How to: transcripts in languages not supported by Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Håkan Mitts

How to: transcripts in languages not supported by Resolve

PostWed May 15, 2024 8:10 pm

Did a small video on my workflow for generating subtitles for languages that are not supported by Resolve (the Resolve language selection is very limited).

The workflow is based on Audacity and the OpenVINO project plugin that uses the Whisper language model. Whisper support about 100 languages so this opens up a lot new opportunities for easy subtitle generation.

With Resolve 19, you can also round trip the subtitles back into Resolve. The UI for editing subtitles in Audacity sucks big time so round-tripping back into Resolve is my recommendation.

Resolve Studio 18.6.5/Windows 10/RX 6600

Mads Johansen

Re: How to: transcripts in languages not supported by Resolv

PostWed May 15, 2024 10:15 pm

If you don't have OpenVINO, it is possible to use a first derivative: https://github.com/ggerganov/whisper.cpp
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B3 Build 33, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 555.85 Studio

Håkan Mitts

Re: How to: transcripts in languages not supported by Resolv

PostThu May 16, 2024 5:02 pm

In the video you can now compare the quality of the subtitles generated with different tools. Choose the subtitle language to check out these options:

- English - unedited transcript generated by OpenVINO with model "large-v2"
- English (Australian) - unedited transcript generated by Resolve 18.6.6
- Youtube autogenerated

Personally I find the OpenVINO version to be the best as I would have the least editing work to do to get it 100%. Resolve requires more work and Youtube autogenerated is a disgrace :)
Resolve Studio 18.6.5/Windows 10/RX 6600

Return to DaVinci Resolve