Cropping - Begin and End

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

eager to learn

Cropping - Begin and End

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 9:00 pm

My esteemed listmates,

I've learned the Cropping tool is under Inspector>Video and I can crop a video in the frame.

What's not clear to me is how I can ensure that a certain area of the video is properly cropped (stays cropped)?

Ex. Say you made a mistake with your camera and panned up too high so you caught some of the ceiling in your scene making 5-10 seconds on the video look awkward. You want to crop that 5-10 seconds so you don't see the ceiling but see just below the ceiling.

Can you pls share the exact step by step of how you ensure that 5-10 seconds is cropped form when your first see the ceiling area to the point in the video where where the camera properly panned down so you don't see that ceiling area anymore?

Is there a "marker" system to mark the beginning of a crop and then an end "marker" for that crop?

Thank you so much or your kind insights.

shenrods

Re: Cropping - Begin and End

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 9:22 pm

Suggestion without seeing the footage - this sounds like a good place for using an adjustment clip above the errant piece of footage. No need for markers or playing with the original timeline footage. . Easily done that way.

Sean Nelson

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 9:52 pm

eager to learn wrote:Ex. Say you made a mistake with your camera and panned up too high so you caught some of the ceiling in your scene making 5-10 seconds on the video look awkward. You want to crop that 5-10 seconds so you don't see the ceiling but see just below the ceiling.

Are you really sure you want to crop? Cropping the top of the video will leave a black band up there which is likely to be just as distracting. I suspect it might be better to zoom in the video a bit and reposition it so that the part you don't want is simply outside the frame.

eager to learn wrote:Can you pls share the exact step by step of how you ensure that 5-10 seconds is cropped form when your first see the ceiling area to the point in the video where where the camera properly panned down so you don't see that ceiling area anymore?

What you're looking for is called "keyframes". I suggest you invest an hour in watching the "Introduction to Editing" video on the BlackMagic training page. Trying to use Resolve by running around looking for YouTube videos or querying forums every time you need to do something novel is not a productive use of your time (or ours).
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Peter Cave

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 10:09 pm

Sean's advice is worth taking. Do some training before asking questions on the forums. Open the user manual and read about the feature you are asking about BEFORE posting.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

eager to learn

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 8:27 pm

I have indeed watched some of the training videos but the jargon is different from OpenShot.

I have a scene where the camera pans up from a 2 shot of 2 people but it pans a little too far up so you see a small but noticeable part of the ceiling along with the 2 people. I'd like to change that so when others watch the video that small part of the ceiling is not displayed but instead the frame is "framed" so you see the 2 people and just above them but not including the ceiling part. I was told by a DR user to crop that but perhaps he's wrong. If you could please share how I could "zoom" that and then save that "zoomed" view so the ceiling is not included I'd so very much appreciate those instructions.

I could share that very short clip (10 seconds? or less) but how would I best share a video here?

<snip>

Are you really sure you want to crop? Cropping the top of the video will leave a black band up there which is likely to be just as distracting. I suspect it might be better to zoom in the video a bit and reposition it so that the part you don't want is simply outside the frame.

xunile

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 8:37 pm

Have you tried using the Zoom controls in the Inspector?
Attachments
2021-04-02 (1).png
2021-04-02 (1).png (717.93 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
2021-04-02 (2).png
2021-04-02 (2).png (711.45 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

eager to learn

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 8:38 pm

I've uploaded a screenshot of the "upper white space" I'd like to remove to better frame the view.

Thank you!
Attachments
4-2-2021 Celing Needs to be Eliminated from View.jpg
4-2-2021 Celing Needs to be Eliminated from View.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 1797 times

eager to learn

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 8:45 pm

Hi Eric, Sorry your post just loaded with my browser. You graphic post looks like an excellent workable solution. I open Inspector and in Video I see Cropping but I don't see how you Zoom in Inspector? Also, once I do reach the Zoom tool how would I set the video length for it to zoom? Ex. I need it to zoom from say 3:52:20 until 4:02:10 - how do I set those parameters in Inspector? Thank you all so very much!

Sean Nelson

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 10:53 pm

eager to learn wrote:I have indeed watched some of the training videos but the jargon is different from OpenShot.

Half of the reason to go through the training is to learn the jargon so that you can find things in the manual and ask questions that people will understand.

Here's a link to a description of how to use keyframes. It's a topic that's far easier to demonstrate than it is to describe.

Any of the values in the Inspector panel can be keyframed, and you can put as many keyframes into a clip as you want so that the amount of zoom, the position of the image, etc. etc. can change exactly how you want as the clip plays.

The zoom control is the first thing underneath the "Transform" section in the Inspector panel. You'll likely also want to use the Position controls as well.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 12:20 am

eager to learn wrote:I have indeed watched some of the training videos
The training manuals are the way to go. Do the lessons.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

eager to learn

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi Sean and Eric,

Thank you both so very much for your help and sharing that Keyframe 5m35s video.

I finally got to watch it and keyframing enables you to do so much including creating a sort of animation – Way Cool!

I’ve watched that video 5 times and he goes so fast I don’t see how he “activates” the up/down arrows to the right of the Y access to change the numbers as he “drags” the scene?

I don’t see any up/down arrow in my Transform window so I’ve had to type in manually each number in the Y box, guessing exactly where I want the Y axis to “lower” the top to - which is really time consuming.

Can you please shed some insight as to how I “activate” those up/down arrows next to the Y axis so I, too, can drag the scene up and down to the exact look I want without having to type in numbers in the number window?

Thank you again.

Sean Nelson

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 3:18 pm

If you click the mouse inside any of the numeric entry boxes in the Inspector panel you should see a cursor inside the box (a blinking vertical line between two of the digits). When you see the cursor, you can use the up or down arrow keys to change the value.

The number immediately to the left of the cursor will go up or down by one for each press of the up/down arrow key. You can also use the left or right arrow keys to move the cursor to a more or less significant digit - this makes it easy to key over to the left to make big changes and then back over to the right to make small ones.

eager to learn

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 8:18 pm

Hi Sean, Thank you. I'm wondering if there are times one uses KeyFraming (Zoom) and other times one uses Cropping? When does a user know which to use since they seem (to a DR newbie) they do similar tasks?

In my video I need to bring the focus down as the camera pan was too high so it included some of the ceiling so I used KeyFraming (Zoom) for that. But, also there is an inclusion of a bike handle bars in the scene along the right so I Cropped that Right so it's a narrower view which excludes the bike handlebars.

I'm still a little hazy about how I limit the "duration" of the Keyframe and Crop? Say I want the Zoom to go from 51:01 through 2:39:00 - how do I best limit the zoom to just that time period? Does that technique also apply the same way to a Crop?

Thank you all so very much.

Sean Nelson

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 9:47 pm

eager to learn wrote:Hi Sean, Thank you. I'm wondering if there are times one uses KeyFraming (Zoom) and other times one uses Cropping?

Cropping will leave a black border (unless there's another layer of video behind). If you're trying to get rid of distraction at the edges then zoom is usually what you want because otherwise you get the black border, kind of like letterboxing back in the days of trying to show widescreen movies on 4:3 television sets.
eager to learn wrote:I'm still a little hazy about how I limit the "duration" of the Keyframe and Crop? Say I want the Zoom to go from 51:01 through 2:39:00 - how do I best limit the zoom to just that time period? Does that technique also apply the same way to a Crop?

Once you've enabled keyframing for a parameter (like zoom), you move the playhead on the timeline to a particular place in your clip, change the value (i.e., the zoom amount), move the playhead to another place, change the value again, and so on. The software will "ramp" the values by changing them smoothly from one keyframe (a place you placed the playhead and set values) to the next.

eager to learn

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi Eric and Sean – I hope this message finds you all well.

Zoom is exactly the tool I needed!

Thank you ever so much!

But, on my DR learning curve, once I rendered that project as an .MP4 file and watched the whole .MP4 through the end I noticed I zoomed too far to the left and then it ”recorded” me zooming left-right-left etc.

My bad.

Can I re-visit my DR project for that .MP4 and “adjust the zoom so that it’s not too far left and eliminate all the zooming left-right, etc?

Do I simply place the Play-head at the exact point I wish to begin the Zoom and then use the Zooming Tool in Inspector to zoom it to the correct point and then it will make all the following in that clip stay zoomed only to that point and not zoom farther left or right?

OR is there a “Duration” option to set the zoom so that it would Zoom left to the point I want and then for the next 3m30:05seconds stay zoomed? Thus, could I set the entire Zoom from say from 2m 10:05 seconds through 5m 40:10 seconds? Sorry for not being more articulate! Thank you ever so much!!

eager to learn

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Hi Sean,

I'm trying my best to get to viewing the video link you kindly provided.

"how to use keyframes".

My video down-loader is not working to download it and watch it offline when I have a minute or 2.

It looks like a great video and as soon as I can download it I'll watch ASAP.

Thank you again.

Sean Nelson

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 4:37 pm

eager to learn wrote:Can I re-visit my DR project for that .MP4 and “adjust the zoom so that it’s not too far left and eliminate all the zooming left-right, etc?

I think the simplest thing for you to do without having to go down the rabbit hole of dealing with the keyframe editor is to simply reset your zoom and position controls by clicking the "circular arrow" icons to the extreme right of each control, then re-do them the way you want.

eager to learn

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 10:58 pm

4-12-2021 Monday KeyFraming - Zooming - Changin Y Axis numbers.jpg
4-12-2021 Monday KeyFraming - Zooming - Changin Y Axis numbers.jpg (258.41 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

Hi Sean,
Sean wrote: “Once you've enabled keyframing for a parameter (like zoom), you move the playhead on the timeline to a particular place in your clip, change the value (i.e., the zoom amount), move the playhead to another place, change the value again, and so on. The software will "ramp" the values by changing them smoothly from one keyframe (a place you placed the playhead and set values) to the next.”

I’ve attached a jpg of what I see when I open DR 16 for Windows and select Inspector > Transform and cursor down to Zoom. I’m still familiarizing myself with DR verbiage so I don’t know if those steps constitute “enabling keyframing for a parameter”?
If not, would you pls elucidate what the steps are needed to enable keyframing?
I then place the cursor in the Zoom Y axis but the cursor never blinks. I just get a 2 headed arrow so if I then press the Arrow keys on the keyboard nothing happens. I see no Zoom.
If I type in any numbers in the Y axis Zoom window (e.g. .800) it just makes the clip smaller in the Viewer. My intention is to move the “frame left” so the bike handles, which awkwardly show on the right, can be eliminated from the frame (so an audience wont see the bike handles on the right of the 2 people talking on screen in the video.
I then tried using the Position Y axis and that did nothing even when I type in numbers in the numbers window.
I tried this on a very short video clip, other than the one I need to finish editing ASAP, just to see what I can eliminate anything in that video on the right and it didn’t “Zoom Out” a credenza on the right off the screen.

Do I need to press any of the those diamond-shaped figures on the Zoom “panel” where some red and some in black?

Could this be a Mac -vs- Windows PC difference?

Thank you so very much as I'm learning so much of the DR nuances!

Peter Cave

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 3:30 am

Open up the Resolve User Manual and read about keyframing on the Edit Page.
You REALLY need to do some basic training as you are missing a lot of fundamental principles that apply to all video editing software. e.g. In your posted image you have not selected the clip on the timeline, therefore you are not applying keyframes to that clip. Everything is context related so if you want to make a chane to a clip on the timeline you MUST select it first!
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Sean Nelson

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 5:58 am

I gotta agree with Peter. There's not a lot of point in us investing so much time documenting everything here when it's already in the manuals and in a lot of other online material.

eager to learn

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 pm

I have 95% of my video done.

I've used the Cropping Tool to eliminate the bike handles on the right in the video.

What's not clear is if the scene goes on for 3 minute 50 seconds (just example) how do I ensure that the whole 3 minute 50 seconds it stays cropped for that time?

Is there a function I click to ensure that?

Ex. You can cut but pressing the i key to begin and th4 O key to end the cut.

How do I ensure the Crop's beginning and end?

I'm so close to finishing!!

Thank you!!!

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 1:26 am

As long as you don't activate keyframing any setting will last for the whole length.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

eager to learn

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 1:26 pm

Hi Uli and all,

In my video I set the initial crop Right at 680.00 but as it progresses along the clip up through 3 minutes the crop creeps over from showing no handle-bars in the frame to showing a little part of them. I don't recall Key-framing or doing anything to create that "creeping."

That's why I'm asking re: how to set the Crop Right at a certain number and keep it there.

After I choose the 685.00 there is a diamond-shape little icon that's white colored. Do I need to click on that icon to change it to red to make the cop permanent?

I didn't see any mention of "anchoring" the crop in the Manual not any mention in 3 DR YT videos.

Thank you!

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 2:00 pm

Please learn keyframe animation in DR. It'll give you much better possibilities.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

eager to learn

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:02 pm

I absolutely will learn Keyframes when time permits but as I need to get the bike handlebars out of frame and cropping ASAP it seemed the quickest way to "frame" the interview scene eliminating unwanted material in the scene. I set the Crop Right and it looks good but doesn't remain the same value as the video plays.

Any further thoughts on Cropping this? Anything to do with that diamond-shape ion being white or red?

Thank you/

xunile

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 5:00 pm

The diamond-shaped icons are the keyframe controls.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

eager to learn

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 5:38 pm

So, if I'm just Cropping I should NOT touch those keyframe controls?

Just leave them white and only click them to red if keyframing a segment of the video clip?

If I understand you correctly, then that would explain the movement in/out of the cropping.

Thank you ever so much for that very helpful clarification!

Sean Nelson

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 7:08 pm

eager to learn wrote:I absolutely will learn Keyframes when time permits but as I need to get the bike handlebars out of frame and cropping ASAP

You've been asking questions about these same cropping issues for over a week now. If you'd have taken an hour or two to go through that section of the manual then you'd be a lot better off.

eager to learn

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 7:53 pm

I just watched the 1st 2 minute of the 6 min video linked here re: learning Keyframing.
The instructor seems to suggest I ...
1. Place Playhead where you want the Keyframe to begin
2. click the white diamond-shaped icon ("Keyframer")
3. Move Playhead to where you wish the Keyframe to end
4. click the Zoom button (in HIS case he can place the cursor in the Zoom number box and an arrow appears (Mine NO arrow appears so I have to guess what number to change it to.

I changed it to .890 for a test.

I then place the Playhead back at 49:00 and click Play and the scene appears as it does before the Keyframe like the ceiling is falling.

I saw nothing in the text-based manual with graphic of how to fix this. Can you recommend certain pages where this is addressed?

I'm trying to learn as fast as I can.

Perhaps, another newbie like me could please share insight.

Thank you!

Peter Cave

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:49 pm

There is a whole chapter in the Resolve User Manual called "Keyframing Effects in the Edit Page".
Read it all. Your understanding of how keyframes work is seriously wrong.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

eager to learn

PostSun May 23, 2021 10:50 pm

I'm experiencing more than what's shared or explained in the DR manual or any video tutorial I've seen. I move the playhead where I want the 2 crops to begin, then click both the Crop Right and Crop To from the diamond-shaped symbol from white to both red. I then move the playhead by both moving the playhead along with the mouse and then incrementally with the right-pointing arrow to reach the precise point I wish the crops to end. I then use the sliders for the Crop Top and Crop Right to where I want the frame to be copped. I then place the mouse on the playhead and press the Home key returning the video cropped to the beginning the crop and press play. It plays but only crops right, it doesn't crop Top. I don't know if there are other steps to ensure the cropping of both? Thank you.

Return to DaVinci Resolve