Urgent Assistance Needed: Data Recovery for DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

leeathrun

Urgent Assistance Needed: Data Recovery for DaVinci Resolve

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 11:52 am

I use DaVinci Resolve 18.6 to edit videos, but the hard drive where I stored the project has completely failed, resulting in the loss of project data. However, I have timeline backups in the folder C:\Users\leeathrun\Videos\Resolve Project Backups\c8be8deb-47a8-4bff-9d22-3e925a0df067 on my computer, with filenames like Timeline.20240610213603. How can I use this file to restore my timeline?

This editing project is very important to me. Please find a solution as soon as possible. I am eagerly awaiting your reply.

Jim Simon

Re: Urgent Assistance Needed: Data Recovery for DaVinci Reso

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 2:11 pm

If you right click on the timeline in the bin, there is the option to Restore Timeline Backup.

This requires you to open the project, however. I don't know how to do it from outside the project.

You have no Project or Library backups on a separate drive?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

leeathrun

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 2:37 pm

"I don't have any other backups, and without the project files, I can't directly restore the timeline. It might require some special techniques to resolve this. Does anyone have any ideas?"

Jim Simon wrote:If you right click on the timeline in the bin, there is the option to Restore Timeline Backup.

This requires you to open the project, however. I don't know how to do it from outside the project.

You have no Project or Library backups on a separate drive?

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 3:06 pm

The only idea I have at this point is...start over.

And make backups! ;) (Ideally two of them, with one being off the system - a thumb drive, SD card, Dropbox, One Drive, Google Drive, etc.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 3:10 pm

And from now on, make a .drp or .drt export to such a physically separate storage at least once a day.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Christopher Osborn

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 3:42 pm

Hang on a moment - all hope isn't lost quite yet.

Have you looked in your 'Live Save/Project backups' location yet? On my system I set the "Preferences > User > Project Save and Load > Backup location" to another drive on my system. (I have it directed to a folder I set up on my F: drive)

Even if it wasn't sent to another drive, you may be able to recover that folder from your C: drive if it's in a different place from your project library.
MacMini 2018 Mojave (i7 8700B, 64GB, RX580 - Mantiz Saturn II eGPU)
MacMini 2020 Monterey (M1 16GB)
Windows 10 (i7 6950X, 128GB, RTX 3080ti)
Intensity Pro 4K / Desktop Video 12.3
An Avid editor hoping for a better way...

Christopher Osborn

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 4:16 pm

So I just did a quick double-check to see if you can transplant a recovered backup to another location and it worked. I am not sure which drive of yours is lost, but if you have an intact "Backup Location" you may be able to pull this off. Make sure your "Settings > User > Project Save and Load > Backup location" is pointing to a valid backup spot. (Which it sounds like you have since you posted the path: C:\Users\leeathrun\Videos\Resolve Project Backups\c8be8deb..." in your OP)

Go to the Project Manager and right click to open the "Other Project Backups..."
If you have never done this or it's been a while it might take a few minutes and Windows will tell you that the Application is frozen. Have faith and let it process.

From the list look through it and see if you have any project you can recover.

In that recovered project, now click a timeline in the "Media Pool" page and see if you can recover a recent Timeline.

This is where things get more squiggly.
You may or may not be able to shift a backup folder of just the "Timeline.98734598734" files to a working project backup folder IF it is the same project... Not sure if that will work, but it's worth a go.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 6:36 pm

Resolve 18 timeline backups are not usable without the project that created them.

This has been improved in Resolve 19, so that timeline backups can be recovered without the original project.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Christopher Osborn

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 9:06 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:This has been improved in Resolve 19, so that timeline backups can be recovered without the original project.

Woah - I'd like to test that. How do I set that up?

leeathrun

PostWed Jun 12, 2024 12:27 am

If I use DaVinci Resolve 19, can I use the timeline backups generated by DaVinci Resolve 18.6 to restore the timeline?

A screenshot of the software shows my backup settings.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Resolve 18 timeline backups are not usable without the project that created them.

This has been improved in Resolve 19, so that timeline backups can be recovered without the original project.
Attachments
765b4691929388c31c9c29533c1a369.png
765b4691929388c31c9c29533c1a369.png (100.46 KiB) Viewed 520 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 12, 2024 1:48 am

Sorry, my misunderstanding of the new 19 feature. Which is listed as:

"Support for restoring timeline backups from deleted timelines."

And indeed that's exactly what it does. If you delete a timeline in a project, and you had timeline backups enabled, you can click the 3 dot menu on the Media Pool widget on the Edit page, and you'll see a "Deleted Timeline Backups" menu. If you have deleted any timelines, you'll see them listed there. You can select the desired deleted timeline, and see any timeline backups available for that timeline.

However, this does NOT help you if the project itself has gone away for some reason.
Dwaine Maggart

leeathrun

PostWed Jun 12, 2024 3:06 am

I know that by changing the live backup file of a project to Project.db, the system can recognize and open it as a project. Can the timeline backup be similarly modified, by changing some data, to make DaVinci Resolve 19 recognize it as a timeline backup file from another project, in order to restore the timeline?

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Sorry, my misunderstanding of the new 19 feature. Which is listed as:

"Support for restoring timeline backups from deleted timelines."

And indeed that's exactly what it does. If you delete a timeline in a project, and you had timeline backups enabled, you can click the 3 dot menu on the Media Pool widget on the Edit page, and you'll see a "Deleted Timeline Backups" menu. If you have deleted any timelines, you'll see them listed there. You can select the desired deleted timeline, and see any timeline backups available for that timeline.

However, this does NOT help you if the project itself has gone away for some reason.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 12, 2024 4:13 am

No, it cannot. Totally different format of file.
Dwaine Maggart

leeathrun

PostWed Jun 12, 2024 2:20 pm

I have significant doubts about the timeline backup feature you designed. The feature is labeled as "timeline backup," yet if the project file is lost, you cannot restore the timeline. Why not call it "timeline history" instead? Isn't it strange to have a backup feature that cannot actually restore anything?

Furthermore, when installing the software, the project backup feature is not selected by default, even though it is available. Now I have timeline backup files, and you simply say that without the project, the timeline cannot be restored. Is this a responsible answer from a company?

Does the timeline backup file contain the complete timeline information? If it does, wouldn't it be possible to restore the timeline by making another project recognize it as a timeline backup for that project? This project is very important to me, so I hope you can answer as soon as possible.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 12, 2024 2:25 pm

You have to right click on the timeline in the bin to access the backups, so I don't think a new project would help.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

apfilm

PostSun Jun 16, 2024 10:04 am

I have had a nearby similar problem. The Projectfile was not backuped for any reason.
I dont know why... even the auto-backup was set on every 2 minutes...
(nearby like live-backup - but if one backup messes up, you have few other backups, that are only a few minutes older)

and normaly it should save a new version, when you start the rendering.
but it did not..

As I tried to start a project today (that should have been saved yesterday),
the last saved version wasn't there.
Only earlier version. (in my case: yesterday 11am)

but for any reason , instead of the project, it did backups of the timeline of later versions. (yesterday 6pm)

(is this depending from the fact, that I created a new timeline with other settings than the project?)

however, I tried the same like the topic-creator, by rename the timelinebackup-file in *.drt and imported it as a new timeline -> it didn't work.

then I reopened the older project-version of yesterday morning, clicked on the timeline, and on "restore timeline" and the newer timeline-version showed up, even that the project was "older" than the timeline and everything came back.

maybe if you have an earlier version, of the project...
(somewhere in the backup-folder)
you can load the earlier version of the project and then add the "newer" timeline by restoring it.

sometimes the backups are not shown in Davinci, but are there in the folders where your automatic-
backups are done.

(sorry for my english)

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jun 17, 2024 4:26 am

Jim Simon wrote:You have to right click on the timeline in the bin to access the backups, so I don't think a new project would help.

Yes, to restore a Timeline backup, you have to be inside the original project, then select the timeline and right click it for these options:

I've been using the Timeline Backup function for some months but have yet to actually use one. Still, this is on top of the daily DRP backups we do everyday anyway, so it's kind of a belt & suspenders approach.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve