Why do we need to enter our information to download?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Shell64

Why do we need to enter our information to download?

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:36 am

In the free version of resolve, why are we required to enter in our information? Why can’t we just download it, like we can with resolve studio? Also, even if you have a forum account, you still have to enter your information every time you want to download resolve light! Why must we do this?

gtempleman

Re: Why do we need to enter our information to download?

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 3:36 pm

I didn't mind doing that the first time, but when the auto update from beta 6 didn't work it was a slight bummer to have to do it again to go to beta 7.
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro x64
Version 23H2 build 22631.3527
MSI MS-7E07 Motherboard
Intel i5-13600K
64GB DDR5 RAM
ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB
Driver version 555.85
Resolve (Studio) 18.6.6 build 7

Phil Side

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 7:18 pm

There's a sneaky little "Download Only" link at the bottom left of the form where you fill in all of your detail. Just click that and you don't need to fill in anything.

momentmal

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 4:24 pm

+1

the painful thing about this is, i already am a registered blackmagic cloud user.
Blackmagic has all my personal data alredy. Why prompt me to enter redundant information instead of just offering a registered user a download button for the beta inside BM cloud? I can sadly only download 18.6 there.

michael314

PostSun May 12, 2024 6:15 pm

I don't see a sneaky little "Download Only" link anywhere.

And unfortunately, I have had enough frustration with this product that I'm going to have to throw away all the work I have done, remove DR from my system, and delete all the work I have ever done with it. That's how frustrating it is when I have a video that shows correctly in DR 18.0 but when I render it it turns half of my fusion clips into black videos with effects applied instead of the proper video, and when I try updating to 18.6.6 to see if the problem has been fixed I am presented with these hurdles that I am supposed to jump before I can try to solve the problem. Well I'm not going to do it, and I just want somebody to know how much this upsets me so that hopefully they will care enough to try to not put such barricades up in the future.

Mads Johansen

PostSun May 12, 2024 6:27 pm

michael314 wrote:I don't see a sneaky little "Download Only" link anywhere.

And unfortunately, I have had enough frustration with this product that I'm going to have to throw away all the work I have done, remove DR from my system, and delete all the work I have ever done with it. That's how frustrating it is when I have a video that shows correctly in DR 18.0 but when I render it it turns half of my fusion clips into black videos with effects applied instead of the proper video, and when I try updating to 18.6.6 to see if the problem has been fixed I am presented with these hurdles that I am supposed to jump before I can try to solve the problem. Well I'm not going to do it, and I just want somebody to know how much this upsets me so that hopefully they will care enough to try to not put such barricades up in the future.

Your anger is valid. It is extremely frustrating when things doesn't work the way we expect it to.

The Download Only button is only for the Studio version.
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B2 Build 25, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 552.22 Studio

Jim Simon

PostSun May 12, 2024 11:57 pm

michael314 wrote:I don't see a sneaky little "Download Only" link anywhere.
That's only available for the Studio version.

Free users have to enter info every time.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostMon May 13, 2024 1:15 am

Jim Simon wrote:That's only available for the Studio version. Free users have to enter info every time.

True -- that's yet another advantage of Resolve Studio.

Unpopular opinion: if it were up to me, I'd either get rid of the free version of Resolve, or change the name to "Resolve Student," or charge $9.99 for it. I'm kind of appalled that people expect free support for a free program. Even shareware actually costs real money to maintain (if you've ever used or had to manage shareware).
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve