My projects disappear !

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Vissual

My projects disappear !

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 6:28 pm

My projects disappear!
Has anyone experienced this? One day I open the folder and they are nowhere to be found. The first time I thought someone had accidentally moved it to another folder or accidentally deleted it. But this time we are absolutely sure that one day it was there and the next day it had disappeared.
The database is hosted on a Synology NAS for collaborative work. I have been working like this for years without any problem from version 16 to 18.1. I have had many problems since version 18.6.0. Currently, I am using 18.6.4 on Mac and Ubuntu.

Has anyone had the same problem? Does anyone know how to extract the DB and check if there is any trace of the project?"

Marc Wielage

Re: My projects disappear !

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 4:35 am

I don't know of a real solution except to export a copy of the project every single day, so you have a DRP available on a local drive (or a cloud solution if necessary). When you say your "project is hosted on a Synology NAS," do you mean your disk database is on the NAS? If you're not using Resolve Project Server, you should -- this is tailor-made for this kind of setup.

If the drive disconnects even for a split second, there's the potential risk of data loss. I don't know what to suggest except be very very careful. All our systems are on UPS backups, almost all of them are using SSDs, and some of them (like the Resolve Server) never shut down -- they're up 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. We never have a problem with them.

Disk databases are potentially more fragile, but I've seen those work for years and years with zero problems, provided they're an internal drive (and not an external/removable drive).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 6:23 am

If you store and access other kinds of files on your NAS and have no corruption problems with them then there's no good reason that you should have corruption problems with a Resolve Disk Database.

If BMD people disagree I would LOVE to hear a technically sound explanation.

Using a Disk DB for multi-user access, however, sounds like an unsafe thing to do.

Resolve uses SQLite for its disk DB. SQLite properly handles multiple processes accessing the same disk DB at the same time (ref: https://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q5)

HOWEVER, BMD uses multiple SQLite DBs inside a single disk DB. I have no idea if there are dependencies between the multiple DBs or if BMD handles these. So it's certainly safest to have only one instance of Resolve with a project open at a time if the DB is disk based rather than server based.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Noerde

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 10:20 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Resolve uses SQLite for its disk DB.

Resolve uses PostgreSQL for the database afaik.

Anyway, using a shared database file for many clients isn't adviced, a small miracle if OP has had it like that without problems.

Andy Mees

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 10:47 am

There are three database types: Local (Disk), Network and Cloud.
As Joes states, Resolve's disk DB format is SQLite, it's Network DB format is PostgreSQL... and it's Cloud database format is (afaik) not publicly facing, so who knows?
I may have missed it, but I don't think the OP has expressly stated whether he is using a Local DB stored on the NAS (presumably not), or whether he is more properly using a Network DB (via Resolve Server) hosted on the NAS.

Steve Alexander

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 12:33 pm

Noerde wrote:
Joe Shapiro wrote:Resolve uses SQLite for its disk DB.

Resolve uses PostgreSQL for the database afaik.

Anyway, using a shared database file for many clients isn't adviced, a small miracle if OP has had it like that without problems.

Joe's talking about the file-based Resolve library. Resolve uses SQLite to access the .db files within the file based library. For a network (shared) library, Resolve uses PostgresSQL (where Postgres acts as a server, talking access requests from multiple instances of Resolve across a network).

(Sorry - like Andy mentioned, lol)

Andy Mees wrote:I may have missed it, but I don't think the OP has expressly stated whether he is using a Local DB stored on the NAS (presumably not), or whether he is more properly using a Network DB (via Resolve Server) hosted on the NAS.

I think the assumption here is that the OP is using a local library (in type) stored on a NAS. BMD discourages this but I'm not sure they ever provided a reason other than fragility in the case of unexpected disconnects. Maybe latency is an issue as well but I'd be surprised.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 2:38 pm

Vissual wrote:The database is hosted on a Synology NAS for collaborative work.
Are you using a Network Library?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Noerde

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 1:24 pm

Andy Mees wrote:There are three database types: Local (Disk), Network and Cloud.
As Joes states, Resolve's disk DB format is SQLite, it's Network DB format is PostgreSQL... and it's

Good to know, I always thought even the local db was postgre as its process was running even though I hadn't enabled shared/server functionality.

Return to DaVinci Resolve