VST plugin not loading

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

midorik

VST plugin not loading

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 2:05 pm

Hi.
The VST plugins I use in my DAW are not being loaded into Davinci Resolve (DR). Could there be any issues with the DR software?

I've tried reinstalling DR, reinstalling VST plugins, and resetting the directory (path) settings, but the situation has not improved at all. It's not that they are not loading at all; a few VST plugins are being loaded, but they account for less than 10% of the total.

There were no issues when I was operating on Windows 10, but this problem arose when I switched to Windows 11. What could be the issue?

Thank you in advance.

DavinciResolve18.6.4
Windows11(64bit)
SurfacePro8(1TB SSD/8GB mem)

[KWON Midori]
[[KWON_Midori]]
"Most of this sentence has been translated into English by AI such as ChatGPT."

-Mobile PC-
DavinciResolve18.6.5
Windows11 Pro(64bit)

Reynaud Venter

Re: VST plugin not loading

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 9:32 am

Which VST plugins are not loading (Developer and build number)? Are these VST2.4 or VST3?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

midorik

PostSun Jan 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The VST plugins I have loaded into Davinci Resolve are directly utilized from the digital audio workstation (DAW) installed on the same PC. In Davinci Resolve running on Windows 10, nearly all audio processing VST plugins are loaded and operational, excluding some VSTi (virtual instruments). The total count is quite extensive, likely exceeding 50 plugins when combining VST2 and VST3.

However, in Davinci Resolve running on Windows 11, only three VST plugins are loaded: a noise suppression VST (Deegate), a pitch processing VST (Garillon2), and an equalizer VST (Masterdeck classic), all of which are freeware and relatively small in size. The VST plugins used on Windows 10 PC and Windows 11 PC are identical in both number and version.

The unloaded VST plugins include a variety ranging from major products provided by iZotope to small freeware ones created individually.

(Most of this sentence has been translated into English by AI such as ChatGPT.)
[[KWON_Midori]]

-Mobile PC-
DavinciResolve18.6.5
Windows11 Pro(64bit)

SeldomSeenKid

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 8:08 am

From my limited experience one out of three VSTs do not load into DVR or load with a faulty GUI. I am using BlueCatsAudio Patchwork as a VST host in DVR and never had any problems.
I am on Win10 / DVR 17.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

Paul Fisher

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 12:12 am

midorik wrote:Hi, thanks for your reply.

The VST plugins I have loaded into Davinci Resolve are directly utilized from the digital audio workstation (DAW) installed on the same PC. In Davinci Resolve running on Windows 10, nearly all audio processing VST plugins are loaded and operational, excluding some VSTi (virtual instruments). The total count is quite extensive, likely exceeding 50 plugins when combining VST2 and VST3.

However, in Davinci Resolve running on Windows 11, only three VST plugins are loaded: a noise suppression VST (Deegate), a pitch processing VST (Garillon2), and an equalizer VST (Masterdeck classic), all of which are freeware and relatively small in size. The VST plugins used on Windows 10 PC and Windows 11 PC are identical in both number and version.

The unloaded VST plugins include a variety ranging from major products provided by iZotope to small freeware ones created individually.

(Most of this sentence has been translated into English by AI such as ChatGPT.)

You have to accept it and take what you can get when it comes to VSTs in DVR.
WORK MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
2 TB Glyph and other thunderbolt SSDs

PERSONAL MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
4 TB internal SSD

midorik

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 1:26 pm

I tried changing the default directory where VST plugins are stored.

In DaVinci Resolve, the directories specified to load VST files were previously:

C:/Program Files/VstPlugins
C:/Program Files (x86)/VstPlugins

This time, I added the following directory to the above:

C:/VstPlugin

However, the result was the same. It seems that the software only loaded the usual unnecessary plugins from the conventional folders.

I wonder why this happens. Why can't I do what I could do in a Windows 10 environment?
[[KWON_Midori]]

-Mobile PC-
DavinciResolve18.6.5
Windows11 Pro(64bit)

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 1:56 pm

midorik wrote:The VST plugins I have loaded into Davinci Resolve are directly utilized from the digital audio workstation (DAW) installed on the same PC.
Which DAW? Are the plugins native to the DAW and not available to other applications?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Sarasota

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 2:05 pm

Quick question, are any of the VST's you're trying to load 32 bit? Resolve and most other packages don't support 32 bit versions, you'll need a wrapper (a vst-host) to run 32's and that can be a pain in the a** in most cases. A few packages still run 32 bit vst's natively (like Reaper) but most have dumped support for it a long while back.

That said, Resolve will have issues loading certain 64 bit vst's and we have to accept it, or find a work around until they update DR to address it.

Perhaps you can list out the VST's that you need to use which aren't loading, and we can help find something else that'll do the job (tons of options & free to boot).

It's just a matter of finding those that load & run stable in DR - and then list them here (or another dedicated post for working VST's by type).
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 | Asus Proart MB | i9 10850k | 128gb ram | Gigabyte RTX 3080 | Decklink Studio 4k 6G | *1x RME UFX+ | 1x MOTU 24i/O | 2x MOTU 896MK3 | 1x MOTU 828MKII | Win 11 Pro | Display Driver: 546.33 SD | Audio Drivers: v1.21-TB

midorik

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 3:33 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
midorik wrote:The VST plugins I have loaded into Davinci Resolve are directly utilized from the digital audio workstation (DAW) installed on the same PC.
Which DAW? Are the plugins native to the DAW and not available to other applications?

HI, Thank you for your reply.

The DAW I use is Ableton Live 11 (Suite 64bit) for Windows.
By the way, I also have Audacity installed on my PC, and Audacity can successfully load the VST plugin I want to load. (The VST plugin is not a default plugin in Live 11, but a third-party audio processing plugin released by iZotope and others.)
All the directories where the VST plugins exist are in the same place.

I also use Live 11 on my desktop PC (Windows 10 Pro), and all the VST plugins that can be loaded by the application are loaded in DaVinci Resolve on that PC. The VST plugins on my desktop PC and the VST plugins on my mobile PC are basically the same in number and version.
[[KWON_Midori]]

-Mobile PC-
DavinciResolve18.6.5
Windows11 Pro(64bit)

midorik

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 3:53 pm

Sarasota wrote:Quick question, are any of the VST's you're trying to load 32 bit? Resolve and most other packages don't support 32 bit versions, you'll need a wrapper (a vst-host) to run 32's and that can be a pain in the a** in most cases. A few packages still run 32 bit vst's natively (like Reaper) but most have dumped support for it a long while back.

That said, Resolve will have issues loading certain 64 bit vst's and we have to accept it, or find a work around until they update DR to address it.

Perhaps you can list out the VST's that you need to use which aren't loading, and we can help find something else that'll do the job (tons of options & free to boot).

It's just a matter of finding those that load & run stable in DR - and then list them here (or another dedicated post for working VST's by type).

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

None of the plugins I have installed are 32-bit. Since I switched the DAW application to 64-bit, I also changed all the VST plugins to 64-bit compatible ones.

It's disappointing if there is instability in loading 64-bit VST plugins in DaVinci Resolve itself. I really hope it will be improved soon.

At the very least, I would be happy if I could use the ones that work on my Windows 10 PC.
[[KWON_Midori]]

-Mobile PC-
DavinciResolve18.6.5
Windows11 Pro(64bit)

Return to DaVinci Resolve