Separately editing one color curve on Curves-custom page.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

vstrglv

Separately editing one color curve on Curves-custom page.

PostMon May 27, 2024 7:35 am

Hi, everybody!
I'd like edit one color curve on Color/Curves-custom page. But if I change something in red curve there are a small changes in green and blue curves. Is it possible to edit only one color without editing another color?

Mike Manus

Re: Separately editing one color curve on Curves-custom page

PostMon May 27, 2024 9:53 am

Change the luminance mix setting from 100 to 0. This turns off the Y channel of BMs YRGB system. It can be found in the lower right corner of the primaries palette.

vstrglv

PostMon May 27, 2024 10:45 am

Mike Manus wrote:Change the luminance mix setting from 100 to 0. This turns off the Y channel of BMs YRGB system. It can be found in the lower right corner of the primaries palette.

Thank you! Already tried this. Do not work. DR 19 beta 3

Jim Simon

PostMon May 27, 2024 2:52 pm

Luma Mix reduces how much other channels are affected, but it doesn't entirely eliminate it.

Should it? Or is this a beta bug?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

PostMon May 27, 2024 3:00 pm

would this work for you ? I tried it once and using levels ( lift gamma gain) and saturation, etc. I was able to affect the rgb colors separately.

vstrglv

PostMon May 27, 2024 4:06 pm

"would this work for you ? I tried it once and using levels ( lift gamma gain) and saturation, etc. I was able to affect the rgb colors separately."
Thank you! I know about this.

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

PostMon May 27, 2024 5:37 pm

another thing you probably already know about is turning on log. when you visualize rgb as roman arches that overlap each other, and then turn on log the arches overlap each other much less.... meaning the influence of one color effects the other color much less....

vstrglv

PostMon May 27, 2024 6:17 pm

Thank you! Yes, I've tried this already.

Peter Cave

PostTue May 28, 2024 6:51 am

vstrglv wrote:
Mike Manus wrote:Change the luminance mix setting from 100 to 0. This turns off the Y channel of BMs YRGB system. It can be found in the lower right corner of the primaries palette.

This works for me. If you enable the Parade scopes you will see that the Individual curve adjustment will no longer affect the other channels. Of course the Y channel will change as it is a sum of the other channels.

What are your colour management settings? This will affect the RGB channel behaviour too!
Resolve 19.0 b3 Mac OSX 14.5 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

vstrglv

Mike Manus

PostTue May 28, 2024 10:20 am

Peter Cave wrote:
vstrglv wrote:

This works for me. If you enable the Parade scopes you will see that the Individual curve adjustment will no longer affect the other channels. Of course the Y channel will change as it is a sum of the other channels.

What are your colour management settings? This will affect the RGB channel behaviour too!

This works for me in 18.6 windows. Perhaps you have nodes in the chain after the curves that cause the other channels to become affected when there is a change,

I didn't mean the y channel wouldn't change. I mean it turns off the ability to adjust the y channel. Resolve works in a yrgb system which is why a change to one color channel changes the others. Turning the luminance mix setting to 0 turns those primary adjustments to rgb only.

vstrglv

PostTue May 28, 2024 10:52 am

Mike Manus wrote:This works for me in 18.6 windows. Perhaps you have nodes in the chain after the curves that cause the other channels to become affected when there is a change,

I didn't mean the y channel wouldn't change. I mean it turns off the ability to adjust the y channel. Resolve works in a yrgb system which is why a change to one color channel changes the others. Turning the luminance mix setting to 0 turns those primary adjustments to rgb only.

I use only one node.

vstrglv

PostTue May 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Does not work in DR 18.6 in my case.

Peter Cave

PostTue May 28, 2024 11:49 pm

vstrglv wrote:Does not work in DR 18.6 in my case.

It is likely that you have a setting somewhere causing this problem. I have never seen this issue in many years of using Resolve.

Here's a video showing it working on R19b3.

Resolve 19.0 b3 Mac OSX 14.5 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

vstrglv

PostWed May 29, 2024 7:47 am

Peter Cave wrote:Here's a video showing it working on R19b3.

Jim Simon wrote:Luma Mix reduces how much other channels are affected, but it doesn't entirely eliminate it.

Thank you very much to all! I understand at last.

Return to DaVinci Resolve