Codec & license Studio on DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Scuianut

Codec & license Studio on DaVinci Resolve

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 4:44 am

Hello everyone,
I discovered and used DaVinci Resolve because my son's school was doing an activity to raise awareness of how a film is made.
Part of the activities were carried out at school and part at home.
However, I realized that my computer (with Linux Mint) is not able to open the *.mp4 files present in the project and I would have to convert them to *.mov but I would lose interoperability with the other members of the film project.
I understand that this is a codec licensing issue. I had to install Windows and DaVinci Resolve x win to be able to help my son do his homework.
I liked the software, so I'm interested in using it for other family video editing tasks but on Linux if possible.
So I would like to know two things:
-if I purchase the Studio license can I eliminate the problem of opening file formats with codec license under Linux (interoperability)?
-is the Studio license linked to the software or the type of version? That is, if I purchase it today (ver. 18.6), when version 19 comes out, is it still valid or not?
Thank you very much for the support you want to give me.

Reynaud Venter

Re: Codec & license Studio on DaVinci Resolve

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 10:18 am

Refer to the Resolve Supported Formats and Codecs document for support across different platforms:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 5996810000
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Nick2021

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 10:40 am

So far upgrades have been free. I think I bought v15. Might have been v16. I'm still current. The policy goes back much further than me.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 11:23 am

Scuianut wrote:-if I purchase the Studio license can I eliminate the problem of opening file formats with codec license under Linux (interoperability)?

For video, most likely yes. But do note in the document Reynaud linked to that AAC audio isn't supported in the Linux version of DaVinci Resolve Studio. AAC is the most common audio codec used in .mp4 files.

Jef Damen

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 12:23 pm

I had the same problem as you when I started DR on Ubuntu.
I bought the Studio version and made a script to convert the audio into PCM.
With this script the video is not touched.
So, this script converts all the selected files and copies them in a folder .
From that folder I move them to the right place on my SSD.
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

IFS=$'\n'

for FILEPATH in $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS
do
   ffmpeg -i $FILEPATH -vcodec copy -c:a pcm_s24le -ar 48000 -y /media/data1/cameras/VoorDavinciResolve/$(basename "$FILEPATH")_pcm24.MOV
done

This script can be called within Nautilus, on this page you can read how it works.
It´s in Dutch but you can easely translate it.
https://linuxmag.nl/workshop/
Hope this helps.
-Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-8750H CPU@2.20GHz/System memory:16GB/NVIDIA GeForce GTX1600 6GB/Samsung SSD970EvoM.2 1TB(PCIe3.0 x4 NVMe)+Samsung SSD850Evo500GB/Ubuntu22.04LTS
-LG Gram16Intel Corei7-1165G7/16GB/Intel Iris Xe Graphics/500GB SSD/Windows 10/Studio18.5.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve