newbie question: simple synchronization of two Workstations

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

roberting

newbie question: simple synchronization of two Workstations

PostThu May 23, 2024 12:59 pm

hello forum!

I am new to DaVinci Resolve and to Video editing in general (though I worked in audio postproduction). The task I want to accomplish is to synchronize the projects my desktop computer (iMac 27" intel i7) with the MacBookPro M1.

Right now this is a hobby and I will work on either the desktop OR the notebook independently (on their local drives). From time to time/as needed I will hook them up to the same network to synchronize the projects to be able to switch the computers to follow up on the project. This synchronization does NOT have to be anywhere near realtime (i.e. could be overnight)

I do have a NAS that I could use to synchronize and/or backup shared folders, but don't know which files/folders need to be synchronized in order for the other machine to recognize the project AND all of it's associated media.

I understand that there is this Project server software, but I'm not sure if that's the right solution for me, as I will not have a permanent and performant connection between the workstations, as recommended in the server documentation.

Any help appreciated to find a simple solution! Thanks!

Uli Plank

Re: newbie question: simple synchronization of two Workstati

PostThu May 23, 2024 2:39 pm

You could sync your original clips with any sync software for the Mac, and use the BM Cloud for 5 bucks a month to keep the project synced.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Return to DaVinci Resolve