Any way to let fusion page use .braw settings from colour pg

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Wildthing

Any way to let fusion page use .braw settings from colour pg

PostFri May 24, 2024 3:28 am

Hi,

I'm compositing a shot .braw that was underexposed, and have been able to recover a useable image with the camera raw settings on the colour page, however when bringing and working with the image in the fusion page, without the viewer LUT on, the image is terribly dark and none of the trackers work.

The project is Davinci colour managed, and I've also tried a cineonlog conversion node followed by a colour corrector node to bring it in, and tried to get it to search the different colour channels with no luck.
Without rendering out a coloured adjusted version and working on that, is there a node I can put in to get some adjustments from the colour page before the fusion workflow?

Cheers
Apple M2 Max 96GB, UMPG2, BMPCC6kPro

shebbe

Re: Any way to let fusion page use .braw settings from colou

PostFri May 24, 2024 4:28 pm

Fusion happens before Color in the order of operations and this cannot be altered. In your case this doesn't really matter, you just need to set it up properly. Make sure disable tone mapping for fusion compositions is disabled in the project settings. This toggle is only visible when color managed is set to custom.
Now Fusion is in linear version of the timeline working space. If you've picked DWG/Intermediate in color managed (which I assume you did as that's the typical choice) Fusion is in DWG/Linear. You can now as a first node use gain to increase exposure. Regarding the viewLUT this is a mess that Resolve 19 tried to fix but still is quirky.... to view your image add a CST behind the MediaOUT node and transform from DWG/Linear to Rec.709 Gamma 2.4 with DaVinci Tonemapping enabled. Set the custom input nits on with a value of 4000. It should now match what you'd see on the color page, minus the colorgrading.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Wildthing

Re: Any way to let fusion page use .braw settings from colou

PostSat May 25, 2024 12:26 am

That’s brilliant, thank you!
I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for taking the time to write that up, it’s appreciated!
Apple M2 Max 96GB, UMPG2, BMPCC6kPro

Return to DaVinci Resolve