New Micro Color Panel MacOS question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mmurnan

New Micro Color Panel MacOS question

PostWed May 08, 2024 6:48 am

Our production currently has a Micro Panel, and we are forced to run MacOS 12 (Monterey) due to restrictions on software we are running. Does the New Micro Color Panel work with Monterey or does it have to be more up-to-date? If I plug it in, will it just not register? I have the most up-to-date Resolve Studio running and I do see it as an option in the video panels section...

Jim Simon

Re: New Micro Color Panel MacOS question

PostFri May 10, 2024 4:45 pm

The new panel does require version 19, which is currently in Beta.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 10, 2024 11:09 pm

As Jim mentions, the Micro Color panel is only supported in Resolve 19. And in Resolve 19 beta 2, the Micro Color panel is in the panel selection list.

Note that Ventura is the oldest macOS version supported in Resolve 19. That said, 19 beta 2 is working under Monterey on my 5,1 MacPro test system. And I would expect the Micro Color panel to not care about the macOS version.

And that said, just because 19 beta 2 is working under Monterey, it's still not supported, so any issues reported using Monterey would likely not be addressed. Things most likely to be affected would be Neural Engine features which may not be properly supported in Metal on older macOS versions.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

mmurnan

PostSat May 11, 2024 6:35 am

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I wasn't aware about needing 19, and also wasn't aware that 19 will not work on Monterey (outside of Beta). Good to know. Cheers!

Uli Plank

PostSat May 11, 2024 9:00 am

It would expect it to work under Monterey.
You just can’t expect support and there might be issues with neural features, as Dwaine explained. So, it might be still an option for those with older machines and the free version.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Return to DaVinci Resolve