Glitches and missing frames in output

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

shadewind

Glitches and missing frames in output

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 9:10 am

Hi,

Sometimes when I render, I get missing/black frames randomly inserted into the output. This frequently occurs together with Fusion titles or with clip transitions.

Has anyone seen anything similar? It often looks like black flickering.

shadewind

Re: Glitches and missing frames in output

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 11:46 am

So, I realized that this glitch was also present in the edit and color timelines. So I tried clearing the render cache and now the issue is gone in the output as well. However, what worries me is that I had not checked the "Use render cached images" so my assumption was that it would rerender the output so that any glitches in the cache are not present? I could see real danger with flaws in the render cache sneaking into final output here.

andrew_dotdot

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Andrew Hart - Stockholm, Sweden

Resolve Studio 18.5
Mac M1 Pro on MacOS 13.4.1

shadewind

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 8:09 pm

andrew_dotdot wrote:Sounds similar to this:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=127230&p=693429#p693429

It does indeed, but mine appears in the rendered output file as well. I recorded two small clips that shows it happening both in Resolve and in the rendered file in a different player:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbxj7939o0uya ... 6.MOV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/leh9as4q0tbx5 ... 7.MOV?dl=0

It's not in the same spot here because I cleared the cache between rendering and then recording in Resolve, but these glitches keep appearing in different places. If I remove the Fusion title that shows the date in the lower left corner, this glitch disappears entirely, it's only there if I have the title.

In general, I've had quite a few of these glitches and they often seem to happen in transitions, titles or Fusion compositions.

I'm running Resolve 17 Beta 7, I have a GTX 970 card with driver version 460.89. The driver is the game ready version since the studio version doesn't support the GTX 970.

I should perhaps add that the Fusion title is with in a sub-timeline which is then included in the timeline that's playing. That is, I have an outher timeline and several inner timelines. The inner timelines have Fusion titles in them sometimes. Clearing the cache only moved the problem elsewhere, as I stated above. Enabling and disabling the video track that contains the Fusion composition in the inner timeline might have solved the issue, I'm not sure yet. Still testing.

jsoukia

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 1:37 pm

Have you found a solution for this problem? I'm having a similar one: when I Render Cache some clips, they get randomly cropped when I play the timeline. This is randomly happening since I updated to Resolve 18.

piotrek2555

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 7:32 pm

Worked for me: I simply in fusion page, clicking in right bottom corner and select purge cache, then deleting cache from all clips and re render again
Ryzen 7 3700x
18.6.1 - free dv
64 gb ram ddr4
win 10 x64
Asus b450 pro gaming
gtx 1660

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 10:27 pm

Would be great if one of you folks created a small reproducible test case for this.
If the devs can repro it they can fix it! :)
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve