Slow decline of my DaVinci Mac systems

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Baz

Slow decline of my DaVinci Mac systems

PostMon May 20, 2024 3:51 am

I have noticed that over the last few years as DaVinci Resolve updates have been installed on my old Mac Pro's, they have been becoming less and less responsive.
The last usable DaVinci version that I have been using on the 2013 Macs was v17. After that it was a crash fest, although they occasionally would run v18. (the macs didn't meet the ever increasing DaVinci hardware requirements)
I switched over to a Windows 10 machine which would run v18 but I couldn't use many features due to GPU errors.

I now find myself at a crossroads with what I am to do. I need to get a new Mac (tower) that meets current DaVinci specs (and hopefully a few years into the future).

My current (defunct) Macs have Decklink Intensity 4K PCI cards installed and I would like to continue using them.

What can you recommend as a replacement Mac Pro?

Baz

Shitload of blackmagic gear dating back to the DeckLink capture card 2002!

Marc Wielage

Re: Slow decline of my DaVinci Mac systems

PostMon May 20, 2024 9:27 am

Baz wrote:I have noticed that over the last few years as DaVinci Resolve updates have been installed on my old Mac Pro's, they have been becoming less and less responsive. The last usable DaVinci version that I have been using on the 2013 Macs was v17. After that it was a crash fest, although they occasionally would run v18. (the macs didn't meet the ever increasing DaVinci hardware requirements)

If your 2013 Mac experience was good up until a point, why not just buy a 2024 Mac? The Mac Studios are very good -- the Studio Ultras, even better.

A lot of your decision is going to hinge on budget. The Mac Studio Ultras are good, but not cheap.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Uli Plank

PostMon May 20, 2024 11:04 am

@Marc
I'd suggest a Mac Studio too, but there's one problem: Baz wants to use a DeckLink card.

@Baz
The new Mac Pro mainly consists of expensive empty space. Its only advantage is a bunch of card slots, but it's not any faster than a Mac Studio in the same configuration, just far pricier.
I have not been able to test this myself, but have seen reports that an external box like the ones from Sonnet can be used with the M* Macs. You can't use an eGPU with M* processors, but other cards should work. Maybe you can verify with BM's support. Getting such a box should be a much cheaper solution than a Mac Pro, since eGPUs got pretty much out of use recently and you should be able to find an empty expansion box second-hand (or one with an outdated GPU in it).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Uli Plank

PostFri May 24, 2024 1:26 am

It seems we have a confirmation for a DeckLink in external boxes, scroll down:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=189149&start=50
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

steve oakley

PostFri May 24, 2024 5:48 am

use the decklink card in a TB3->PCI expansion case.

When I sold my intel iMac with eGPU, I kept the PCI case while selling the GPU for more than I paid for it 2 years after buying it :) I put the Decklink card into the case and it works fine. use it for zoom feeds to input camera SDI in, or feed screens with mac mini when I need 3 clean feeds and it only does 2 ;) getting some great after the fact use out of the decklink 4K I though was worthless because it wouldn't sell on ebay :) :)
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

David Chai

PostFri May 24, 2024 3:22 pm

I use the Decklink Mini Monitor 4K in a OWC Helios 3S pcie Thunderbolt 3 expansion chassis and it works great. Works out of the box and is stable. The Helios is $250. Comes with a thunderbolt cable.

A Mac Studio M2 Max with 64GB, 38GPU core, 1TB SSD and is really awesome. Ultra is faster, but more $$$$.

Baz

PostTue May 28, 2024 12:44 am

Thanks for all your inputs.
I think I may settle on an Apple Mac Pro Tower with M2 Ultra 60 Core GPU, 64GB RAM & 1TB SSD.
It should basically be a card swap.
Baz

Shitload of blackmagic gear dating back to the DeckLink capture card 2002!

Marc Wielage

PostTue May 28, 2024 3:12 am

Baz wrote:Thanks for all your inputs. I think I may settle on an Apple Mac Pro Tower with M2 Ultra 60 Core GPU, 64GB RAM & 1TB SSD. It should basically be a card swap.

That would be a great system -- I think you'll find it to be a huge improvement over your old system.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve