Is there a way to add values (not copy)? - Color page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

marinacgmb

Is there a way to add values (not copy)? - Color page

PostSun May 26, 2024 4:03 pm

Hi all!

I'm working on a show that is going trough some changes in grading.
I need to change the same node in multiple clips lowering contrast, changing pivot and also gamma.
I know the function to ripple to selected clips (and use a fixed node tree), and this is what I was intending to use. However, I don't know how to specify these exact parameters/values to be changed. I usually use ripple mode basically like a batch copy paste, but now I want to keep the existing values and just add the units changed.
What is the most efficient way to achieve that?

Thanks!

shebbe

Re: Is there a way to add values (not copy)? - Color page

PostSun May 26, 2024 7:09 pm

There is no function to do that. The best approach to adding change for multiple clips is to do it on a node that only contains those changes and ripple that instead. A very common practice for colorists when director/creative/client feedback comes in. In my fixed node tree I have the last couple nodes reserved for such things like many others do using fixed node setups.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

marinacgmb

PostSun May 26, 2024 8:41 pm

shebbe wrote:In my fixed node tree I have the last couple nodes reserved for such things like many others do using fixed node setups.

Thanks for your reply. I also do that, it has helped me a lot. However this time there were many rounds of changes and I ran out of trim nodes.
I would love the ability to do a "special paste", that instead of pasting the contents of a node and erasing the previous content would combine the two contents. I think this could help a lot with keeping the node tree clean and simple.

shebbe

PostSun May 26, 2024 10:44 pm

Well, if you don't care about each change being a unique node that can be toggled on and off only one or two trim nodes should be enough. If subsequent changes happen those can be made on the same trim nodes because in theory all those trim nodes will have the same amount of adjustments on them. At least within a set of clips/scene.

But I understand where your idea comes from. Although I'd rather have a mechanic where you can temporarily link same node numbers of a few clips together and any change made then will be added/subtracted from current values. Then jump out of that mode again. I think such a feature would be very intuitive.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Return to DaVinci Resolve