Best color grading workflow for my use case

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bluepr0

Best color grading workflow for my use case

PostTue May 14, 2024 7:27 pm

Hello everyone!

Up until I decided to ask here, I have been color grading my videos as follows:

1. I would go to the Color page.
2. Select one clip, do the node grading including some plugins I use like Scatter.
3. Manually select all the clips and paste the node from the previous clip.

I couldn't find a nice way to select only the clips because sometimes I would have screen recordings from my Mac or my phone, or a background video for the titles, or even adjust layers. All is showing up there, but I only want to apply the color grading to the clips I recorded with my camera.

What do you think would be the ideal way to have one specific place to color grade only the camera clips?

Thanks for any insights (using DR19 beta 2).

Jim Simon

Re: Best color grading workflow for my use case

PostTue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm

Have you had a chance to do any of the BMD training yet?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marek2189

PostWed May 15, 2024 12:08 am

bluepr0 wrote:What do you think would be the ideal way to have one specific place to color grade only the camera clips?

I am sure grouping is what you are looking for. U can sort, view your vids and grade on a group level. Very convenient. Search at YouTube "Davinci resolve group clips".

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 15, 2024 12:47 am

bluepr0 wrote:I couldn't find a nice way to select only the clips because sometimes I would have screen recordings from my Mac or my phone, or a background video for the titles, or even adjust layers. All is showing up there, but I only want to apply the color grading to the clips I recorded with my camera.

What if you placed all of your camera recording clips on a specific video track, say, Track #4? Turn off all the other tracks, and now on the Color page, you'll just see your camera videos, one right after the other. Color-correct one, and now apply that color to ALL the clips in the timeline (just the camera clips).

Now you'll at least have a starting point for where they need to go. Turn the rest of the tracks back on, and color correct the show in sequence so it looks consistent and makes sense.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

bluepr0

PostFri May 24, 2024 7:00 pm

Sorry for my late reply, and thank you all for your suggestions. I was hospitalized and was out for a while. Now I'm back to business.

Return to DaVinci Resolve