Multicam editing - using the Keyboard keypad

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Asher123

Multicam editing - using the Keyboard keypad

PostWed Mar 02, 2022 4:41 pm

Hi all,

I just did the Blackmagic tutorial on Multicam editing, where 8 videos are in the multi-sync file and the instructor selects which video to cut to but using the mouse to click on the appropriate video during playback. That works well.

However in the manual it says that you can use the keyboard keypad to select which video (of the 8 in this example) to cut to.

The problem I am having is that the 8 videos on the Davinci Multicam view are listed in a telephone order keypad (ie from top to bottom: 123, then 456, then 789), but the keyboard keypad is upside down (ie 789, then 456, then 123).

This makes it very confusing as the keypad does not directly correspond to the multicam view on the screen. For instance, if I want to cut to the top left video (camera 1), I have to click on the bottom left key on the keyboard (number 1). The same issue is with the Speed Editor.

My question: Is it possible to flip either the order on the multiview screen or on the keypad so that they directly correspond to each other? How?

Asher123

Re: Multicam editing - using the Keyboard keypad

PostTue May 14, 2024 8:36 am

Anyone have an answer for this please?

ShaheedMalik

PostTue May 14, 2024 10:28 am

No solution yet. This was reported in the feature requests previously.

Asher123

PostTue May 14, 2024 11:55 am

Thanks for letting me know.

Is there any point in submitting it as a new feature request again? It just seems like such a simple thing to rectify in their software.

Peter Cave

PostTue May 14, 2024 11:58 am

It's very simple to change the key assignment for this in the Keyboard Customisation panel. No need for a feature request. The original mapping is to emulate a vision switcher style of operation using the regular number keys.
Resolve 19.0 b3 Mac OSX 14.5 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

SkierEvans

PostTue May 14, 2024 12:23 pm

Peter Cave wrote:It's very simple to change the key assignment for this in the Keyboard Customisation panel. No need for a feature request. The original mapping is to emulate a vision switcher style of operation using the regular number keys.

That may be the case but BM is a hardware company and it would make much more sense for them to make their software align with the hardware they produce like the Speed Editor and Davinci keyboard as that is what they want the user to use with their software.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 19, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Asher123

PostTue May 14, 2024 2:40 pm

Peter Cave wrote:It's very simple to change the key assignment for this in the Keyboard Customisation panel. No need for a feature request. The original mapping is to emulate a vision switcher style of operation using the regular number keys.

Are you saying to remap 1, 2, 3 to 7, 8, 9, etc?

If so won't that cause havoc when trying to use the keypad to enter numbers elsewhere in Davinci?

Asher123

PostTue May 14, 2024 2:42 pm

SkierEvans wrote:

That may be the case but BM is a hardware company and it would make much more sense for them to make their software align with the hardware they produce like the Speed Editor and Davinci keyboard as that is what they want the user to use with their software.

Totally agree!

Jim Simon

PostTue May 14, 2024 9:49 pm

Asher123 wrote:Is there any point in submitting it as a new feature request again?
Don't do that. Instead, find the one that exists and add your vote.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Asher123

PostTue May 21, 2024 4:22 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Asher123 wrote:Is there any point in submitting it as a new feature request again?
Don't do that. Instead, find the one that exists and add your vote.

I just did a search and found that I had put in this request over 2 years ago... yet no-one added their vote to it. Maybe some people here could go to this link and add their vote please?

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=156431&p=830117&hilit=Multicam+keypad#p830117

Peter Cave

PostTue May 21, 2024 7:14 am

Asher123 wrote:

Are you saying to remap 1, 2, 3 to 7, 8, 9, etc?

If so won't that cause havoc when trying to use the keypad to enter numbers elsewhere in Davinci?

No. The mapping is for the Multicam switching assignment only. It's not a global change.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Asher123

PostThu May 23, 2024 4:04 am

Peter Cave wrote:
No. The mapping is for the Multicam switching assignment only. It's not a global change.

I'm finding it hard to find this in the keyboard customization. Can you please help direct me with more information?

I will then add the information to another post to help others where they have been putting this request for ages, and one has also purchased a separate keypad to address this.

Your help is appreciated!

Peter Cave

PostThu May 23, 2024 10:47 pm

David, the items to assign are in the main menu that has the multicam edit & switching options. The names you need to search for in the keyboard customise panel are "multicam" and/or the menu item name.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve