Fairlight DeHummer

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AJKinOHIO

Fairlight DeHummer

PostSat May 18, 2024 3:05 am

Surprised there is no forum specifically for Fairlight so I hope I'm in the right spot.

This short clip will demonstrate the issue I'm having, which I thought to be humming and the dehummer the remedy but I'm not sure what's going on.

The guy actor has a buzz about his audio and the girl is crisp and clean. I think we had an issue with his mic or the equipment, but applying the dehummer to the clip is not solving the problem. Or getting anywhere near solving it which is why I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or this is a different problem and I need to be using something else.

Any help would be great, thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lZiwuKzeA65NSL1Pvj_vP7B2h_RuEkVc/view?usp=sharing
ajk
-------
www.portagelakesmedia.com

Charles Bennett

Re: Fairlight DeHummer

PostSat May 18, 2024 6:52 am

Having played the clip loud I can hear no hum. What I can hear is location atmos on the guy's audio which abruptly ceases on the cut to the girl. You could either add atmos to the girl's track to match, or if you are using Studio try Voice Isolation on the guy's track. In Resolve Studio 19 you also have the option of the Dialogue Separator.
Resolve Studio 19.0b3 build 33
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

The Amazed Eric

PostSat May 18, 2024 11:17 am

AJKinOHIO wrote:I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong

Who knows?

It sounds more like a whisper to me, of the kind you can hear in most locations indeed where similar scenes are filmed. :twisted:
I wouldn't bother listening to it with my full-range headphones.

KrunoSmithy

PostSat May 18, 2024 1:24 pm

I am not sure if we are "seeing" the same thing, because at first I was not sure what you were referring to. I put the clip in iZotope RX for spectral analysis and there its viable if that is what you meant.

Because the guy talks there is a hum pattern and just before the girl talks its cut off. You can see it here.

sshot-3849.jpg
sshot-3849.jpg (299.2 KiB) Viewed 194 times

To confirm this, I sampled the hum part and made it into ambient noise, and than rendered it over clip lengths instead of everything else, and its clearly something I can hear now, and you can see it.

sshot-3847.jpg
sshot-3847.jpg (282.69 KiB) Viewed 194 times

With iZotop RX its pretty simple clean up, but I haven't used tools in Fairlight enough to say what to do, and if you still have ht problem I can give it a try next time I open Resolve.

I just sampled the noise hum, used denoiser to remove it, to the point where its no longer an issue and girls dialog starts. Than I sampled her ambience noise and added that over the guys dialog to have them match, but not have the whole clip feel like a tomb. You can probably do something similar in fairlight I would have to check.

sshot-3850.jpg
sshot-3850.jpg (232.14 KiB) Viewed 194 times

P.S.

If you have some folly, room tone, ambience noise or music to layer on top, it probably won't be noticeable and you can mask it. To be honest, the acting in the clip is so bad, wooden and unconvincing that any other sounds would benefit to cover it up a bit. Might as well use it to your advantage if you have some music or foley you can add. Otherwise, if its just dialog, you can try to use de-noising tools in fair light or dialog isolate to remove what you can and than add something else on top to mask it. maybe some room tone or ambience. Depending on what you are going for. Even a touch of delay, reverb or something could help out to mask it, if you can't remove it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve