Can't Restore Waveform View

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

yonkiman

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 8:34 pm

Editing video, including editing some audio with an external editor (iZotope RX 8). Everything works fine editing and sound-wise, but the waveform view disappears at some point. So I:

- Search for the command to make Resolve rebuild waveforms but can't find it. (There must be one, right?)
- See that some people have had success deleting their CacheClip directories.
- I delete my cacheclip directories, relaunch Resolve, let it rebuild waveforms and...
- Audio for unmodified clips now have waveforms, but
- Waveforms for clips with modified audio (.wav file format) still not visible in Edit view, BUT
- Waveforms for all clips are visible in Fairlight view!

How can I get my waveforms back in the Edit window? If I can't see the sound, the editing I need to do is going to take about 100 times longer.

Windows 10, Resolve Studio 17.1.1 Build 9.
Last edited by yonkiman on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiveshorts

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Welcome to Resolve, and the. Never ending “where are my audio waveforms?” debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yonkiman

Re: Can't Restore Waveform View

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 9:54 pm

fiveshorts wrote:Welcome to Resolve, and the. Never ending “where are my audio waveforms?” debate.

I mean, I knew it was glitchy, but I figured at worst there had to be a PITA workaround.

But to have them visible in one view but not in the other? That's...not what I'd expect in software that is so solid in most other respects.

I'm going to take a break from deleting .pfl files and cache directories and take a nap (or hopefully wake up from the nightmare this project has suddenly become?).

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 6:41 am

Was your track height in the edit page too small? and were waveforms on?
Is so, and you can generate a simple project that repos this please provide as ive not seen it here although im aware of reports from some time, inc from Trevor.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

yonkiman

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 8:52 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Was your track height in the edit page too small? and were waveforms on?

No and yes. The waveforms were visible for a while. There was an audio track above it that continued to show waveforms. I moved a clip from the problem track to the track above (which again, was showing waveforms), but that clip still didn't display any waveforms.

Is so, and you can generate a simple project that repos this please provide as ive not seen it here although im aware of reports from some time, inc from Trevor.

Well unfortunately after wrestling with it for too long, I just created a new project and started over. When I was done I deleted the previous projects.

There's one thing about this that might be a clue. The video I was working on came from Nvidia's screen recording software. There were two audio streams, my PC's audio and mic audio from me. Both were stereo. Before I restarted the project I muxed the audio so it had two mono tracks.

That's the only slightly unusual thing I can think of.

Thanks for getting back to me, anyway!

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am

That's not slightly unusual. DR has problems with VFR and most screen recordings are VFR. Did you use ShadowPlay? Don't!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 3:44 pm

yonkiman wrote:The video I was working on came from Nvidia's screen recording software.
I always recommend hardware recorders for screen capture you intend to edit. They typically offer editing friendly options like DNx and ProRes, whereas software normally doesn't.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ideoassist
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

yonkiman

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:18 pm

Uli Plank wrote:That's not slightly unusual. DR has problems with VFR and most screen recordings are VFR. Did you use ShadowPlay? Don't!

Well that's interesting. I used Nvidia Experience's screen recorder which is either Shadowplay or Shadowplay's successor (don't know if they changed anything about it since they dropped the Shadoplay name). I recorded about 2.5 hours of video that I edited down to 90 minutes. The video had lots of moments where absolutely nothing was changing, which I imagine is where VFR would really kick in.

But Resolve had no issues with the video (or audio, at least initially). Maybe this was just a fluke - I'll keep it in mind if I ever do this again and have problems.

yonkiman

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:32 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I always recommend hardware recorders for screen capture you intend to edit. They typically offer editing friendly options like DNx and ProRes, whereas software normally doesn't.

I don't do this often enough (in fact this might be my first and last time) to justify a hardware recorder, but thanks for the suggestion.

Return to DaVinci Resolve