Vegas Pro user wishlist for Davinci...

• Author

arthur7

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:35 pm

As they are customizations to FCPX or Premiere PRO users, so is more logical to give the option to have a button for AUTO CROSSFADING and later dragging over if needed another transition fx just as simply Vegas Pro has.. also the zoom in/out should detect when cursor is in timeline area and AUTO zooms in/out just by the mouse wheel.. and one other i should be able to click in any empty space in timeline area and timeline bar position should move to that spot and if hold and drag should highlight multiple clips in its area! THAT SIMPLE!!! shall i continue further more.. i find more informative to my eyes when Video and Audio of each clip is together regardless of how many tracks there are... and Ripple Edit i find it better behaved in Vegas PRO.

arthur7

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:35 pm

As they are customizations to FCPX or Premiere PRO users, so is more logical to give the option to have a button for AUTO CROSSFADING and later dragging over if needed another transition fx just as simply Vegas Pro has.. also the zoom in/out should detect when cursor is in timeline area and AUTO zooms in/out just by the mouse wheel.. and one other i should be able to click in any empty space in timeline area and timeline bar position should move to that spot and if hold and drag should highlight multiple clips in its area! THAT SIMPLE!!! shall i continue further more.. i find more informative to my eyes when Video and Audio of each clip is together regardless of how many tracks there are... and Ripple Edit i find it better behaved in Vegas PRO.

Jack Swart

Re: Vegas Pro user wishlist for Davinci...

PostTue May 18, 2021 11:17 pm

You can timeline zoom by holding the Alt (option) key and using the mouse wheel.

Crossfade on video or audio is as simple as right click on the cut point and choose duration.

The playhead will move to the cursor if you click on its bar.

It has always been possible to click and drag over multiple clips across all tracks.

The CUT page may be what you are looking for to show audio and video "is together"

Please explain " Ripple edit is better behaved"? The CUT page again is where you should be looking

Please continue further more.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 19, 2021 1:51 am

There are Premiere people who often ask, "hey, why can't Resolve act more like Premiere?" And then there are Avid people who ask, "hey, why can't Resolve act more like Avid?" And FCPX people who ask, "hey, why can't Resolve act more like FCPX?"

My reaction is, you'll get further in Resolve by not fighting the interface, just accepting the way it is, and starting to memorize the basic shortcuts you need to use in order to get through a session. I do find a control surface or at least a macro keyboard can help. I concede that this is totally a personal decision on which not everybody will agree.

[edited because my original message made no sense]
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Sun May 23, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Leslie Wand

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:07 am

Marc Wielage wrote:There are Premiere people who often ask, "hey, why can't Resolve act more like Premiere?" And then there are Avid people who ask, "hey, why can't Resolve act more like Premiere?" And FCPX people who ask, "hey, why can't Resolve act more like Premiere?"

My reaction is, you'll get further in Resolve by not fighting the interface, just accepting the way it is, and starting to memorize the basic shortcuts you need to use in order to get through a session. I do find a control surface or at least a macro keyboard can help. I concede that this is totally a personal decision on which not everybody will agree.

coming to resolve as a long time user of vegas, which i could operate almost blindfolded, i cursed the learning curve, lack of 'vegas' shortcuts, etc., etc.,

but as marc wrote above, forget what you know, open your mind and learn afresh - nle editing theory remains the same, just some keys have been disguised to hinder the innocent ;-)

(after using resolve for a few years now, i fired up an old pc that had vegas on it - i threw in some clips to play with and in no time at all was so confused that i gave up. something about teaching an old dog new tricks ;-))
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:13 am

Leslie Wand wrote:coming to resolve as a long time user of vegas, which i could operate almost blindfolded, i cursed the learning curve, lack of 'vegas' shortcuts, etc., etc., but as marc wrote above, forget what you know, open your mind and learn afresh - nle editing theory remains the same, just some keys have been disguised to hinder the innocent ;-)

That's basically the deal. Hey, I just had a week where I had to move from the Advanced Panels (200 buttons that do 3 things each) to the Mini Panel (56 buttons that do 2 or 3 things each), and I floundered for hours. You get really spoiled driving a Ferrari when you have to suddenly move over to a Bicycle.

But you can still get useful work done on a Bicycle. And you can bounce back and forth between programs to a point. It does help to use Keyboard Customization if you find you're stumbling over and over again on a key combination of something you use a lot. As I often gripe, there's no SAVE button on the Mini Panel or the Micro Panel... and we used to have 2 Save buttons on the Advanced Panel, and now we have one. So every day is a bit of a struggle, but we persevere.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:39 pm

The biggest mistake I made after switching from Premiere Pro was thinking that my previous experience meant I could just jump into a new NLE without difficulty.

Nope.

Thankfully, BMD has made some really great training resources available for us.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

I recommend the Beginner's Guide and Advanced Editing (below the video section) as a solid groundwork for working with Resolve. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

arthur7

PostThu May 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Jack Swart wrote:You can timeline zoom by holding the Alt (option) key and using the mouse wheel.

Crossfade on video or audio is as simple as right click on the cut point and choose duration.

The playhead will move to the cursor if you click on its bar.

It has always been possible to click and drag over multiple clips across all tracks.

The CUT page may be what you are looking for to show audio and video "is together"

Please explain " Ripple edit is better behaved"? The CUT page again is where you should be looking

Please continue further more.

BUT this is my concept of skipping things and earning more time!! Why have an ALT key to do it? Why cant i just drag a clip and automatic i see live my crossfade duration and skip that right click and typing a number? Why cant i have faster and simpler all day thousand adjustments keeping it fast and simple and less headaches? I talk about specific edit behaviours which will dramastically change the speed of editing not every shortcut and menus! just THESE! Thank U.

arthur7

PostThu May 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Leslie Wand wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:There are Premiere people who often ask, "hey, why can't Resolve act more like Premiere?" And then there are Avid people who ask, "hey, why can't Resolve act more like Premiere?" And FCPX people who ask, "hey, why can't Resolve act more like Premiere?"

coming to resolve as a long time user of vegas, which i could operate almost blindfolded, i cursed the learning curve, lack of 'vegas' shortcuts, etc., etc.,

but as marc wrote above, forget what you know, open your mind and learn afresh - nle editing theory remains the same, just some keys have been disguised to hinder the innocent ;-)

(after using resolve for a few years now, i fired up an old pc that had vegas on it - i threw in some clips to play with and in no time at all was so confused that i gave up. something about teaching an old dog new tricks ;-))

Overall the things i highlight can help even edit with only your one hand gaining time and speed, also as i mentioned the Ripple Edit behaviour is not one would expect as easy!

arthur7

PostThu May 20, 2021 5:01 pm

NO the interface and menus are great! I highlight the things which are used to be done thousand times in every project! Using the edit simplicity of Vegas Pro you can notice that and all by using your one hand! Also keep in mind that most editors do basic and simple stuffs and are not of your high caliber!

Trensharo

PostSat May 22, 2021 7:28 am

VEGAS behaves more like consumer video editors and DAWs more than professional NLEs, so asking for behavior to change to mimic it is not going to be met with lots of open arms. There is a reason why many NLEs do not have auto fades, and lasso selection in Premiere Pro was dysfunctional for the longest time (probably still is).

Some of that stuff is personal preference (where to click to move the play head, how the mouse scroll wheel behaves).

Personally, I think VEGAS users should be happy they finally have an NLE that can play back footage in real time, has functional GPU acceleration/utilization (beyond Encode/Decode - but that's not helping the playback... lol), and doesn't charge for what amounts to a service pack. Read the manual (as you go, not all at once), and you'll be fine. BMD has nice training material available, as well.

I do recommend going through at least the first Editing Training Material, as that will get you familiarized with a lot of Resolve in terms of the Edit page.

This is like the 10th+ "Make it like VEGAS" thread that has popped up. Nothing needs to be made like VEGAS. A lot of what makes VEGAS like VEGAS is why people stopped telling others to use it, because they brought bad habits created by those behaviors with them - and the expectation for those behaviors to be there were bolted on, as well.

Resolve has implemented functionality that BMD finds beneficial to the workflow and strengthens the software in the areas that make it stronger for the markets they are targeting.

I'm not really seeing a ton of mimicry of FCP and PP, unless you're talking about a cut page that looks and functions more like Corel VideoStudio than Final Cut or iMovie, frankly...

Operating an NLE with one hand hasn't been a concern since the first Nostromo and Naga devices hit the market. Every NLE or DAW I use has been one handed out of the box since about 2006. I create a mapping for each, and they all have the same functions mapped to the same keys. The only time I care about the key map for high-usage functions is when I'm setting that stuff up.

Functions specific to each application have to be learned by rote, since Resolve cannot create mimic mappings for functionality that does not exist in other applications.

Trensharo

PostSat May 22, 2021 7:56 am

Jack Swart wrote:The CUT page may be what you are looking for to show audio and video "is together"

He is referring to how Resolve has a bar separating Video Tracks from Audio Tracks, like many other NLEs do (Avid, Adobe, Apple, etc.). VEGAS Allows you to just put the tracks wherever you want them.

However, when dragging Audio-Visual media into the VEGAS timeline, it will default to putting the audio tracks under the video tracks, all of them. To have a video's audio right under it (first video you drag in naturally is this way, if it has audio embedded), you actually have to import it and then drag the corresponding audio track to be under it.

So, it seems even the VEGAS developers have set the default in the "expected" way. The people intermixing the track types like this are doing actually moving the tracks out of their default position. They also likely have relatively small track stacks, so the organizational chaos that arises from doing this is kept in check.

Edius Pro is one NLE that does have a specific AV Track Type where the Audio and Video are kept together. Most Consumer/Prosumer NLEs also work with these types of tracks by default (PowerDirector, Pinnacle Studio, MAGIX Video Pro X, etc.). For people who like to work in this way, it may be a great option.

It's kind of what VEGAS Pro markets itself as, but never delivers.

Max Paperno

PostSun May 23, 2021 6:43 pm

Trensharo wrote:Personally, I think VEGAS users should be happy they finally have an NLE that can play back footage in real time, ...

Sorry to nitpick (I ignored a similar comment from someone in another similar thread a while ago), but the fact here (in my setup, I mean) is that Vegas plays back much smoother than DR[S]. Just look at all the "stuttering playback" threads on this forum, many comparing DR to other NLEs. I almost ditched DR outright because of that when I started using it, but with some optimizations and learned behavior I can deal with it.

I do sorta miss the auto-crossfades and not sure why that couldn't be an option. eg. hold key while dragging clip to overlap with a transition, or even "always Insert clip with transitions" preference. But OTOH one can also just select multiple cut points and add all the transitions at once, so I got over that pretty quick.

The biggest thing I miss is an adjustable-size preview window on external monitor. DRS can do it full-screen only, with no interaction (zoom/pan), which is especially not great when the monitor resolution doesn't match the source. (Oh, except on the Fairlight page... which is just odd! That viewer, but with size presets, full-screen option, and zoom/pan controls, would be great.)

Cheers,
-Max

Marc Wielage

PostSun May 23, 2021 9:53 pm

Max Paperno wrote:Sorry to nitpick (I ignored a similar comment from someone in another similar thread a while ago), but the fact here (in my setup, I mean) is that Vegas plays back much smoother than DR[S]. Just look at all the "stuttering playback" threads on this forum, many comparing DR to other NLEs. I almost ditched DR outright because of that when I started using it, but with some optimizations and learned behavior I can deal with it.

Throw enough hardware at Resolve -- lots of CPU cores, lots of RAM, powerful GPUs -- it gets noticeably faster.

The biggest thing I miss is an adjustable-size preview window on external monitor. DRS can do it full-screen only, with no interaction (zoom/pan), which is especially not great when the monitor resolution doesn't match the source.

Actually, you can at least zoom into that monitor if you do it as a Timeline PTZR adjustment.

Max Paperno

PostSun May 23, 2021 10:39 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Throw enough hardware at Resolve -- lots of CPU cores, lots of RAM, powerful GPUs -- it gets noticeably faster.

Got any unused RTX GPUs lying around you want to sell? ;) But yea, sure better HW is always great, just saying... apples to apples.

Marc Wielage wrote:Actually, you can at least zoom into that monitor if you do it as a Timeline PTZR adjustment.

Hmm, good idea, hadn't considered that, really. I guess could do it via an adjustment layer, to not affect the actual edit. But still kinda awkward. Also not possible for source clips.

While we're on the subject, I'd love to have the option of showing Preview and/or Source viewer on separate monitor(s). Seems pretty basic. Like "Full View" on Color.. but movable.

Overall I do like the organization which the DR UI brings, and in general the different windows are reasonably laid out and somewhat customizable, especially in dual monitor mode. But I do miss the ability of dragging certain windows to wherever I'd like them to be, like especially the viewers. A few windows can already be independently positioned (scopes, history), so personally I'd like to see some more of that. I think there's a sweet(er) spot somewhere between the "dozens of dockable windows" approach many other NLEs employ (flexible but can get messy and waste space) vs. the cleaner and more pre-set UX direction which DR (mostly) takes.

Cheers,
-Max

SkierEvans

PostMon May 24, 2021 2:14 am

I have Resolve Studio 17.2 with Speed Editor, EDIUS 9 and X as well as Vegas 18. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. Have them all set up to operate in much the same way with my Shuttle ProV2 so that simple editing with any of them is close to the same. Have had Vegas and EDIUS from their beginnings and came to Resolve in the last few years mainly for the colour page. I do agree with the OP that for my simple family video clips I still use Vegas as it is so easy to assemble and drag clips over one another for video and audio transitions. This feature would be a great addition to the CUT page using button combination on the Speed Editor. As to performance. With UHD clips from my GH5 and GH5S Resolve is considerably faster than either Vegas or EDIUS using a lot less PC resources.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

panos_mts

PostMon May 24, 2021 8:09 am

Max Paperno wrote:I do sorta miss the auto-crossfades and not sure why that couldn't be an option. eg. hold key while dragging clip to overlap with a transition
You can do this by holding alt+shift+drag. The only difference with Vegas is that once you create the transition, you can't adjust it afterwards by dragging the clip

Max Paperno

PostMon May 24, 2021 4:46 pm

panos_mts wrote:You can do this by holding alt+shift+drag. The only difference with Vegas is that once you create the transition, you can't adjust it afterwards by dragging the clip

Cool, thanks, I had no idea. Just tried it real quick but yea, it still cuts the "under" clip at wherever the dragged one is dropped the first time, so not quite the same. Actually made me realize the basic difference of how Vegas keeps the "under" clip uncut so one can slide the "over" clip around whenever one wants w/out re-trimming the "under" one. Anyway, good to know!

ironik

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 12:47 am

So I also want to switch from Vegas. Davinci is great!

But I really miss auto-ripple switch. I discovered for now, that I can do several things with special shortcuts, but still this isn't that easy, how was in vegas....

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests