Trimming Shortcuts

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BrianMarcW

Trimming Shortcuts

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 2:45 pm

I am coming from Avid for editing. One of my favorite features are they keyboard shortcuts.

Does DaVinci Resolve have an equivalent to JKL trimming?

In Avid, I have shortcuts to select the A, B, or AB sides of the edit point (using the (;) key to toggle/cycle through trim sides).

+ J to trim the A side backwards (ripple or overwrite)
+ L to trim the B side forwards (ripple or overwrite)
+ Rolling edit the AB edit point left (J) or right (L).

I can do an entire trim using my right hand.

I know I can trim one frame at a time using (,) and (.) keys, and that I can hold them down to "play" the trim in either direction. I am also aware of the Extend Edit shortcut.

I am aware of the shortcuts of rippling the Top & Tail to play head shortcuts. I am trying to have something more nuanced. A trim that can happen at various speeds, like JKL.

Additionally, is there a way to insert a gap/filler after making a cut to create space?

csx333

Re: Trimming Shortcuts

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 10:38 pm

BrianMarcW wrote:In Avid, I have shortcuts to select the A, B, or AB sides of the edit point (using the (;) key to toggle/cycle through trim sides).

Use U to cycle through the "Edit Point Types".
BrianMarcW wrote:Additionally, is there a way to insert a gap/filler after making a cut to create space?

Select the clip(s) after the cut, type e.g. 200+ and press Enter.

Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Davinci Resolve Studio 19.0B33
Linux Ubuntu Studio 24.04

Return to DaVinci Resolve