Sony 10-Bit 4K video not working in DR Free?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JungleExplorer

Sony 10-Bit 4K video not working in DR Free?

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 11:00 pm

So I just dropped 2.5k for a new Sony A7IV camera. I wanted to get a Blackmagic camera, but as a hybrid shooter (video and still), after a mountain of research, the A7IV seems to be the obvious winner. Additionally, I already have several thousand dollars invested in Sony Lenses, and I really do not want to change platforms.

Anyway, I just got my camera today and went out and shot some test footage in 4K 10-bit (HAVC HS 4K 60p 75MB).

When I try to import it into DR, it only imports the audio, not the video. I have done some searching around for answers before posting this, and all I got was very confused. Some say it is a FREE version issue and that Studio is required, and others say no, the FREE version should work with this file.

I just want a clear answer on this. If I need to upgrade to STUDIO, that is fine; I'll just have to wait a while and shoot in 8-bit until the bank account has time to heal. But I don't want to spend that money to just find out I have the same problem and OOPS, it was not a FREE version issue after all.
Just a guy being a guy trying to survive

DR 18.6.4 Build 6

MB: Gigabyte GA-B460M DS3H AC V2-Y1
CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1660S Super
C-Drive: Evo 970 M.2 1TB
Drive 2: HD 6TB
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P 24"

Uli Plank

Re: Sony 10-Bit 4K video not working in DR Free?

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 1:04 am

Under Windows you definitely need Studio. The A7IV is great camera if you need photography as much as video, but the investment doesn't end there: you should also check if your Intel CPU has hardware decoding for that format.
If not, you will see your video in Studio but your editing experience will not be smooth. The 1660 for sure doesn't have decoders for it. Worst case you may need to transcode or get a new computer.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

JungleExplorer

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 1:49 am

I'll look into that for sure. I have been editing 4K footage from my Sony a6500 on this PC with DR for a year with no issues. It has been extremely smooth. That footage was shot in HAVC S 30P@100MB, and the resulting files had a total bitrate of 97 MBps. The new footage out of my A7IV has a total bitrate of 98 MBps, so it is not that much more to process, data wise at least.

Additionally, I can play the files on my computer using the VLC and MPV media players. So, the hardware is at least capable of playing the file.

DR 18.6.4 Build 6

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 2:12 am

It's not about data rate, but about the codec. BTW, I usually record in 200 mbps on our A7IV to get the best quality. Of course you can record with the A7IV in lower quality to make it compatible, but then why buy it at all?
Check with MediaInfo (free) which codec is the footage from the A6500 and from the A7IV, then see if your Intel CPU supports it in hardware by QuickSync. As we say in German: "the devil is in the detail".

Finally, a player is no indication for smooth playback in an NLE, which is far more demanding.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

JungleExplorer

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 2:34 am

Uli Plank wrote:It's not about data rate, but about the codec. BTW, I usually record in 200 mbps on our A7IV to get the best quality. Of course you can record with the A7IV in lower quality to make it compatible, but then why buy it at all?
Check with MediaInfo (free) which codec is the footage from the A6500 and from the A7IV, then see if your Intel CPU supports it in hardware by QuickSync. As we say in German: "the devil is in the detail".

Finally, a player is no indication for smooth playback in an NLE, which is far more demanding.

I did the MediaInfo thing, but I am not sure what I am supposed to do with that info. It says the format is HEVC, which I already knew.

A google search rendered these results.

"Yes, the Intel Core i5-10400F can media encode H.265 and HEVC"
"Yes, the Intel Core i5-10400F has Intel Quick Sync Video."

DR 18.6.4 Build 6

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 2:56 am

Check if it's 10 bit 422 (tree display in MediaInfo).
If so, check if your Intel CPU can decode that, you only write about encode.

BTW, HEVC is just another name for H.265, coined by manufacturers.

Nick2021

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 4:53 am

JungleExplorer wrote:
"Yes, the Intel Core i5-10400F can media encode H.265 and HEVC"
"Yes, the Intel Core i5-10400F has Intel Quick Sync Video."

The first one might be true if you mean in software running on the CPU.

The second one is very wrong. The F means no IGPU. No IGPU no media decoder.

But if the file is 4.2.2 a 10th gen desktop isn't going to have the right decoder . You'd need 11th gen desktop or 10th laptop.

I thought the problem with those files was Sony doing something non standard. Not that the file is 4.2.2.

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 5:15 am

Thanks for chiming in on this one, Nick.
I wouldn't assume Sony is doing anything non-standard here. Such files run flawlessly in DR on all M1 and M2 Macs (not sure about M3), and I doubt Apple cares that much for Sony doing anything out-of-spec.

In consequence, even Studio won't make for a smooth experience on that hardware for you, Victor. You'll need to use caching, proxies, or optimised media.

If you don't want to invest into Studio (even if it's definitely worth it), you can convert all of your footage to CineForm, DNxHR, or ProRes with ffmpeg or one of the free GUIs for it. That'll only cost you storage space.

I assume that a new computer is out of the question right now, but feel free to ask.

The sad truth is that getting a new, higher quality camera very often also forces you into getting new computer hardware. There are workarounds, but they are not really comfortable.

JungleExplorer

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 9:30 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Thanks for chiming in on this one, Nick.
I wouldn't assume Sony is doing anything non-standard here. Such files run flawlessly in DR on all M1 and M2 Macs (not sure about M3), and I doubt Apple cares that much for Sony doing anything out-of-spec.

In consequence, even Studio won't make for a smooth experience on that hardware for you, Victor. You'll need to use caching, proxies, or optimised media.

If you don't want to invest into Studio (even if it's definitely worth it), you can convert all of your footage to CineForm, DNxHR, or ProRes with ffmpeg or one of the free GUIs for it. That'll only cost you storage space.

I assume that a new computer is out of the question right now, but feel free to ask.

The sad truth is that getting a new, higher-quality camera very often also forces you into getting new computer hardware. There are workarounds, but they are not really comfortable.

Thanks. For now, I will just shoot in Sony's HAVC S format, which works just fine on my current system. My main reason for upgrading was not the improved quality, as my old camera was pretty good. My main reason for upgrading was for the newer AF technology. As a wildlife shooter, the A7IV is an absolute game-changer for me.

My old A6500 had no AF features, which were designed for wildlife work. As a result, I was shooting in manual focus most of the time. The A7IV has Animals and Bird EYE AF, which works phenomenally. I got out and put it to the test today, and I am floored by how well it works. The A7IV is also Full Frane, which will give me better low light quality, which every wildlife photographer knows is key. It has a bigger, more modern sensor, which will give me better quality, even if shooting in the same format as I was on the a6500.

I will upgrade my PC at a later date. I can shoot and store videos that I need to shoot now in higher resolutions and then edit them when I upgrade my system.

However, in all of this, no one has actually answered my original question, which was, can the DR Free handle these files, or is a Studio version necessary? As I said in my OP, I had done searches trying the answer, but like this thread, the question gets lost in a spaghetti bold of hardware and video format issues.

DR 18.6.4 Build 6

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 12:12 am

The answer has been given, but I can repeat: to use all the formats your A7IV offers for video, you need DR Studio under Windows. Period. Everything else is a myth, based on some older codec Microsoft offered.

Yes, that AF is incredible.

Allow me one remark: since you can't use 10 bit now, avoid Slog. When you start stretching those low contrast recordings you'll get banding. Use one of the Cine profiles instead.

JungleExplorer

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 5:26 pm

Uli Plank wrote: Allow me one remark: since you can't use 10 bit now, avoid Slog. When you start stretching those low contrast recordings you'll get banding. Use one of the Cine profiles instead.

Thanks.

DR 18.6.4 Build 6

Return to DaVinci Resolve