DR 18.6 Project BK UP & Restore Project files on New SSD

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JEM ADV

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 10:42 pm

I apologize for the looooong post but unless you can read minds. . .
Q: How to restore .drp files and is my current setup the best storage and performance or am I missing something ?
I searched YT and Forum but based on the number of Q and ratio that didn’t help answer my particular question. I am starting this topic in hopes of helping others find the information also.

Newer PC, NEW to editing and Davinci Resolve. I’ve watched hundreds of hours of tutorials trying to learn DR and understand the editing process, tried to build a proper system within budget but now understand I am missing some knowledge about DR 18.6 (sandbox) file system after attempting new SSD setup.
Oh, I have 5 .drp project files but cannot get anything to work? Appears I only have 1 .dra from 6 mo. ago when I began building this project. ALL Project MEDIA is now on SSD, containing the orig. HDD project folder but when I attempted to open projects, DR 18.6 crashed over and over. It wasn’t until I deleted the CACHE files on #1-SSD that must have been causing conflict that DR stopped crashing. (This PC doesn’t crash, it was DR 18.6 crashing)
I don’t know how to restore the projects. All DR preferences / settings had been connected / updated to the 3 separate SSD from the previous single HDD.
I may have lost weeks’ worth of beginner’s work. Can redo everything but want to make sure PC / DR 18.6 is setup correctly to maintain copies this time. LIVE backup was on and tested, it restored project about a month ago but that is diff. from importing complete project with media to new SSD and relinking everything.
I had a huge problem with SSD MEDIA Offline and searched for files. After DR couldn’t find the files that should have been in the folder. Turns out I told DR to search entire HDD and imported / linked based on duplicate file names from 7 diff. GoPro camera over months of video footage on HDD. (wrong clips were linked in timeline causing a major mess)
This is when everything began to unravel because now half the clips are wrong. DR 18.6 was crashing because of many duplicate file names in the project folder (I assume) This is my fault, not blaming this on DR but do need to understand the best setup (prevention) going forward. Why didn’t I just restore the project? DR was crashing. I assume DR was looking in HDD drive for files vs new SSD drive. I tried redirecting DR to HDD that had a project fold copy but nothing worked. Just kept crashing and got worse with time.
I now understand to only keep 1 project folder on drive with project media and only search THAT project storage media folder vs entire HDD or PC. Learned my lesson, the process will be better moving forward with isolated SSD per project and ALL copies kept on separate drives. All Project Cache on separate drive and all project backups on separate drive, etc.
SPECS:
DR 18.6 Install on below specs OMEN Z690 45L Desktop
Operating system Windows 11 Pro
HP 8917 Micro ATX Z690
Processor Intel® Core™ i9- 12900K W/Liquid Cooler (3.2 GHz up to 5.2 GHz, 30 MB L3 cache, 16 cores, 24 threads)
Memory HyperX 64 GB DDR4-3733 MHz XMP RGB Heatsink RAM (4 x 16 GB)
Graphics card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3090 (24 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
SSD Drive C - 2 TB WD Black PCIe® 4x4 NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
Have 120TB via 13 - SSD NVME and HDD storage internal and external

DR 18.6 STORAGE Q: I’m using C: 2TB NVME for Win. OS and all programs but not for any storage so it has over 1TB of available space at this time. All Win. 11 Programs use separate storage drives.
DR 18.6 program is on C: ALL other DR 18.6 project storage is now on NVME SSD drives.
4TB for MAIN MEDIA
2TB for CACHE / STILLS / PROXIES
2TB for Project LIVE save and backups
20TB HDD for secondary Project Archives
20TB HDD for secondary MEDIA Backup
20TB HDD for Complete OS system image, backup, etc.
20TB HDD for 2nd COPY of Complete OS system image, backup, etc.

ALL orig. MEDIA has separate HDD until projects are finished and it’s deleted. But that doesn’t help me maintain Project Archive copy. Original MEDIA hasn’t been lost. Only the weeks worth of projects that won’t connect
DR 18.6 Preferences are set to backup LIVE and every 10 min. and 8 hr. and 7 days. I have no idea where these backup files are located or how to restore the backups.
I reinstalled DR 18.6 because of the crashing problems and it appears fine now without any BIG projects to open, it is instantaneous.
The PC processing speed test is 4X faster using 3 separate SSD vs one HDD. Smart Render Cache stalled out the project before using HDD but now with the SSD it’s not bad. Wish I could use internal NVME for CACHE but only have 1TB of free space on it. Holding out for a LARGE 10+TB NVME SSD for OS and CACHE but this new arrangement should do fine for now.
I have speed tested every combination of SSD to verify current setup offers the fastest connection. 10Gbps USB-C NVME SSD is 3-4X faster than internal SATA HDD drive. Imagine multiple functions reading / writing to same HDD before. . . big bottleneck. The project archives copy will still write to HDD.
I understand DR recommends keeping CACHE and STILLS storage on permanent internal storage drive but HDD is too slow for CACHE. (Note: when DR was crashing. System showed 3- 6gb of RAM being used out of 64gb)

Thank you for your help

Google Drive File Links are available to anyone with link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M-c_V1KbX5bqpdxbqRiH4yyMZU_cjoMw/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VjC99F0MkH-TdNmb66NQFiskIf1Sq-Lz/view?usp=drive_link
Last edited by JEM ADV on Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JEM ADV
Win. 11 desktop specs. - OMEN Z690, Intel i9-12900 with Liquid Cooler, NVIDIA RTX 3090 (24GB GDDR6X dedicated) 64GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB NVME, 2TB SSD, 80TB HDD onboard and 40TB HDD external. (2) ASUS ProArt 32" Monitors, DR18, Speed Editor, etc.

Uli Plank

Re: DR 18.6 Project BK UP & Restore Project files on New SSD

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 2:21 am

Sorry, that text is a bit too long, let's do some Q & A.

So, my first question:
Where do these .drp files come from? Did you export them with the proper command (in the Project Manager window, right-click and export project)?

And then, my first advice:
Never, ever put your Library (aka Database) on an external drive. It must be on your internal one. All other stuff can be external, depending on the speed needed.

This may help too:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i3x06004w0jp ... d.pdf?dl=0
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

JEM ADV

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 3:50 am

Thank you Uli Plank for the pdf. I had read that before and now a year later am just starting to understand much of it. This is all new to me, started learning about editing in 2022. In my 60's so hopefully I can connect the dots before Dementia

DR 18.6 Database (Project Libraries) is on C: NVME. Plus added a new Project Library under the original "Local Database" DR 18.6 created. I had created 5 or 6 before the uninstall / reinstall trying to understand the process but honestly hadn't made it through the maze to connect the dots of understanding. Just clicked "Add Project Library" until now.

Something I just found saved on my "Video Backup HDD" Filename.resolve.diskdb

which says date created 2/14/2024 Is it possible to restore the "Project library" along with the Projects using this file?

I just now realized it is a backup of "Project Library" that I hope has everything I need.

To answer your Q about how the backups were created. The majority were auto saved I assume. Others were me right clicking on project and saving to test the options and restore process but only manually did this once or twice months ago from what I can tell. And only to see what it did, not because it was needed at the time.

Thanks
JEM ADV
Win. 11 desktop specs. - OMEN Z690, Intel i9-12900 with Liquid Cooler, NVIDIA RTX 3090 (24GB GDDR6X dedicated) 64GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB NVME, 2TB SSD, 80TB HDD onboard and 40TB HDD external. (2) ASUS ProArt 32" Monitors, DR18, Speed Editor, etc.

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 5:32 am

Well, they say that learning something new even helps fighting dementia. I'm trying to learn a new language, but it's not as easy as it used to be when I was 20.
Back to the subject:
Thanks to the higher forces I have never needed to use a backup of a database, but it should be possible to do it with this command:
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-23 um 12.26.30.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-23 um 12.26.30.png (93.73 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

If that doesn't work, you may be out of luck, since the project files inside are not .drp. As I already wrote in my doc, I always make daily backups of any important work as such (or now as .drt). If you have these, you can always create a fresh database and import them. Re-linking your footage should be easy if it has proper timecode. If not, things may get nasty…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

JEM ADV

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 6:32 pm

Thank you Uli Plank

I was able to restore the Project Libraries and Projects with "resolve.diskdb" but due to the new SSD that now contains all the HDD media moved towards the end of project. Most media still shows offline and Davinci Resolve Studio label is now written over all of the files? It's a mess that I don't know how to fix. (Studio 18.6.5)

I've refreshed & connected SSD files to media pool. ALL media pool files are online and verified in media pool as having same file name but some timeline clips are still offline? If I attempt to replace those with the original media now in the media pool, things get crazy. Davinci is inserting some other clip unless I drag the clip directly from media pool into the overwrite clip position. (May have attributes issues because I see the orig. clips now offline in timeline were 60 fps and the replacement clips on Bin has somehow been changed to 24 fps) Too many changes have taken place and it's beyond my level at this time. Everyone starts programs as a beginner. lol

Have (3) 30 min. videos in this Library. So back to YT University to learn how I can upscale the clips to 60 fps and replace timeline clips that are offline with the original media now in media pool since using timecode or handles option isn't working. If I can figure this out, only 30% of the projects need redone.

This type of mistake ensures you design the proper storage system (what I was attempting to do after experiencing 1-2 hr. CACHE delays using HDD) and don't forget to backup projects.

Thanks
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 2:26 am

It's actually more important to have your cache on SSDs than your original files. Of course, the best approach is having both on separate SSDs.

You still didn't answer if you've got proper timecode or not. If not, you better start over, preparing your footage in ways I explained above, or you'll fight that mess forever.

And now you have introduced a new subject: converting 24 fps to 60 fps. DR can handle this, but for good quality you need massive computing power or lots of patience. The simplest algorithm is called Nearest, and it'll simply repeat frames, which can look stuttering on high motion. The next one is Blend, which produces small dissolves between every two existing frames to generate frames in between. It'll show double-contours on high motion. Finally, there are different levels of Optical Flow. The best of these is Speed Warp (Studio only), which is near perfect at synthesizing the missing frames, but extremely slow to compute on average hardware.

JEM ADV

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 10:17 pm

Hi Uli Plank, The diskdb restore was a backup on HDD that I now have working on DR 18.6 but need the projects connected to SSD media and cannot figure out how. The purpose for all of this was to move away from HDD. It was such a bottleneck that I took the chance of starting over if needed. Honestly didn't think it was going to be this complicated connecting files on SSD

DR 18.6 is extremely complicated to move media around. I've spent many hours on this and cannot figure it out.

I currently have 3 - NVME SSD connected and configured as follows

DR 18.6 exe on C: Local Database
ALL active project media storage will now be on NVME SSD drives.
4TB for MAIN MEDIA (active project)
2TB for CACHE / STILLS / PROXIES (active project)
2TB for Project LIVE save and backups (active projects)

#2- 20TB HDD for ALL Media (not in active projects)
#3- 20TB HDD for MEDIA Backup
#4 -20TB HDD for Complete OS system image, 2nd MEDIA backup, etc.
#5 -20TB HDD for 2nd COPY of Complete OS system image, 3rd MEDIA backup, etc.
#6 -20TB HDD for 3rd COPY
#7 ETC
Don't have RAID setup, too expensive for a beginner editor. Needed to focus $$$ in more important Family areas for now.

Multiple copies of everything except the project I started working on because something wasn't configured properly. Hopefully corrected now. If I can just get my current project connected

Thank you
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 1:16 am

JEM ADV wrote:DR 18.6 is extremely complicated to move media around. I've spent many hours on this and cannot figure it out.

It's actually not. We move media around all the time and it's normally just two clicks away. There are two conditions, though, as I wrote before: you need proper timecode and unique file names. Most of the stuff coming in here fulfils those conditions, professional cameras anyway, but even from hybrid cameras and recently the iPhone.
If anything comes in that doesn't, like footage from amateur drones, we do three things:
- We move the footage from MP4 to MOV, only changing the container, not the content.
– We add timecode in the process, derived from shooting data in the file.
– We add a proper naming scheme with a simple renamer software.
Only then we start to ingest footage.
If it's later getting moved to other storage, you'll see the red broken link icon in the upper left of the media area. Click on it, point to the root folder of the new location, and click again. Done. It normally takes a few seconds, less than a minute even for larger projects. If it doesn't work for you, the conditions above are not met by your footage.
Please check if it has timecode, i.e. it does not all count from zero. That's the most important point. If not, migrating may still be possible by Conform instead of Relink, but it'll be a major PITA.

JEM ADV wrote:2TB for Project LIVE save and backups (active projects)

You've got a nice storage situation there, but this is a waste. Live save and backups of projects (not the media) don't need that much.
And only high-end work with extreme data rates and/or huge amounts of footage in direct access would need a RAID. SSDs are plenty fast.

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 1:21 am

I just read this whole thread and I’m betting your problem is your media doesn’t have timecode. That means that all files start at time 0. So any files with duplicate names are the same file as far as Resolve is concerned.

Of course the file length will almost never be the same so I’d say Resolve SHOULD be able to tell the right file from the wrong one but in practice I know this doesn’t happen with the Relink Media command. Shame.

As far as I can tell the manual's only explanation of how the Relink Media command does its matching is:
The Relink command is the most flexible method of relinking clips in the Media Pool of your project with clips in a file system directory of your choice, using file name and timecode as the primary criteria for re-creating the correspondence between each clip and its corresponding media file on disk.

Does "using file name and timecode as the primary criteria" mean the length of the media is ignored? Sadly it seems so.

So you end up with clips being linked to the wrong files and your projects are screwed.

There is another command that lets you specify what criteria you want to use: "Reconform from Media Storage..."
I'll add more later but if you can use that you'll probably be good. If not you have to make sure there are no duplicate filenames without timecode.

In my experience it’s fine to have your DB on a removable drive but I understand many disagree.

What I would suggest in your case - if you’re up for it - is to start over from one of your clean DB backups from before you moved everything around. Copy the folder to where you want that DB to live.

Then, BEFORE opening Resolve, make sure that the media you want to connect to is in one folder tree and the media you DON’T want to connect to is NOT in that tree. Hopefully there aren’t any duplicate filenames in there.

If there ARE duplicates and you’re using the Relink Media command you still have a few choices. The simplest is to move the duplicates out of the folder tree.

A quick hack that might work is to change the file extension of the duplicates to another movie format - say either mov or mp4. Most programs will recognize what’s really in there either way but the filenames will no longer collide.

The much more involved thing is to use a timecode editing app to change the starting timecode of the duplicates. Which will only work if the “container” - the thing that holds the video - supports timecode. Don’t need to go there really though.
Last edited by Joe Shapiro on Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 1:30 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:In my experience it’s fine to have your DB on a removable drive but I understand many disagree.

It's OKish for MacOS, Joe, but not for Windows. But definitely never on an exFAT formatted drive.
Anyway, it's much safer on an internal storage, the Libraries (aka database) are usually not that huge.

@Jon
See? Joe was probably writing at the same time. Please check your clips with a software like MediaInfo and tell us about the timecode.

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 1:55 am

I totally agree with Uli that’s it’s not ok if you’re on any form of FAT. But I think one should never be on FAT at this point.

As far as Windows, as long as you have the external drive mapped to the same letter things should be fine. Even if the drive isn’t it’s easy once you’ve done it to reattach the db. And it’s a very good thing to learn how to reattach as it’s scary if you don’t.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 2:00 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:And it’s a very good thing to learn how to reattach as it’s scary if you don’t.

I like that one, Joe :-)

JEM ADV

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 6:25 am

Thank you Uli and Joe. I really appreciate your help. Remember I started this Q saying I'm NEW to editing and DR ?

Sometimes trying really hard only gets you so far so quickly with no prior editing experience. LOL

ALL drives are NTFS on Win. 11. Tried the ExFat external drive route but Win. doesn't like external drives so even a disconnect and reconnect to same PC caused issues. Win. didn't see it or would block file transfers, etc. Hours on the phone with Microsoft and Seagate IT going over various settings (No 3rd party Anti-Virus) Even turned off ALL Defender options without an answer so ALL NTFS and seems to work better now. SanDisk NVME SSD didn't have a problem so maybe Seagate Ext. and Win. issues?

I didn't have DR 18.6 storage media set up efficiently or correctly and started running into a major "Render Cache" time suck as more and more demand was added. (Tracks, FX, Audio) I knew the HDD would likely be a bottleneck but didn't think it would be so bad creating 30 min. entry level video projects. When I say FX, I'm only doing text and audio commentary. Pretty basic stuff. No animated text or anything special but if I am going to put time into learning DR, I needed a faster system.

I decided to try USB-C (10 Gbps) NVME SSD and compare. Various test prove I need to find an 8+TB NVME SSD for main OS and direct the CACHE there at 10X the speed of USB-C but would rather not spend the money at this time so testing USB-C NVME SSD for now. Faster setup than writing / reading from a single HDD or even multiple HDD. (But not fast enough, cannot justify the time waiting)

Appears my offline media problem was the "diskdb" restore still connected to the backup HDD.

I directed the projects to the SSD drives where everything was moved to but database location was still connected to the HDD that orig. contained the diskdb file. Between that and the orig. media being located on a diff. HDD there were some files trying to relink to HDD vs the SSD that contained everything.

Wasn't familiar with working in a sandbox eco system. I think that problem is solved going forward.

I could see files online but the Media Storage Bins weren't displaying the files. After I realized the diskdb was still connected to HDD and corrected that. All but 1 clip with a manually created name relinked. I can see the file but must be connected to HDD. I can manually fix that without timecodes.

Speaking of time codes. Remember I have no idea what I'm doing? Haven't used timecodes for any edits yet. With most footage being GoPro Hero 8, Insta360, Samsung S21 Ultra type camera. It's a challenge. I'll try to learn how to use timecodes soon. . . my how to list has been pretty long.

This is current task mgr. specs CPU 15 - 20% and RAM 37-42% and DISK 7 to 36% and GPU 97-100%
after deleting ALL CACHE to test 580GB project rewrite speed. Looking at 2.2 to 2.5 hrs. If I changed the Playback settings to HALF, it would be much less but we are testing MAX performance.

If all 3 projects in database are 600GB each and require say 200GB Render Cache each. 750GB total CACHE should be the most I would need before project achieve and remove CACHE off the SSD. Currently have 1.3TB remaining on C: So can spare the 750GB on main NVME SSD that Win.11 OS is running on.

With GPU running at 100% to Render Cache on the entire project. And using less than 50% of all other resources. Would C drive SSD vs USB-C SSD provide faster render time?

Now that it's rendered at FULL playback. Working with Fusion and Fairlight to finish the project wouldn't be as labor intensive but even sitting here for 20 min. to render cache over and over is too much.

Would you create a folder on C: NVME and use that for CACHE? Is there a way to separate STILLS and AUDIO from the Render cache drive folder? Fairlight is a resource hog so maybe it needs to be on C: also? Proxies are turned on and setup but SSD folder is empty? (Don't know how to use Proxies, many something is missing?)

Timeline proxy resolution is set to FULL but folder is empty so I assume it's using CACHE folder. Appears to be one or the other. DR is complicated for a new user? Even after watching prob. 20 YT videos on storage media settings. (Still confusing)

Thank you
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 8:00 am

JEM ADV wrote:With most footage being GoPro Hero 8, Insta360, Samsung S21 Ultra type camera. It's a challenge.

Definitely is. AFAIK, neither the GoPro nor the Insta360 has TC. I might be wrong about the latter, please check, Media Info is free. The Samsung may have TC, but it poses another problem: like all smartphones it doesn't have constant fps. So, don't expect audio to be 100% in sync, and some other problems may lurk around the corner.
Regarding bottlenecks: SSDs will not be your problem, since all those sources are highly compressed and have pretty low data rates. Your biggest issue might be decoding of those sources, if your machine doesn't have the necessary hardware. In particular, if you shoot higher than UHD resolution with the GoPro.
Finally, Timeline Proxy Resolution under Playback is not really generating proxies, it's actually pretty useless, IMHO. Generating real proxies would be helpful, as would be transcoding all your sources to an intermediate codec, while adding TC at the same time.

JEM ADV

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 2:40 am

Thank you,

PS: We are capturing off road outdoor action content with 5-7 camera on UTV (H.264) 1080p/60fps recording 6-8 hrs. per camera each day (4k overheat, used like this) then cut out the clips we don't want. Cam A,B,C,D,E files stacked tracks. Match up the starting frame since each camera is recording on the same vehicle (diff. focal points) then cut all tracks and call that 0. Audio only from in cab camera wireless mic. (All other audio tracks are deleted in DR to reduce file size) As we delete the content not needed from each track. We leave the gap to keep tracks aligned to build out track 1 by dragging clips into that track. We haven't used timecodes to do this because the number of hours required to recode and create timecodes, may exceed the benefits. We haven’t converted H.264 / HD because the overall benefit appears to be minimal for YT.

I read online CPU i9-12900 also processes H.264 in DR. Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 graphics card was considered the fastest in the world a year ago. It has 21% more CUDA cores than the RTX 3080 and more than twice as much VRAM with 24GB of GDDR6X memory. When I ordered this system you couldn’t buy the RTX3090 and if you could the price was around $2500-3000. There is always bigger and better technology but for what we do, this PC seemed to be the sweet spot. Yet, with all it’s high end spec. DR 18.6 cannot play 4k/60 at full without render cache. Or multiple FX without render cache.

Proxies was a bust, spent about 4 hrs. creating that for restored database and didn’t change anything. I’m obviously doing something wrong but I don’t think it’s hardware related. Just did a new re-install for DR 18.6 a few days ago. Cleared everything and built another render cache but that restored project still will not playback.

Back to our edit process:

When track 1 hits 30 - 60 min. clip and we have used all the best footage. The remainder can be deleted. (we have a copy of orig.)
256GB SD in each camera is generally about full X 5-7 SD. Repeat for day 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. If the project produces 5-10 videos for that location, it was for marketing purposes and YT. (Charity, nobody is on the clock to produce this)

Our Action cam is H.264 and YT is always trying to compress as H.264 so the only way I’m aware of to maintain a better VP9 is upscale to 2048 x 1152 (16:9) If we perform X2 upscale and 2k during render, takes about 6+ hrs. for 30 min. HD video. And even water cooled the PC fans are all screaming the entire time. (Imagine if we used 4k)

I just spent the past couple days reading and testing DR 18.6 settings and made a mess of things following the YT University tutorial settings. Had to reset DR to default because DR couldn’t play back HD at ¼ speed even with render cache.

Can only assume the restored media has become corrupt because it won’t play back the 60 fps clips more than 5 fps. But create a new project with new media, plays back HD / 60fps at full speed without render cache.

I downloaded XMedia Recode 64bit (YT recommended software to convert) another waste of time.

I’ve learned a lot about DR 18.6 settings that I didn’t know about. Much better understanding of the media tree, etc. But all attempts to restore backup diskdb have been futile. Time to rebuild it and move forward with what I’ve learned.

Thank you for your time and suggestions. I really appreciate it
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 3:18 am

Without TC, start all over with your new setup and don’t move any files any more.
Media Management to trim down your sources will probably not work either.

BTW, a 3090 won’t do anything for certain flavors of H.265. A cheap Mac Mini would for less than 1K. An Intel CPU with QS too.

JEM ADV

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 3:37 am

We don't use H.265

YT wants to compress everything to H.264 so based on our use it should be better to use H.264 from camera vs convert, convert, convert only to end up back at H.264 HD

There is supposed to be quality loss every time a file is converted. If converting HD multiple times that seems counter productive
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 4:00 am

Don't do anything but hard cuts then in DR then, or you'll get a third, lossy compression. YT will always recompress.
But I'll tell you a little secret: YT will also accept mezzanine codecs for upload if the videos are not too long. Use one of those if you want to do more than hard cuts.

JEM ADV

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 4:29 am

Which of the format is used as mezzanine file format?
There are fewer mezzanine file formats out there and these formats are very special. Here are some of the MOST popular formats: MXF (DNxHD/DNxHR) - Popular use with Avid and Premiere. MOV (DNxHD/DNxHR) - Popular use with Avid and Premiere.

Render out in DNxHD ?
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 4:34 am

Yep. Or DNxHR for UHD.
On a current Mac ProRes would be faster. I understand you've got a PC, but for others reading this.

JEM ADV

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 6:21 am

Thanks again Uli You are obviously very knowledgeable and experienced

PS: May I suggest using the term DNxHD that DR 18.6 uses for simplicity

New editors are drowning in info. trying to connect the dots. "Mezzanine file" was a term I had never heard of before and prob. won't hear it again. lol

Goggled it to learn it's another way of saying DNxHD

Some YT testers said the best HD results were Quicktime DNxHD 2048 x 1152 = VP9 playback instead of the extra compressed H.264 but all the above had to be met or the HD wouldn't pass the requirements for VP9 and YT would default to H.264 for HD. (After uploading the same video to test this theory)

This didn't apply if uploading 4k, we are talking HD that I use.

Thank you
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 7:49 am

Well, it has been my job for over 30 years to know these things. What meant constant learning, about 10 or 20 percent of what I studied are still applicable today…

Mezzanine is another word for intermediate codec, in the beginning they were even called 'editing codecs', since even the strongest computer couldn't handle footage from high-end cameras in real-time. Most widespread are DNxHD/HR for PCs and ProRes for Macs. At similar data rates both are about as good. Some people like CineForm better under Windows. ProRes is even used for most of productions in the leading cameras by Arri. The main advantages of these codecs are their stability over generations and being pretty easy on the hardware side. Apple is even supporting ProRes by hardware now, but that matters far less than for H.264 or 265. DR can read all three, but on the PC it can't deliver ProRes on its own. Fusion can, and there are plug-ins for ProRes, if the client insists.

You are probably right about the size to upload to YT to force them to use the better codecs. Anyway, they change their rules all the time and ruin your video quality if you don't keep up learning.

JEM ADV

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 10:25 pm

Hi Uli,
If you have time, maybe you or anyone can offer a theory about (Win. 11) DR 18.6 Proxies.

I played the HD timeline at FULL playback last night with SMART render cache on and it only created a couple small sections of cache. Never skipped from 60 fps but I haven't added FX anything back in yet. Just the orig. HD playback at FULL. (DR should playback FULL HD on this PC. lol)

I wanted to test working with Proxies since that is new to me. So many tutorials have recommended 18.6 Proxies when working with remote editors. Something we will need to do in the future to finish out videos. So in an attempt to understand my options and create the most efficient work flow. . .

Camera D Bin has (13) MP4 /H.264 files (150GB total) located on SSD NVME. DR 18.6 Media Pool

I highlight all files and instruct DR to create proxies. (As YT Guru instruct) If I create the Proxies folder on a separate SSD or choose to create Proxies folder in the same Media folder SSD the data transfer still reads from one SSD and writes on an SSD. Shouldn't matter if I use the same media SSD or another SSD connected to the same USB-C HUB because all data must transfer in/out HUB via SSD NVME storage sources that are faster than the 3 port HUB. Correct?
I saved the Proxies Folder in the same Media CAM folder it pertains to. Just providing info. to help understand and hopefully resolve why this is taking so long for HD Proxies.

When I started this "Generate Proxy Media" in DR 18.6 on my PC. DR pop up tells me 37 min. remaining and then it increased to 48 min. remaining. 2 hrs. later it says 38 min. remaining. 3 hrs. later it says 28 min. remaining. It has said 12 min. remaining for the past 30 min. and is now at 3 min. remaining 30+ min. later. Oh wait, it's increasing the remaining time again now at 98% complete? Said, 1 min. remaining for 10 min. OMG!

4 hrs. of not being able to use DR, just to create CAM_D proxies of 150GB is nuts. (CAM_B has 106GB folder generated 181GB Proxy folder and took like 30 min.) I can only assume the proxy process continues in the background because time increased as I generated CAM B, C, D Proxy folders. If so, then the background processing is still using resources for possibly hours?

Any idea why this estimate is so far off and more importantly if I can do something to speed this up? The org. files were changed from MP4 (H.264) to MOV DNxHR (AVdh) in Proxies folder?

Did this change cause my delay? Should I select H.264 vs DNxHR SQ for proxies ?

The "Render Cache menu options" don't offer H.264 so I stayed with DNxHR SQ for all.

All of our camera create H.264 files. (I verified, don't have diff. codec in these files)

I have verified all drivers are updated and everything is preforming within specs. according to the various software performance test. (to the best of my knowledge)

How do editors get any work done?

Any help or previous topics links on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 1:43 am

Your 3090 GPU won't help with any de- or encoding of H.264. Is your CPU an "F" model or not?
We use a cheap, refurb Mac mini M1 for generating proxies, and it's much faster than what you describe, and it's freeing up our PCs while doing that. Reading from one SSD and writing to another one is somewhat faster, I got to ask our technician by how much. And then, we transcode the proxies to ProRes LT or Proxy, which is very light on PCs too.

Added:
He says he's using Shutter Encoder, which is very flexible regarding size and codec, and has both batch transcoding and watch folders. The downside: it's not using the integrated ProRes hardware of the Mac, only the CPU cores. Going from one SSD to the other is only marginally faster in this case, but he's usually sending it to our server anyway. He has this little machine running all the time.
If something is urgent, he's using the BM Proxy Generator, which is about three times faster (over 100 fps) with the Mx hardware, but it goes to the same SSD anyway.

JEM ADV

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 3:15 am

Hi Uli,

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

NVIDIA GPU DECODE STREAM CHART FOR 1080p
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tYYbwI ... sp=sharing

I can change all of our camera to HVEC 8-bit so every file is H.265 vs H.264 but everything I read about 2 yrs. ago said HVEC / H.265 is harder for computers to process. If the entire editing process is better using HVEC with our PC, then we can do that. (I just double checked all the cameras to verify they have HVEC)

Currently we have months of HD / H.264 footage. (At least 10TB of HD ) Why I'm putting so much effort into understanding which direction to go with this before we have more H.264 footage to edit. I wouldn't need to convert all of that because 75% will prob. be deleted but if 150GB took 4 hours to create proxies. . .

Thank you
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 3:36 am

Well, your Nvidia is about decoding only, but the Intel should help with encoding. That's needed, since the Proxy Generator doesn't offer anything else than GOP codecs on PC.
Try how fast transcoding into DNxHR at proxy resolution would be with Shutter Encoder.

JEM ADV

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 4:39 am

Hi Uli,

Appears Shutter Encoder v17.9 is going to take 3 hrs. for 93.6 GB encoded from H.264 to DNxHR_SQ and DR took 4 hrs. for 145-150 GB. ( Same settings )

If the current speed continues (every file is 11 GB so it should ) DR converted about 50% more in 4 hrs.

Was Shutter Encoder supposed to be faster or a test to verify DR ?

Thoughts?

Thank you
JEM ADV

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 4:54 am

Seems that’s what you get from your hardware, so DR is using the decoder, while Shutter Encoder is using only the CPU. The difference is higher on a Mac, though.

JEM ADV

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 7:34 am

Hi Uli,

Finished 93.6 GB in 151 min. so about the same 1.6 avg. The converted H.264 files went from 93.6 GB to 604GB DNxHR_SQ

DR converted Proxy folder 145 GB to 178 GB same DNxHR_SQ How is that possible?

Based on this info. my CPU and GPU are very well matched. (If only DR 18 could use both together efficiently)

Have you heard of Winxvideo AI ? Kind of looks like Topaz Labs

When I was researching software options and this popped up along with too many Pro / Con between H.264 & H.265 to pick a clear winner. But based on the amount of footage I'm capturing H.265 smaller file size would be nice.

I have another much older and slower Win. 10 PC that could convert H.265 to DNxHR before DR edit but that is a lot of back and forth for that much footage.

Thank you
JEM ADV

JEM ADV

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 4:15 am

Want to say thank you to whom ever shared my PC specs challenges with the right people to force a Win. 11 update TODAY. Intel also had an update.

Just tested DR 18.6 file transcode again using HD/60fps H.264 to DNxHD_SQ same specs as before.

Task mgr. specs test a couple days ago was CPU 15 - 20% and RAM 37-42% and DISK 7 to 36% and GPU 97-100% and it stayed this way for 4 hours. CPU never exceeded 20%

Today after the Win. 11 update. CPU ran almost 100% the entire DR conversion time. Would drop down a sec. then right back to 100%. (PC has water cooled CAYO CHAMBER) RAM 27% and GPU 98-100% and C: NVME SSD at 5%. TEST File size started as 33.5 GB converted to 327 GB and when DR 18.6 estimated 12.5 run time remaining when starting, it finished at 13 min. WoW! what a diff.

I haven't tested Rendering a project. This test was performed the same as previous file "transcode" conversion test.

Let's hope everything continues using all hardware. We pay good money for this and time is priceless

Thank you
JEM ADV

Return to DaVinci Resolve