Davinci Resolve High Ram Usage Until Crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

md_films_productions

Davinci Resolve High Ram Usage Until Crashes

PostMon May 13, 2024 7:37 pm

Hi,
so after an upgrade to a ''non-f'' CPU, my a7SIII footage runs smooth on my 1080p 25p timeline which is great. There is another problem though. After working with H265 100fps footage for about 20 minutes, my RAM fills up (entirely, from my 64GB it fills around 50GB for itself). I upgraded to Resolve 18.6 hoping that would somehow fix the issue I had on a previous version (didn't help). So the issue shows as a lag (5-10 seconds) due to full RAM and if I keep going working with the footage, Resolve just crashes eventually. Also the RAM usage doesn't seem to lower over time if I keep the project still. The GPU memory sits at around 5-6GB just chillin, no big changes over time there. The UHD770 (Intel integrated) GPU Shared Memory jumps around quite a lot since it is being used for the timeline playback.
Previously I had an ''f'' CPU so the playback was super laggy but there was no RAM filling up issue.

PC specs:
i7-12700k
Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4
64GB DDR4 3600MHz
RTX 3070 8GB (both NVIDIA adn Intel Quick Sync ON)

For Preferences Setting: Limit Resolve Memory usage to: 32GB

Should I upgrade to even more RAM or...? Am I missing something? In case you would need more info (some Setting etc.) I will respond ASAP.

Thank you for any help, I've been putting this aside for way too long now hoping some new update would finally fix this...

Nick2021

Re: Davinci Resolve High RAM Usage Until Crashes

PostMon May 13, 2024 7:59 pm

You can reduce the amount of memory the IGPU has access to. I think in the bios. Default is half of system memory

But my guess is something else is happening. Limiting the IGPU memory will just delay the problem.

md_films_productions

PostTue May 14, 2024 6:50 pm

Thanks for the tip, that might actually be a solution to the problem.
I tried my best to find a setting to reduce the amount of memory the IGPU has access to to no avail. Eventually found out that you are not able to change that with my motherboard model (in the BIOS nor anyhow else, I tried changing stuff in regedit too).
Only other ''solution'' is to buy some more RAM to make it 128GB and see id that ''fixes'' the issue.

Thank you though. Anyone else has a clue what might be causing this to happen?

Noerde

PostTue May 14, 2024 7:07 pm

md_films_productions wrote:Anyone else has a clue what might be causing this to happen?

In general if there's memory available, it's better to use it. You can limit how much memory Resolve uses in preferences.But there might be a memory leak, maybe a debug log would point the devs to its tail.

RCModelReviews

PostTue May 14, 2024 8:49 pm

I had that problem way back with version 14 of Resolve and couldn't figure it out so I disabled the iGPU and it went away.

If you're using 10-bit material that relies on the iGPU then you may not want to do that though.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

beaurosario

PostMon May 20, 2024 2:29 pm

Also having this issue a lot lately, with 18.6 and Beta 19, DaVinci often leaking then crashing at 100GB or so. Anyone with suggestions for a mac? (Macbook Pro M1 Max, 64GB RAM)
MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64GB Ram, 2TB Storage, Sonoma 14.5

md_films_productions

PostFri May 24, 2024 6:33 pm

So I finally got to adding more RAM into the system to see if that fixes anything. I added another 32GB so the total amount was 96GB RAM - 48GB was allocated to IGPU. Nothing changed, Resolve took 80GB in total for itself (slowly but steady got there) and the crazy stutters started to happen again. IGPU shared memory was jumping again just like the last time around 15-25GB. So no, adding more RAM didn't solve anything.
I also tried to set ''Limit Resolve Memory usage to:'' 15GB in the Preferences setting, also with this higher RAM. It looks like it just simply bypasses that setting for some reason.
I am very happy with the performance of the IGPU with the 10bit a7SIII files, that's why I upgraded from an ''f'' CPU to a ''non-f'' (even now my i7-12700k doesn't have nearly enough power to run the timeline smoothly when I disable the IGPU). It's just the RAM usage problem that happens after working for about an hour on a project (even 1080p timeline as I mentioned before).
I also though about getting a Macbook or a Mac Mini to handle this all so I wouldn't have to deal with issues like these - now I'm very surprised that this can happen on a Mac as well! :shock: (and honestly kind of relieved at the same time since I don't like Macs at all :D )
I am about to reinstall Resolve as another step - I just didn't do that yet since I have some important stuff I need to finish before trying anything else.
Thanks for your feedback!

md_films_productions

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 9:13 pm

Right so I tried to reinstall Resolve to no avail. The high RAM usage is still there after about 20 minutes of working with the project so it makes the whole editing process almost impossible. I'm switching back to proxy generation. The only other option at this point really is to switch to another software which would be pretty painful for me since I really don't want to learn new stuff and procedures. Shame. Hopefully this nonsense gets fixed sometime in the future...

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 07, 2024 2:12 am

Try disabling the Intel GPU and just use the RTX 3070
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

md_films_productions

PostFri Jun 07, 2024 2:22 pm

Well sure, disabling the Intel GPU would solve this particular problem, but it's MUCH worse performance-wise (crazy continuous stutters at playback, 100% CPU usage... I don't believe 14th gen i7/i9 would be that much better at playback than my 12th gen i7). That's exactly what I tried to explain in my first post - I got the ''non-f'' version of Intel chip so I could get smooth playback using the Intel GPU. That works for about 20 minutes, then I want to pull my hair out of my head trying to cope with the stutters getting any work done.

Jim Simon

Re: Davinci Resolve High Ram Usage Until Crashes

PostSun Jun 09, 2024 7:04 pm

You might consider applying an old Rule-of-Thumb I found very workable.

If you shoot in H.265/5, edit with Proxies.
If you don't want to use Proxies, don't shoot H.264/5.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

Re: Davinci Resolve High Ram Usage Until Crashes

PostMon Jun 10, 2024 12:40 am

The iGPU should still work for GOP-decode, even if not used for processing by DR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Return to DaVinci Resolve