 NLE Edius 8WG, Win 10Pro (22H2)
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows (davinci fre

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 7:50 pm

Geoff_C wrote:Have you followed the thread?
Your colour space in #1 look OK. Jim Simon also provided color space setting in #6*.
Export settings Again settings are given in #4. For the free version why not simply render & test. A lot will depend on your source material. If your source is low quality your output will be similar. Just experiment.


Thank you for your reply. It doesn’t seem that my color space OK is from the answer I receive no one explained me that.
In general I will follow what the YouTuber explained in his video because he explained it with examples the reasons why he uses that settings.
My footages are fine: 1080p canon m50 and gameplays from obs always in 1080p. I see gamers that also 1080p videos upload but their videos seems better. I think it is something from the settings. Maybe I will try to upload with higher bits.
Offline

John Paines

  • Posts: 5730
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Color space and export settings for windows (davinci fre

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 8:13 pm

Guys, he's asking about NCLC color tags, and most of these comments are not responsive. This issue goes back to the so-called Apple gamma bug, and where different players interpret footage differently. And distinctions between how Windows and Apple players interpret footage. There's also a question of whether Resolve and other applications enter the correct tags.

There are people here who follow these questions more closely. I would suggest reposting the question with "NCLC Tags" in the header and see what you come up with. If there's a holy grail here I wish I knew what it is -- but maybe you'll get somewhere.
Offline

govind

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
  • Real Name: Giuseppe Contrafatto

Re: Color space and export settings for windows (davinci fre

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 8:18 pm

John Paines wrote:Guys, he's asking about NCLC color tags, and most of these comments are not responsive. This issue goes back to the so-called Apple gamma bug, and where different players interpret footage differently. And distinctions between how Windows and Apple players interpret footage. There's also a question of whether Resolve and other applications enter the correct tags.

There are people here who follow these questions more closely. I would suggest reposting the question with "NCLC Tags" in the header and see what you come up with. If there's a holy grail here I wish I knew what it is -- but maybe you'll get somewhere.


Thank you for your suggestion. I will probably repost the question with that tag in the title.

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cobra427, DaveZap, Google [Bot], SeldomSeenKid, someUser992810 and 107 guests