Missing Projects after moving files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Wunsch Coaching

Missing Projects after moving files

PostFri May 24, 2024 8:12 am

Hello everyone!

I moved accidentally yesterday the folder "Resolve Disk Database" from my mac to an external drive.
After opening my projects I got an error that the database couldn't connect. So I moved the files back from my external backup.

After opening Resolve again, the actual projects are missing - a big timeline with a lot of cutting and voiceover recordings. Older projects are still there.

I searched the whole mac for another database, but the one from the external drive looks like the actual file.

Maybe I overwrote the newer database folder on my external backup with the the older one from my mac.

I found in the folder movies -> Resolve Project Backups -> some random hashvalues -> timeline.timestamp-files and under movies -> CacheClip -> some random hashvalues -> info.txt

In the info.txt, if I open it with TextEdit, I can read my actual project name which is missing in the database.

So my question now... 1) how is that even possible and 2) is there an option to restore the timeline? I tried to rename the timeline.timestamp in *.dlr and import it in a new project, but it comes an error message, that it is impossible to import. My footage is still there.

Please help me to restore my actual projects... It tooks a lot of time to create it :'(

My setup:
- MacBook Air, Apple Silicon M2, Sonoma 14.2.1
- DaVinci Resolve (free version) 18.6.4 Build 6

Return to DaVinci Resolve