AU plugin causes out of sync export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

iblackmagic

AU plugin causes out of sync export

PostWed May 12, 2021 8:37 am

Hi, there's actually a topic on this here https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=97214, but as it's a bit old, i preferred to create a new one. My case is the ERA 5 audio clean-up assistant. Loading it as a VST makes Davinci crash, so it only works as a AU plugin, but i had the same phenomenon of out of lip sync audio. I suspect it's the same breath control option as in izotope's RX plugin.
I just wanted to ask what's the difference between a Clip-based effect and a Track-based effect. I'm applying the effect on the audio track in Fairlight in the mixer panel. Doing so, i have the following options available :
If the plugin is instantiated as a Clip-based effect, right click the Audio Clip and select either:
"Cache Audio Effects"

For Track-based effects, use:
Timeline menu > Bounce Selected Track to New Layer
Timeline menu > Bounce Mix to Track

What difference does it make upon exporting the recording ?

Reynaud Venter

Re: AU plugin causes out of sync export

PostWed May 12, 2021 9:01 am

iblackmagic wrote:Loading it as a VST makes Davinci crash, so it only works as a AU plugin
Post a link to the crash log which should indicate if the plugin or the host is crashing.

Consider including a system spec in your signature.

i had the same phenomenon of out of lip sync audio. I suspect it's the same breath control option as in izotope's RX plugin.
The Era plugin will introduce latency.
https://support.accusonus.com/hc/en-us/ ... e-products

Instantiate a Track-based instance and confirm the latency introduced via the Track Index panel (ADC column).

what's the difference between a Clip-based effect and a Track-based effect.
Track-based instances are latency compensated in Flexi Bus mode.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

iblackmagic

PostWed May 12, 2021 9:25 am

Instantiate a Track-based instance and confirm the latency introduced via the Track Index panel (ADC column).

sorry, I'm still learning DR, when applying the effect on the audio track in Fairlight (with the breath control), i don't see any specific value in the ADC column, yet can observe the small latency on the video...

Reynaud Venter

PostWed May 12, 2021 9:33 am

iblackmagic wrote:when applying the effect on the audio track in Fairlight (with the breath control), i don't see any specific value in the ADC column, yet can observe the small latency on the video...
Izotope RX Breath Control introduces 26,623 samples (555 ms) of latency.

Instantiated as a Track-based plugin (i.e. via a Mixer channel's insert) the ADC column of the Tracks Index reflects the latency introduced.

The Breath Control plugin also indicates the total system delay by clicking the gear icon in the plugin UI with the option of enabling/disabling delay compensation.

iblackmagic

PostWed May 12, 2021 9:39 am

ok now i see. Tested with izotope (although i don't use it that much) and indeed there's the latency factor displayed in the ACL column.
Also discovered on your ERA5 link why using the audio clean-up assistant has 0 latency displayed :
The ERA 5 Audio Clean-Up Assistant functions as a “container” for the rest of the ERA 5 plugins loaded inside it. The total latency is the sum of the latency of each plugin used inside it each time.

That's kinda bummer, as it was practical to have all desired effects displayed together in the same tray.
So i guess I'll have to apply each one of them individually to find out the latency and see whether they have a compensate latency option...

iblackmagic

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:40 am

ok, verifying each plugin individually, it's the ERA5 voice leveler plugin that introduces most of the latency (even without activation breath control and emphasis).
Funny thing there's no apparent option in those plugins to compensate for the lag, as in izotope.
So i guess the only way then to compensate is this :
Track-based instances are latency compensated in Flexi Bus mode.

So what does this mean ? Do i have to manually check an option somewhere ? Is it still useful to opt for 'cache audio effects'?

Return to DaVinci Resolve