Grab Still does not store Group-Pre/Post nodes?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

G0bble

Grab Still does not store Group-Pre/Post nodes?

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi Folks
I have moved some common nodes that I intend to apply to all my clips into Group Pre & Post clips. But when I save a still to reuse for other clips only the nodes in the clip are saved not the ones in Pre & Post.
How to save these Pre/Post nodes for reuse in other projects for example - I was hoping to save these as a power grade. Right now I have to manually right-click in to groups and load it.
DVR Studio
Win 10 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 2070,32GB 3200Mhz RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

Re: Grab Still does not store Group-Pre/Post nodes?

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:40 pm

Here a situation where the following would be useful. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96227

Travis Ward

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:42 pm

You have to be in that node group (pre/post/timeline) and grab the still. Then the still will have a PRE, POST, or T tag on it, so you know where it came from.

It's better and safer to do it this way. Otherwise, you could accidentally apply a POST or TIMELINE grade to a clip you just wanted the normal grade from. Having them separated out like this is safer and more flexible.
Travis Ward

G0bble

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 8:16 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Here a situation where the following would be useful. ;)

I have arrived at a template node structure finally after struggling with color correction so long but my structure has pre and post group clips. The video is too long for me to sit through. OTOH - do you remember some approximate time-codes that you recommended I view specifically?

Travis Ward wrote:You have to be in that node group (pre/post/timeline) and grab the still. Then the still will have a PRE, POST, or T tag on it, so you know where it came from.

It's better and safer to do it this way. Otherwise, you could accidentally apply a POST or TIMELINE grade to a clip you just wanted the normal grade from. Having them separated out like this is safer and more flexible.

I checked this but if I apply a still with a pre or post only those nodes get applied. I want to apply the pre/clips/post in one click and also save it as a single power-grade. My pre has NR, the post has sharpening and final color transform to Rec.709 common to all clips.
DVR Studio
Win 10 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 2070,32GB 3200Mhz RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

Sam Steti

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:27 am

Hey,
Reading here, I wondered how I'd solve this...
Assuming the node tree already exists*, I think I would grab stills of each group (pre, clip, post) and make power grades. Then, in other projects, I'd load them in Shared nodes instead (*if I think it may cause problems, I'd make shared nodes instead of groups)
Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 1SSD for system, 2 SSDs raid0 for footage and caches, OSX ElCap and High Sierra, Resolve 15.3 Studio

Marc Wielage

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 3:49 am

G0bble wrote:I have arrived at a template node structure finally after struggling with color correction so long but my structure has pre and post group clips. The video is too long for me to sit through. OTOH - do you remember some approximate time-codes that you recommended I view specifically?

I think it's unwise (and dangerous) to use a Fixed Node Structure that also has a permanent Pre- and Post-Clip Grade. It's for reasons like that that you can't store Pre/Post/Clip/Timeline grades with just one click.

The workaround would be to have a really big Fixed Node Tree and just leave most of it turned off, which is actually what I do sometimes. When I need a specific style or look, I turn on those nodes (and those nodes only) and then apply that to a group of clips. That provides the same function as a Group Grade, and it can be copied as one big grade.

If I need to change those shots, I change the node, highlight all the clips, and then apply that grade to just that Node # throughout the sequence. This can work very effectively.

There are several conversations on the net you can search for more info on Fixed Node Grades.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

G0bble

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 8:02 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I think it's unwise (and dangerous) to use a Fixed Node Structure that also has a permanent Pre- and Post-Clip Grade. It's for reasons like that that you can't store Pre/Post/Clip/Timeline grades with just one click.

If I need to change those shots, I change the node, highlight all the clips, and then apply that grade to just that Node # throughout the sequence. This can work very effectively.

There are several conversations on the net you can search for more info on Fixed Node Grades.

Why dangerous? I thought the Pre/Post is just to add logical structure to ones workflow. Why should that be dangerous other than some side-effect of software not having some feature or capability or being buggy in some aspect.

So is there a shortcut to apply changes/settings from multiple nodes in one or two clicks to multiple clips in your style of working? For example copy nodes 1, 5,6,7 and paste them to multiple clips in a single operation such that apply only to nodes 1,5,6,7 in all the other selected clips?

Edit: For now I guess I will save the Pre/Post as power grades, import them into the next project and copy them into the new Pre/Post Groups again manually.
DVR Studio

Marc Wielage

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 6:04 am

G0bble wrote:Why dangerous? I thought the Pre/Post is just to add logical structure to ones workflow. Why should that be dangerous other than some side-effect of software not having some feature or capability or being buggy in some aspect.

Pre & Post-Clip Grades aren't inherently dangerous. Pasting them over new shots is dangerous. You can either take my word for it or not -- you'll discover for yourself whether I'm right or not. I gave you a method that can make this idea work, which is a large Fixed Node Tree. I can't stop you if you want to drive off a cliff.

I often say that one of the great things about Resolve is that it gives you multiple methods to accomplish the same thing. No two colorists will choose the same method, and the only two things that matter are 1) the results and 2) the amount of time it takes you to get there.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve