Time for audio to show on timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

the_green_lantern

Time for audio to show on timeline

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Happy 4th Monday of the Week all!!

I've been using DaVinci for a couple of years now and I am a super basic user. Nothing more than simple cuts/fades and the occasional frame splicing. All editing/exporting is low rate (720 or 1080). I have done quite a bit of research into ensuring that my system is tweaked properly for optimal performance and I think it performs great on the whole.

One thing that seems to elude me is the amount of time it takes for waveforms to show in timelines. I've tried different render settings (none, user, smart). I have separate super fast SSD's for project cache/media etc. They seem to show fairly quick at times and others when it seems to take several minutes.

Is there a setting (or a group of settings) that I should be paying closer attention to? Does the frame rate (24 vs 30 for example) have an impact? It should be noted that I use Handbrake to convert my media into static frame rates (24 & 30 respectively) before using DaVinci to edit/export, as that seems to help with the overall editing experience.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Lenovo Ideapad 2023
1.8GHz AMD Ryzen 7 5700U w/ Radeon Graphics
16GB RAM
Windows 11

Jim Simon

Re: Time for audio to show on timeline

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm

the_green_lantern wrote:Happy 4th Monday of the Week all!!
How many Mondays do you get in a week?! :D
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 pm

the_green_lantern wrote:Is there a setting (or a group of settings) that I should be paying closer attention to?
There are no user settings for this. Speed of Caching waveforms is a function of your hardware.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

the_green_lantern

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 4:21 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
the_green_lantern wrote:Is there a setting (or a group of settings) that I should be paying closer attention to?
There are no user settings for this. Speed of Caching waveforms is a function of your hardware.

Thank you. Appreciate the quick response.

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 1:59 am

And it can take quite a while for long takes.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mads Johansen

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 5:10 am

I've struggled with this as well.
So far I've discovered that:
a) Davinci only creates waveform when the file is visible in the timeline,
b) that it only does 4 files at a time (but does them in parallel, eg that a spinning HDD will be very slow because of all the seeking, an SSD will be much faster),
c) that local files are cached much faster than files on a network, even on an SSD,
d) speed: via SMB network: 10 minutes of real time for 1 hour of H.264 clip. Internal HDD: ?. Internal SSD: 4 minutes for 8 hours (4x2 hr H.264 clips, maxed 4 cpu cores) and
e) that Resolve will only work at full capacity on the first timeline (eg 4 files at a time with 4 cores maxed), afterwards (eg in a new timeline) the waveform generation is 1 core max.
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B Build 20, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 552.22 Studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve