record from internal soundcard?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Helmutwr

record from internal soundcard?

PostFri May 08, 2020 12:34 pm

I've studied the manual but could not figure it out :roll: - what do I need to do (or what settings do I need) if I want to record sound from the computer's internal sound card? I supose this needs to be done in the Fairlight tab but could not get it working.

Thanks

Jim Simon

Re: record from internal soundcard?

PostFri May 08, 2020 12:46 pm

I don't think you can. At least, not without connecting a mic up to the mic input. But computer sounds and such, not those.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostFri May 08, 2020 5:20 pm

You can indeed record into Fairlight from your internal sound card. If you want to record an external microphone or an external source such as a cd, you would need an audio interface as computer soundcard physical inputs are notoriously noisy.
Like me you may have a Realtek soundcard.

If you wish to record the audio say from Windows Media Player do the following.
Check your Windows audio is set up correctly and that your soundcard is seen by Resolve.
In the Fairlight page create a new audio track then click on the top of the fader where it says "No Input".
Select input from the drop down menu and patch the Inputs to the track. In my pic I am using Audio 2.
When you now click on R on the track to arm it you will see and hear the incoming audio.

Right, now the downside. To be able to see both Resolve and whatever your audio is coming from you really need two monitors as when you click on Resolve the other programmes screen will disappear behind it.
Attachments
Win IO settings.jpg
Win IO settings.jpg (365.05 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
INPUT 1.jpg
INPUT 1.jpg (46.07 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
INPUT 2.jpg
INPUT 2.jpg (148.75 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b3 build 33
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Helmutwr

PostSat May 09, 2020 9:56 am

Thank you so much - made my day. :D

Hataki

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 2:40 am

I remember when I needed to do a quality programming assignment on just this software. But I did not know how best to write about it and do the task in a short time. Luckily here I found do my programming assignment and I am very grateful to them for their help in this matter. I hope that you will also find it as useful as possible.

BerlinerTourGuide

PostFri May 24, 2024 3:27 pm

hi charles! you wrote: "Check your Windows audio is set up correctly and that your soundcard is seen by Resolve." well, for you tech-freaks this is self-understanding. for normal mortals it's a mystery... how do I check if resolve sees what's going on on my realtek soundcard resp. the sound that is coming over my loudspeakers? I can choose the two loudspeakers as source and patch them to a track, but the meters do not react when I click "R" despite music is playing... would be grateful for help! (with soundbooth such recordings were a child's play...) greetings! hilmar

BerlinerTourGuide

PostFri May 24, 2024 3:37 pm

PS: I linked the soundstream to my loudspeakers as source via "source > monitor out"; the two loudspeakers popped up and could be patched to the "destination".

Cary Knoop

PostFri May 24, 2024 3:48 pm

For more flexibility, you can use the virtual inputs from VoiceMeeter.

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

Charles Bennett

PostFri May 24, 2024 9:41 pm

The audio not getting to the meters and tracks is a permissions problem. In the Windows Start Menu click on Settings, then Privacy. Click on Microphone and turn on "Allow apps to access your microphone". Do the same for "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone". The audio going into Resolve should now work.
Resolve Studio 19.0b3 build 33
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve