Audio tracks delayed when adding Izotope RX plugins

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AustinWitherspoon

Audio tracks delayed when adding Izotope RX plugins

PostSat May 15, 2021 1:08 am

I discovered an interesting bug in resolve - I can add resolve's own audio effects to a track and they're fine, but for some reason if I had Izotope RX VST plugins, there's a delay on the audio and all of the cuts are off. I've reproduced this on 3 computers with the Voice Denoise plugin and DeClick plugin on a single track.

This DOESN'T occur when using Adobe Audition or Steinberg Nuendo. Only in Resolve.

It may be because they plugins are taking a lot of processing time and resolve isn't compensating for that like other audio editing software does perhaps?

Not a deal breaker, I've just gone back to Nuendo for doing basic audio stuff, but being unable to use RX plugins means that in a lot of situations, I can't use the fairlight tab for what I want to do.

Curious if I'm overlooking something though, and there's an easy fix to this?

Reynaud Venter

Re: Audio tracks delayed when adding Izotope RX plugins

PostSat May 15, 2021 4:09 pm

Which version of Resolve is installed? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Is this in Fixed Bussing mode or Flexi mode with Resolve 17.x?
Project Preferences > Fairlight > Audio Busing Mode

Plugin latency is compensated in Flexi Bus mode, while in Fixed Bussing mode the Fairlight Audio Accelerator card is required for delay compensation.

AustinWitherspoon

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:59 pm

Resolve Studio 17. "Use Fixed Bus Mapping" is unchecked.

So it sounds like a bug, if this being unchecked means delay should be compensated for.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed May 19, 2021 6:22 am

Are the instantiated plugins Clip-based (not compensated) or Track-based (compensated)?

The RX DeClick plugin is extremely inefficient and introduces considerable latency - in excess of 4063 samples (85 ms) in low latency mode and as much as 31931 samples (665 ms) in standard single band mode.

RX Voice DeNoise is zero latency and sync is maintained as both a Track and Clip-based effect on my system.

Configuring RX as an External Audio Process sidesteps the inefficiency of the RX suite of plugins:
Preferences > System > Audio Plugins > Setup External Audio Processes
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Richard Dean

PostWed May 19, 2021 10:36 am

As an RX user I send it as an external process. Sure it would be nice if the RX plug-ins worked inside Fairlight, but you still wouldn't have the power (and maybe learning?) that the RX app has. I really like the workflow inside RX Advanced where once you save, resolve updates automatically.

John Paines

PostWed May 19, 2021 11:45 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:Plugin latency is compensated in Flexi Bus mode

But you don't mean RX plugins, do you? Izotope still doesn't qualify these plugins for Resolve.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed May 19, 2021 11:57 am

John Paines wrote:But you don't mean RX plugins, do you?
Yes. The Track Index indicates the ADC value for each path in Flexi Bus mode.

John Paines

PostWed May 19, 2021 12:04 pm

You've tried and succeeded? No sync loss or anomalies with the more demanding rx plugins?

Return to DaVinci Resolve