Audio breaking up in the editing tab

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BoundlessRoads

Audio breaking up in the editing tab

PostMon May 13, 2024 6:08 pm

Hey there, I am just starting out with Davinci Resolve, and I have encountered an issue with the audio while editing—actually, two issues.

1. if I listen to the audio (imported music) during the editing process (in the edit tab) it breaks up. Like it's scattered. The audio file is fine because I tried to listen to it before importing it and it works and also when I export the video with the audio and it works just fine. However during the editing I cannot hear it properly and it makes it impossible to edit. Do you have an idea of what I am doing wrong?

2. I have imported a video I took with DJI Osmo Pocket. It was recorded at 60 fps, but I changed the format to 30. However, when I play it in the editing section, it goes in slow motion, and also the audio is barely audible and it breaks up.

Can anybody please help?

I have edited with audio multiple times, but this issue has never happened before.

Thanks a lot
isabella
Last edited by BoundlessRoads on Mon May 13, 2024 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mads Johansen

Re: AUDIO BREAKING UP IN THE EDITING TAB

PostMon May 13, 2024 7:11 pm

1: Any music or just in relation to issue 2?

2: I suspect you have Optical Flow enabled in Project Settings or in the Inspector.
How did you change to 30 fps?

(And the mods here does not like all caps titles, I'd change it before they find out)
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B3 Build 33, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 555.85 Studio

BoundlessRoads

Re: AUDIO BREAKING UP IN THE EDITING TAB

PostMon May 13, 2024 7:27 pm

Mads Johansen wrote:1: Any music or just in relation to issue 2?

2: I suspect you have Optical Flow enabled in Project Settings or in the Inspector.
How did you change to 30 fps?

(And the mods here does not like all caps titles, I'd change it before they find out)

Hey Mads, thank you so much (I changed the title :) - thanks for letting me know)

So the strangest thing happened. I had to delete the files and move the original file from the external drive to my desktop because I couldn't link them with the DVR clips.

I have added everything again, including music, in the same timeline. And now everything works perfectly.
even my clips with me talking work perfectly.

In any case I wanted to reply to your questions in case it will happen again.
so any music, I tried with files from Artlists and my own audio, same issue.
I tried to check Optical Flow enabled in Project Settings or in the Inspector but I couldn't find where.

As for where I changed the FPS in the Clip attribute. I have rightliclicked on the clip in the timeline.

If you know what I did wrong I would love to hear :)

thank you so much again for your time. I really appreciate it.

Mads Johansen

Re: Audio breaking up in the editing tab

PostTue May 14, 2024 3:46 pm

You didn't specify that the files were on an external drive, that adds another layer of complexity.

If it works when it is on the local computer, that sounds like a transfer speed and/or latency problem then.

Clip attributes only changes the visual change of frames, the sound isn't changed at all.
If you want to change the sound as well, you need to change Speed Change in the Inspector (see attached image), remembering to tick Ripple Timeline, otherwise you'll get odd results.

The Retime and Scaling settings at the bottom of the Inspector has the Retime Process. Optical flow is very processor/graphics card intensive, so that will slow down playback, making the sound slower as well. Nearest neighbour is the easiest and will do the 60 -> 30 fps (with Speed Change to 200%) you wanted in the first place.
(If the 200% doesn't make sense, think of it like this: In one second the source video is showing frame 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.. 57,58,59. Speed Change to 50% and it will show frame 0,0,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5..58,58,59,59. Speed change to 200% will show 0,2,4,6,8,10..54,56,58, but in ½ second)
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-14 173535.png
Screenshot 2024-05-14 173535.png (62.39 KiB) Viewed 346 times

BoundlessRoads

PostTue May 14, 2024 3:54 pm

Thank you so much!

BoundlessRoads

PostWed Jun 05, 2024 2:56 pm

[quote="Mads Johansen"]You didn't specify that the files were on an external drive, that adds another layer of complexity.

If it works when it is on the local computer, that sounds like a transfer speed and/or latency problem then.

Hey there,
I am back with the same issue. This time I didn't change anything from the settings or the clips. I just added the clips and my audio file (hosted on the desktop) but when I watch the video for editing, the audio is breaking up.

I tried to export it, and it works fine once it's exported but i need to listen to the audio before doing that to check if everything is ok.

Do you have any suggestion on why the audio is breaking up?

thanks a lot for your help.

Mads Johansen

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 8:14 am

BoundlessRoads wrote:
Mads Johansen wrote:You didn't specify that the files were on an external drive, that adds another layer of complexity.

Hey there,
I am back with the same issue. This time I didn't change anything from the settings or the clips. I just added the clips and my audio file (hosted on the desktop) but when I watch the video for editing, the audio is breaking up.

I tried to export it, and it works fine once it's exported but i need to listen to the audio before doing that to check if everything is ok.

Do you have any suggestion on why the audio is breaking up?

thanks a lot for your help.

If the audio works in the rendered file and not in a timeline, that means the video is taking up too much processing power for the audio to play. (because at render time there is no "1 second of playback takes 1 second of wall time", it can take as long as it needs.) I assume you can see that in the top left corner where the status indicator is red instead of green.

If it is impossible to change how much processing power the video requires (codec, effects, OFX etc), I see two options:
1) Render the video without audio, make a new timeline, put rendered video + audio in and made edits this way (as I'm writing this, it occurs to me that it's what Render In Place and/or Render Cache does)
2) Copy the timeline, delete the video and check the audio then.

All this is with the assumption that the audio itself isn't a problem, but unless there is 100's audio tracks with effects then the assumption holds.

BoundlessRoads

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 8:39 am

Thank you so much.

When you say
"
If it is impossible to change how much processing power the video requires

is there something I can do on my laptop to have more power for processing? maybe space?
sorry if it's a silly question but I don't understand the technicality much...

Mads Johansen

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 8:50 am

Sadly no. I think you are limited by your hardware and as such only new and better hardware will give more power for processing.

Space is not a limiting factor in this occasion, because it only holds data, it does not calculate things with the data.
As an analogy, imagine you write an assignment on a piece of paper. having more space means having more pieces of paper under the one you are currently writing on. It does not make the writing go faster.
More processing power means a better pencil, more hand dexterity, better ideas etc.

I assume you understood what Render In Place and/or Render Cache meant since you didn't comment on that.

BoundlessRoads

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 9:03 am

Mads Johansen wrote:
I assume you understood what Render In Place and/or Render Cache meant since you didn't comment on that.

No I don't :D :D I understood the analogy though. That's too bad. I didn't have this issue when I was editing on Premier Pro though. So this is weird. Not even the Studio version of Davinci Resolve would help?

Mads Johansen

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 9:44 am

BoundlessRoads wrote:
Mads Johansen wrote:

No I don't :D :D I understood the analogy though. That's too bad. I didn't have this issue when I was editing on Premier Pro though. So this is weird. Not even the Studio version of Davinci Resolve would help?

Then I would highly suggest to read up on them.

You never specified what format and codec you were working with, as well as your hardware, so we can't say anything.
But in general: Yes, in specific circumstances. Decoding hardware supported video files will be faster, encoding with hardware encoders will be faster.
In your specific case, being hardware limited, I do not think so. Sorry.

There are many youtube videos with ideas how to improve Davinci performance, that's my best guess going forward.

Return to DaVinci Resolve