Color Space/Color Management Settings

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GTT123

Color Space/Color Management Settings

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 6:12 pm

Hi!

I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos, and got really confused. So I really hope someone can reach out to help me. I'm shooting with Nikon Z6 (and Z30) mostly for YouTube videos. So I guess I don't have another option than SRGB color space. So my question is what settings to use in color management (Color Space & Transforms) ? Would you also recommend using a color space transform node with sRGB input, and rec.709 gamma 2.4 Output? (end of nodes)

Thank you so much for answering!

ZRGARDNE

Re: Color Space/Color Management Settings

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 12:57 pm

GTT123 wrote:Hi!

I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos, and got really confused. So I really hope someone can reach out to help me. I'm shooting with Nikon Z6 (and Z30) mostly for YouTube videos. So I guess I don't have another option than SRGB color space. So my question is what settings to use in color management (Color Space & Transforms) ? Would you also recommend using a color space transform node with sRGB input, and rec.709 gamma 2.4 Output? (end of nodes)

I expect the SRGB setting you see in the camera is the color space for the JPG stills, AdobeRGB being the other option.

I also expect this does nothing to the video mode.

It looks like the only way to get anything other than Rec709 from this camera is with an external recorder (Atomos Ninja)

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z6/8

So this camera will not require any color management.

You could work in Davinchi Wide Gammut if you wish, as much for practice if you later get a camera that shoots other color spaces.

Cullen Kelly's guide is the most beginner friendly one I have found
[url]
[/url]

If you do it right, your Rec709 footage in should identically match the Rec709 footage out.

mickspixels

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 1:09 pm

ZRGARDNE wrote:
GTT123 wrote:Hi!

I expect the SRGB setting you see in the camera is the color space for the JPG stills, AdobeRGB being the other option.

I also expect this does nothing to the video mode.

It looks like the only way to get anything other than Rec709 from this camera is with an external recorder (Atomos Ninja)

So this camera will not require any color management.

You could work in Davinchi Wide Gammut if you wish, as much for practice if you later get a camera that shoots other color spaces.

If you do it right, your Rec709 footage in should identically match the Rec709 footage out.

Pretty much correct except for "It looks like the only way to get anything other than Rec709 from this camera is with an external recorder (Atomos Ninja)". You can also use a BMD Video Assist 12G (not sure about the earlier models). Both options are quite expensive. There is also an option to get a paid firmware update from Nikon which allows you to shoot ProRes Raw with the NInja and BRAW with the BMDVA.

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 2:36 pm

You do need to know which mode your footage was shot in. (Looks like the Z6 does have an N-Log option.)

This video should help you understand how to handle things.

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mickspixels

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 5:37 pm

Jim Simon wrote:(Looks like the Z6 does have an N-Log option.)

I know my Nikon cameras. I used to own a Z6. I own a Z6II. There is no log video recording in-camera with either. The only way you can record log video with these cameras is with an external recorder, as noted clearly above. You are only going to confuse the OP with uninformed statements like this.

They can use color management if they want to of course but there is probably little benefit except to learn how to use it and perhaps in controlling the Output color space. They need to say what OS they are using before saying anything else.

Jim Simon

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 4:05 pm

mickspixels wrote:There is no log video recording in-camera with either.
Ooops. Seems I was looking at the original Z6 specs.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 7:04 am

mickspixels wrote:I know my Nikon cameras. I used to own a Z6. I own a Z6II. There is no log video recording in-camera with either. The only way you can record log video with these cameras is with an external recorder, as noted clearly above. You are only going to confuse the OP with uninformed statements like this.

I would say just don't worry about it and correct them in a Disply-referred setting -- that is, just look at a calibrated display and turn the knobs until the picture is correct.

There are all kinds of ways to get there, and there's probably a hundred tutorials out there that explain it. For quite a few cameras and video sources, there is no color management solution: you have to just do it manually. Sometimes, the heavy lifting has to be done by the colorist, not by plug-ins or anything else.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve