Will I lose my projects if I uninstall?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Shadow Roses

Will I lose my projects if I uninstall?

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 pm

I just bought the studio version of Resolve and was going to uninstall the free version, should i?

Will i lose my old projects or?

Jim Simon

Re: Will I lose my projects if I uninstall?

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 8:47 pm

On Windows, you will need to Uninstall the Free version first.

You won't lose your projects.

That said, you should always backup both your databases and active projects before doing an upgrade.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 9:01 pm

You won't lose your projects as long as you PROPERLY uninstall Resolve.

And that would be by using the Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features panel, right clicking on DaVinci Resolve and selecting Uninstall.

BTW: If you are installing a NEWER version of Resolve, you don't need to uninstall the current version first.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Mothdevil

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 12:53 pm

Hello! I've been working on projects in the free version of Resolve (18.1.4 build 9)... I recently bought a studio key from B&H. I downloaded the full version from the support page, providing the S/N, but when I install and run Resolve, it's still only launching the free version. There's no prompt to enter a license key or anything...

I'm assuming something gummed up, and I need to uninstall my free version first? However, I'm concerned about losing these projects. Since I'm a pretty green user, I don't know if this is what I should even be doing, nor even HOW to back up my projects, as prior software I've used typically allowed me to specify project file locations.

TLDR;

* Why is my free version still running after installing Studio?
* How the heck do I back up my files in case of needing a total clean slate?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 5:37 pm

If you successfully install the Studio version, there is no way the free version would launch.

Indicating that you very likely downloaded and installed the free version.

Make sure you download the version with Studio in the name. Make sure the installer file you are using has Studio in the file name.

And if the free version of 18.1.4 is now installed, if you are on Windows, you'll need to uninstall that before you can install the Studio version. In Windows, uninstall the free version by going into Windows Settings - Apps and features, right clicking on DaVinci Resolve and selecting Uninstall.
Dwaine Maggart

Mothdevil

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 6:02 pm

Thank you. I uninstalled the free version and then reinstalled from the file I already downloaded. That did the trick.

Apachxi1

PostWed Oct 04, 2023 12:12 pm

Hi,

I just uninstalled free version, just like it was posted in this thread, then installed the studio and it only sees my older projects. The new ones I was working on on this windows (I have fresh install) are gone.

What the hell? Can I recover those?

I went into C:\Users\Mirian\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects - and see all the folders are there, but Studio only displays the old ones, it doesn't display the one's I've been working on last 2-3 days?

So paid Davinci doesn't recognize projects worked on by free version? How can I make davinci see them?

RESOLVED

Make sure to download the latest version

idicblack

PostFri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

how do you back up your projects and-or databases in the case of uninstall so that they are there after the uninstall?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 22, 2024 9:12 pm

If you do a normal uninstall, it will not affect your projects.

That said, you should certainly be backing up your projects and project libraries on a regular basis.

We'd recommend that for important multi-day/week/month/year long projects, that you make a Project Export .drp at that end of each workday on the project. And keep copies of those off the main system drive.

We'd recommend project library backups at some reasonable interval. You can do that in the Project Library page, by selecting the Project Library, then the Details icon at the right end of the project library name (the i in a circle icon) then Back Up.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve