New timeline based on clip has different resolution

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

weegee

New timeline based on clip has different resolution

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 10:23 pm

Resolve 16 Studio on Mac. I have 3840x2160 clips. Right-click on clip, select "create timeline using selected clips." New timeline is 1920. (Checking res via Reslolve metadata panel).

Is this a bug, or user error?

Peter Cave

Re: New timeline based on clip has different resolution

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 2:30 am

Resolve metadata panel sometimes shows the wrong resolution. Check the resolution in the media pool.
Resolve 16.2
Mac OSX 10.14.6, Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM, Radeon RX 580 8GB
FSI LM1770 Calibrated Monitor, MIDIGrade 2.0, Zoom R16 Audio Interface.
Avid, FCPX, Premiere.

weegee

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 am

Peter Cave wrote:Resolve metadata panel sometimes shows the wrong resolution. Check the resolution in the media pool.

Just checked--it's showing as 1920x1080 in media pool as well.

SimplSam

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 4:06 am

I think the new Timeline inherits your current Project timeline settings by default.

You can either change the Project "Timeline resolution" in "Project Settings" (at any time) and all non-custom timelines should change to the new setting. The Project resolution can also be changed via the Cut page resolution drop-down (top-right).

Or you can select "Use Custom Settings" > "Format" and specify the desired resolution when creating the new timeline.
Resolve Studio 16.2 » Win 10 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB

Sam

weegee

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 5:03 am

That solves it, thanks. And didn't realize the Cut page had that dropdown, that's helpful.

SimplSam wrote:I think the new Timeline inherits your current Project timeline settings by default.

You can either change the Project "Timeline resolution" in "Project Settings" (at any time) and all non-custom timelines should change to the new setting. The Project resolution can also be changed via the Cut page resolution drop-down (top-right).

Or you can select "Use Custom Settings" > "Format" and specify the desired resolution when creating the new timeline.

Return to DaVinci Resolve