offline timeline clips but online in media pool

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Daniel Echecopar

offline timeline clips but online in media pool

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 6:39 pm

Hey guys, I have offline timeline clips but they are online in the media pool. if I right-click the clips on the timeline and select find in the media pool, nothing happens. Any ideas?

Jim Simon

Re: offline timeline clips but online in media pool

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 4:28 pm

Select the clip in both locations, right click on the timeline one, Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Oct 09, 2022 12:42 am

I think Find in Media Pool is broken in the Timeline in 18.0.4. Here's a separate report about it:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=168757
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Daniel Echecopar

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 4:05 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Select the clip in both locations, right click on the timeline one, Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip.

Hey Jim, thanks that worked. But the problem with that is that I have almost 2000 clips. Doing one by one would take ages, is there any workaround for that?

Daniel Echecopar

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 4:07 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:I think Find in Media Pool is broken in the Timeline in 18.0.4. Here's a separate report about it:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=168757

Hey Joe, This has also happened to me with previous projects, 2 years ago or so. So I wouldn't say it's the new version

Jim Simon

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 4:13 pm

Daniel Echecopar wrote:is there any workaround for that?
I'm not sure. My experience here is a bit limited.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 4:41 pm

In theory there is a workaround, but in practice it doesn't always work well. And there may be some underlying reason why you're losing the links, which this operation may not cure, even if it does work.

Make sure you have at least one verified backup of the project before you try this one. And confirm that “Auto conform clips with media added into Media Pool" is selected in general preferences (if not, that could be your problem).

Delete all 2000 clips in the media pool (from the media pool; NOT FROM THE DISK). Now right-click the timeline icon in the media pool, select timelines, select import, select additional clips with loose file names and navigate to the folder (or folders, if you have to perform this operation more than once) where the clips you just deleted from the media pool reside. And select. And hope for the best. Sometimes this works, sometimes it misses more clips than it finds, for no apparent reason, as all the clips are undamaged and in the right place.

Before attempting this one, you'll want to satisfy yourself that you've found the right menu options, which you can do before you delete the clips.

Note that you can undo the entire operation, including the deletion of the clips -- though I've never tried it with 2000 clips. You might want to try it first on a more limited basis, to observe the results.

Daniel Echecopar

PostFri Oct 21, 2022 4:24 pm

Thanks all for your replies and sorry for the late reply. I'll try what you guys have mentioned and let you know how it went. Thanks

Tamsyn_peanut

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 12:00 pm

This has just happened to me now, on the latest version.

Nils-does-things

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 11:52 pm

Same here. Mac Studio. 18.6.2
Multicam clip with two video tracks (with audio) and one separate audio track. Seems slightly random. For example, editing in the multicam the clips are visible, then going back to the main timeline, all clips go offline. Conforming them back to the media pool half works - the video part, the audio that belongs to the video clip stays offline.

All files stored on local drive.

On top of that the multicam doesn't seem to be working either or they've changed how to see all angles in the viewer... but I'll make a separate post for that. Also sync by timecode is not working properly.

Frustrating.
"There are three types of people. Those who can count and those who can't."

AndreN

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 9:50 am

Had this problem too right now for the 1st time. Had to manually Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip. Hope this won't happen again.
Andre.
Honestly, I hate editing.
Currently running DR18.6.6 studio on a MBP M3 pro 2023, Sonoma 14.4.1, 18gb RAM.
Coming from AVID. Working as DoP, editor, musician, just a guy for everything.
--
www.n13-media.de
www.instagram.com/xnthirteenx

WOODCRAFTCZ

PostFri May 17, 2024 3:05 pm

Never had this problem before and now last 2 projects are doing it, the fix worked but highly annoying. what could be causing this?

Jim Simon

PostFri May 17, 2024 3:12 pm

WOODCRAFTCZ wrote:what could be causing this?
What kind of Library are you using?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

WOODCRAFTCZ

PostFri May 17, 2024 4:22 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

Hi Jim, I figured it out, turns out in my case its a bug with b19 and the speed editor, it only happens when I import media using the smart insert function of the speed editor

webdion

PostFri May 17, 2024 7:40 pm

WOODCRAFTCZ wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:

Hi Jim, I figured it out, turns out in my case its a bug with b19 and the speed editor, it only happens when I import media using the smart insert function of the speed editor

welcome ;) viewtopic.php?f=38&t=201048
➤ DaVinci Resolve Studio 19b2
➤ Apple M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, 32-core Neural Engine
128GB unified memory
8TB SSD storage
➤ Davinci Mini Panel
➤ Davinci Speed Editor
➤ Stream Deck XL

Trevor Asquerthian

PostSat May 18, 2024 4:15 pm

POTENTIAL WORKAROUND:

Export the offline timeline as XML or OTIO and reimport. This is putting clips back online for me in very limited testing.

FOR SAFETY: select all and 'flatten multicam' to unnest.

Cliff Louiswelle

PostWed May 29, 2024 8:17 pm

So it's possible I missed a step somewhere causing the software to become confused but...

It's 2024 and I just had this same problem in v18.0.2 BUILD 7 for Windows 11 64-bit when copying BRAW clips from another project opened 'read-only' with "dynamic project switching" enabled. One more thing to note is that I'd also relinked to a different copy of the footage I had on a faster harddrive, but I don't suspect this is the cause of the issue. Shouldn't be, anyway-- I relink things all the time.

Anywho, the 'conform lock with media pool' trick worked, but as mentioned by others it was a bit annoying and time consuming to have to do with every clip

Curiously, this was an issue only with the video portion of the clips-- the scratch audio that came with it oddly was fine. Which makes no sense to me since both audio and video are from the same file captured by the same device (Blackmagic's own Pocket4k)--let alone stored in the same file path.

Same thing though. Clip with its original, unchanged name is right there in the media pool. But its instances in the timeline are 'offline'

John Carl

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 9:41 pm

2024. Same situation. Some clips are offline in the timeline but online in Media Pool. So weird.

"Conform Lock With Media Pool Clip" worked for re-linking but now the clips won't play. They are frozen.

Tried updating to the v19 beta but it still happens.

Return to DaVinci Resolve