bug: Dynamic Project Switching

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rsf123

bug: Dynamic Project Switching

PostSun Oct 08, 2023 11:50 am

Ever since upgrading to 18.6 and even 18.6.1, Dynamic Project Switching has not been working.

Usually, when multiple projects are open, I would toggle between projects by clicking the pulldown menu (at the top of the screen, centre, where the downward-pointing arrow indicates the pulldown menu.

Are other aware of this bug? or is there a new way of achieving Dynamic Project Switching?

Andy Mees

Re: bug: Dynamic Project Switching

PostSun Oct 08, 2023 12:56 pm

Still working as normal on my Mac Resolve 18.6.1, Roger, you might want to check that Dynamic Project Switching is still enabled in your Project Manager.

Jose Spena

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 1:26 am

Is not working for me neither since 18.6
.......Jose Spena.......
<<< Set | Shoot | Repeat >>>

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 2:05 am

Can you relaunch Resolve and without opening any projects, right click on the project manager empty space to enable it? Does that work? If not, can you send us logs please.
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Peter Cave

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 4:32 am

Working perfectly for me too.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

rsf123

PostThu Oct 12, 2023 11:30 am

Rohit Singhal wrote:Can you relaunch Resolve and without opening any projects, right click on the project manager empty space to enable it? Does that work? If not, can you send us logs please.

I don't understand. I checked it first time - and dynamic switching was not working. (BTW, I understand that Dynamic switching is turned on by right-clicking in the Project Manager, and selection the option. Also BTW, it could be made more user-intuitive).

Then I did as you requested, I booted up Davinci, and with no projects opened, I checked by right-clicking that Dynamic Switching was turned on - and tried it, and it did not work.

Then I shut down Davinci. Then booted it up again, and now it works.

I will be sending you two sets of logs - the first is when Dynamic Switching was not working - the second log is when it was working. Maybe you can see if there's any difference.

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20231012-222305.zip
(925.83 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20231012-222930.zip
(932.98 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

rsf123

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 1:40 pm

Even with today's update 18.6.4 Build 6, I am still having the above problem i.e. when I click the downwardly-facing little arrow to do a dynamic switch, nothing responds.

I have previously right-clicked inside the Project Manager to activate Dynamic Project Switching.

I've not been able to use Dynamic Project Switching through all these updates from 18.6.1 through to 18.6.4

Steve Alexander

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 2:09 pm

If you open the Fusion page, dynamic project switching from the ^ menu at the top of the screen is disabled. Is that what we are talking about? This is a known bug. Not sure why it hasn't been fixed yet.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

rsf123

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 10:24 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:If you open the Fusion page, dynamic project switching from the ^ menu at the top of the screen is disabled. Is that what we are talking about? This is a known bug. Not sure why it hasn't been fixed yet.

Upon reading your comment, I re-checked it on latest 18.6.4, and the Dynamic switching is still not working either on Edit tab or Fusion tab.

I clarify that it has, in the past, which is why I have been able to use Dynamic switching in the past. I do know how it works. But it just stopped working in one of the updates, and never came back.

rsf123

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 10:37 pm

Oh, oh, I see that in 18.6.4 the Dynamic Project switching has been placed in the FILE menu, under the menu-item SWITCH PROJECT which displays all the opened projects.

This is SOOO much better.

rsf123

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 7:54 am

The odd things is, on my Mac Mini the old way of dynamic switching does not work. But on the Mac Studio, the old way does work.

Both on latest 16.8.4

I suppose it doesn't matter anymore, given that the switching can now be done via the FILE pulldown menu / SWITCH MENU.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 6:35 am

Hi Roger, Andy, everyone

Thanks for the reports. Resolve 18.6.5 should fix this.

Travis Tomas

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 11:21 pm

It is April 4th 2024 and I and not able to get dynamic project to work as intended. The ONLY way I can get it to work, (after making sure that this feature is check marked) is to open a project, then go to FILE and OPEN RECENT PROJECT and select another project to open. This will allow me to switch between those 2 projects.

However, If i want to open a project that does not show up in the most recent projects, like from project library, this dynamic switching does not work. All that happens is that the latest project opened is the only project that Davinci thinks is open.

Please help shed some light on this

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 2:19 pm

You're running 18.6.6 Travis?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Travis Tomas

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 11:32 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You're running 18.6.6 Travis?

Hi Jim, that is correct 18.6.6 thanks

Travis Tomas

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:16 pm

I should add that I just noticed when switching from project to project within the same project folder, I have found the Dynamic Switching to work as intended as well as when I switch between projects using the most recent projects as mentioned above.

However, If I go back into project library and go to a different project folder than the one I currently working on, and one that it not in the most recent projects dropdown, then the project that gets opened is the only project that I can see and the previous project I had opened is now gone.

Jim Simon

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 10:40 pm

You're not switching Libraries (Databases) are you, Travis?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Travis Tomas

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You're not switching Libraries (Databases) are you, Travis?

Ok, that might be my problem then ;). I have several project files in my Local Database but once I open a project file within that, I have not found a way to return back to that Local Database to see the other project files (and switch to another project within those), other than by switching to the other Database that I have (A Database of sound effects) and then switching back to the Main Database where now I can see the project files within and open another project.

This appears to be where the issue is as you are implying Jim. Is there a way to go back to the main Database once you have opened a project file within that Database without having to switch Databases first? This could solve my problem with the Dynamic Switching.

Thanks again

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 pm

Dynamic Project Switching only works from within the same Library. When you switch to another Library, any currently opened project will close.

That said, you should be able to add a database of sound files into the Sound Library on Fairlight. Those will also be available to all projects in the same Library.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Travis Tomas

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:08 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Dynamic Project Switching only works from within the same Library. When you switch to another Library, any currently opened project will close.

That said, you should be able to add a database of sound files into the Sound Library on Fairlight. Those will also be available to all projects in the same Library.

Gotcha! Thanks for the help Jim.

It appears Dynamic Project Switching DOES work as intended in 18.6.6 :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve