Resolve crashing on brand new PC mostly in color grading.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jgarrettcorbin

Resolve crashing on brand new PC mostly in color grading.

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 7:47 pm

Hello community. I need some help. I recently built a PC for a friend who is a video editor that uses Resolve. The only problem is that it crashes constantly. Usually the crash happens in the color grading panel.

The worst part for me is that the PC is now located 2 states away and any troubleshooting I can do would be over AnyDesk, and since I built the computer, it is now my problem even though the crashing is isolated to Resolve. I did all of the proper stress testing before declaring it a successful build, but since I'm not a Resolve user myself, I wasn't able to fully test it.

The specs are:

Z790 motherboard
i7-12700K cpu - performance settings in bios, but no extensive overclocking.
wd black 4tb M.2 ssd
32GB RAM - using XMP in bios
AMD RX 7800 XT 16GB GPU
750W power supply

My first reaction was that it was the VRAM issue, but everything is up to date and these crashes don't appear to be GPU related. VRAM also doesn't fill up. I've pulled logs 3 different times and they all look kind of similar. I don't really know how to interpret them, so If any experts can tell me what these mean, I would be very grateful.

P.S. I had to remove some stuff from the log archive to meet the 1MB limit. Let me know if you need anything else.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20240106-005401 4.zip
(1018.46 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

jgarrettcorbin

Re: Resolve crashing on brand new PC mostly in color grading

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 9:13 pm

Are the logs I provided okay? Any other info needed?

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 4:59 pm

In situations like this, we just have to wait until Staff gets around to viewing the info.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

jgarrettcorbin

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 2:03 am

If it helps at all, Every single time the crash happens, the log ends with "No reply received from file system, assume successfully deleted folder".

I know this doesn't necessarily mean it's a disk I/O issue, but does it seem likely?

jgarrettcorbin

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 5:31 am

I guess the next step is to have them send the PC back, recoup the money as best I can, tell them to go get some off the shelf Lenovo, and never do this for anyone ever again. At least unstable video editing software won't be my problem anymore.

Lesson learned.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 1:59 pm

Does it still crash if XMP is disabled?

Also, search the forum for AMD driver issues. There have been many reports about issues that were caused by certain versions of the AMD GPU drivers.

Andy Mees

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 3:29 pm

jgarrettcorbin wrote:performance settings in bios, but no extensive overclocking.

If for no other reason than first line troubleshooting, I would make sure that any and all overclocking is turned off... stock settings only, then verify if the problem persists.

jgarrettcorbin wrote:P.S. I had to remove some stuff from the log archive to meet the 1MB limit. Let me know if you need anything else.
Standard / recommended practice is to upload the full logs + detailed system specification files (DxDiag > Save All Information + Windows System Information > Save NFO) to a third party file sharing site, then post the link to those uploads in the thread. Note : as a new forum member, you may need to add spaces into the links (e.g. my. dropbox.com) to trick the forum software into letting you post an external link.

Charles Bennett

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 3:40 pm

This is how to post Log and NFO files.
Attachments
Log and NFO Information.JPG
Log and NFO Information.JPG (46.64 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
Last edited by Charles Bennett on Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 19.0b3 build 33
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

jgarrettcorbin

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 8:03 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Does it still crash if XMP is disabled?

Also, search the forum for AMD driver issues. There have been many reports about issues that were caused by certain versions of the AMD GPU drivers.

Hey Roger. Thanks for the response. I instructed them to reset the bios because I had this suspicion as well. It didn't make a difference unfortunately.

I was aware of the AMD driver issues that were a major problem last year. Apparently the VRAM issue was solved. I tried some older AMD drivers and didn't get any different results. What's weird is that the driver doesn't crash, resolve just quits.

jgarrettcorbin

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 8:09 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
jgarrettcorbin wrote:performance settings in bios, but no extensive overclocking.

If for no other reason than first line troubleshooting, I would make sure that any and all overclocking is turned off... stock settings only, then verify if the problem persists.

jgarrettcorbin wrote:P.S. I had to remove some stuff from the log archive to meet the 1MB limit. Let me know if you need anything else.
Standard / recommended practice is to upload the full logs + detailed system specification files (DxDiag > Save All Information + Windows System Information > Save NFO) to a third party file sharing site, then post the link to those uploads in the thread. Note : as a new forum member, you may need to add spaces into the links (e.g. my. dropbox.com) to trick the forum software into letting you post an external link.

Thanks. I'll try to get this all together today. They actually have a license for Resolve, so they are contacting support as well.

Nick2021

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 8:18 pm

jgarrettcorbin wrote:If it helps at all, Every single time the crash happens, the log ends with "No reply received from file system, assume successfully deleted folder".

I know this doesn't necessarily mean it's a disk I/O issue, but does it seem likely?

Do you have any plugins? Or is this a stock Resolve by itself?

jgarrettcorbin

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 8:21 pm

Nick2021 wrote:
jgarrettcorbin wrote:If it helps at all, Every single time the crash happens, the log ends with "No reply received from file system, assume successfully deleted folder".

Do you have any plugins? Or is this a stock Resolve by itself?

I saw that they had 3 audio plugins (VST) installed. I never tried to disable them when I was remoting in. Is that something I should try? I didn't see any video plugins. I can get more information if there is something you think I should probe them about.

Nick2021

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 pm

See if just a simple install works. If it still crashes you know it's either Resolve or the HW.

Always best to troubleshoot the basic setup.

jgarrettcorbin

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 8:30 pm

Nick2021 wrote:See if just a simple install works. If it still crashes you know it's either Resolve or the HW.

Always best to troubleshoot the basic setup.

I passed the info along. We will disable everything and see what happens. They are a pretty good editor, but not much for technical computer stuff, so they haven't done much to the OS (clean Windows 11 install) or resolve.

Steve Alexander

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 4:04 am

Read the FAQ - tells you how to generate logs and an NFO file and place them on a file share site. Then provide a link here.

Also - good chance it’s your AMD GPU driver.
aka Barkinmadd
Resolve Studio 19.0b3 | Fusion Studio 19.0b3 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.5

jgarrettcorbin

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 4:10 am

Steve Alexander wrote:Read the FAQ - tells you how to generate logs and an NFO file and place them on a file share site. Then provide a link here.

Also - good chance it’s your AMD GPU driver.

I'll get that done as soon as I can get back on their computer. Weird thing is that I've been taking with folks on the thread all day and all of the posts are gone.

The AMD driver is fully up to date.

Nick2021

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 5:36 am

It seems most of yesterday's messages have disappeared. Not just this thread. Drive crash? Something failed.

Dermot Shane

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 7:30 am

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=196876
We have had a database issue that has required restoration from backup.

As a result around 200 posts entered between 2024-02-19 09:38 and 2024-02-20 00:43 UTC are currently unavailable.

We will do our best to recover them, but it will take some time.

Thank you for your understanding,
Martin.

jgarrettcorbin

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 7:55 am

Dermot Shane wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=196876
We have had a database issue that has required restoration from backup.

As a result around 200 posts entered between 2024-02-19 09:38 and 2024-02-20 00:43 UTC are currently unavailable.

We will do our best to recover them, but it will take some time.

Thank you for your understanding,
Martin.

As someone who has a business that relies on a database to function. The pain is real.

k0zm0sh

PostSat May 11, 2024 7:08 am

Had this exact same problem with a brand new AMD PC build. Radeon RX 7900 XTX. Davinci was crashing every time I opened the colour grading tab.

I had changed the mode to "HYPR-RX" whilst doing some gaming. As someone mentioned above, I changed the setting back to default and it has not crashed since. Fingers crossed, hopefully can help someone else out there.

Teakato

PostTue May 21, 2024 9:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem. It occurs very sporadically, but DR often crashes when I either switch to the Color Correction tab or make any adjustments there, such as exposure or white balance. Rendering and all other tabs don't seem to cause any problems.

The program also often crashes again as soon as I try to open it. It's really hard to work consistently at the moment.... :oops: :twisted:

I switched to an AMD card (Saphire 7800XT Nitro+) a couple weeks ago, before that I had an NVIDIA card and wasn't aware of the problem.

I could already see that it seems to be the “atio6axx.dll” that keeps causing problems.

The crash report shows that the crash occurred within the atio6axx.dll module at the address atio6axx+33fda9. This indicates that the problem is indeed related to the AMD graphics driver. As far as i read that correct in other forums this is related to OpenGL

My system is always up to date with the GPU/Cipset drivers, Windows updates, UEFI etc..

I switched to the recommended drivers for the GPU and went back from 19 B2 Studio to DR 18.6.6. Studio

I also deleted all caches and temporary files on my computer...

Greetings

Ashley Thomas

PostSat May 25, 2024 10:06 pm

Teakato wrote:Hi everyone,

I have the same problem. It occurs very sporadically, but DR often crashes when I either switch to the Color Correction tab or make any adjustments there, such as exposure or white balance. Rendering and all other tabs don't seem to cause any problems.
I experienced crashes most every time I was going from Edit to Color page, or if making it to the Color page, upon first usage of a dial, such as the Gain dial on the Color page.

The problem went completely away, I have not seen it for a week now (and it was happening all the time) since toggling dual display mode, and/or changing which display was the primary for DR.

Details are here if interested: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=190176&start=50#p1048067

Teakato

PostSun May 26, 2024 4:36 pm

Thanks for the tip. I tried it out straight away. It seemed to help at first... unfortunately DR crashed in the Color Tab and crashes again when I try to open DR.

It's really strange because sometimes it works for a long time without any problems and I can grade. I have also installed beta 3 in the hope that it will be a little better there...

Return to DaVinci Resolve